My Air Guitar Gently Weeps

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 7th, 2007, 11:11 pm

http://bjornturoque.com

for release 09-07-07
Washington DC
by Lightning Rod

The very existence of something called Air Guitar insults me as a musician. This week in Finland there is a contest to determine the world champion Air Guitar player. Finland doesn't have a Nobel Prize, so I guess they have to take what they can get. Of course Air Guitar players don't play guitar at all, they pantomime playing the guitar while a karioke soundtrack backs them up. It's High or Low comedy, depending on how you look at it.

I play a WIND instrument. There is actual air involved. Why isn't there a contest for Air Flute? It's not as phallic as the Air Guitar, I suppose. Maybe that's why I am offended--masculinity thing.

I can understand the yearly Van Cliburn piano competition in Ft. Worth. The competitors spend years learning their skills and their music. The contest exhibits demonstrable talent and effort. But The World Air-Guitar Championship, held annually in Oulu, Finland, since 1996 is more mysterious to me.

The whole concept of Air Guitar is pathetic really. These are people that are the ultimate talentless wannabes. If they want to be guitar players, why don't they get a guitar and learn to play it? Oh, but that's too hard. It's easier to pretend.

Sometimes faking it is as good a making it. Look at our government for example. They are playing Air Government. It's a pantomime, a lip synch. It has nothing particularly to do with the real world. I cite as an immediate example: the interminable presidential debates that we are trying to avoid watching on cable TV. All the hopefuls are playing Air Guitar, trying to look presidential without actually being president.

The beauty of Air Guitar is that it takes absolutely no skill. Any idiot with a boom box can do it. I suppose it's like any other art or sport--it's ultimately useless, purely for entertainment, much like politics.

It's perfectly symbolic of our culture to make believe that you are doing something when you are really just taking up time and space.

One of the fascinating aspects of American culture in the media age is that we seem to be able to convince ourselves that we are participating when we are really only watching. Spectator sports are popular. We think we know celebrities when we see their faces day after day on TV and magazine covers. In our imaginations they become part of our families. Think of them as Air Families. Make-believe families because we don't actually play the guitar or have real families.

"I'm jammin', man."
"I'm jammin', man."
How many times have you heard somebody say that while they are listening to music on headphones? "I'm jammin', man."
No, you are NOT jammin', man, you are listening to music. Jamming means that you are participating in the music, adding to it, not just listening to it. What you are doing is Air Jamming. It's the illusion of participating without actually participating.

Umberto Eco in his essay Travels in Hyperreality has priceless things to say about this subject. He insists that Americans prefer the facsimile to the original. We call Coca-Cola 'The Real Thing' when it is actually sugar water that has no cocaine in it. We want every Main Street to look like Disney World. We are addicted to make-believe reality. I wonder what his comments would be on Air Guitar?

The Poet's Eye is still looking for a real guitar. Who knows? Maybe I'm writing Air Poetry.

I look at you all see the love there thats sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps
I dont know why nobody told you how to unfold your love
I dont know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you.
--George Harrison
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 8th, 2007, 9:58 am

Real Guitar
It's so easy a kid can do it

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/98y0Q7nLGWk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/98y0Q7nLGWk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 8th, 2007, 11:19 am

I'm not too crazy about it. But on a kitschy level it seems most people like it. I hope I don't see someone air guitaring to Andre Segovia!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 24th, 2009, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 9th, 2007, 10:53 am

i was one of the finest air guitarists in the area back in 1968 but had to give it up. the competition grew by leaps and bounds as did the influences. name me any young man/boy who hasn't gotten a kick out of watching the lead guitarist of their favorite band do a mind-blowing solo, amped out to an 11. it's a sexually repressive form of exhibitionism.. electric masturbation before a voyeuristic world. :)

libberator

Post by libberator » September 9th, 2007, 1:10 pm

My only regret so far in my short life is never learning to play the guitar. I know a lot about the instrument and all of the great players and I can recognize a great guitarist from one who just fills in the blanks between singing. Friends have asked me why I've never taken up the instrument and normally I make up some excuse like I just don't have the time or the money. These are true but in reality I'm really afraid of becoming a cliche, just another long haired suburbanite teen who can really only play the opening bars of Smoke on the Water. Also I prefer the my own niche of being a good piano and keyboard player and an even better song writer, if only I could find a band.

Despite my lack of ability on a guitar when I hear a great guitarist play it reaches out and grabs me and I have to move to the music, it doesn't matter how lame pretending looks I just make sure I'm never taking myself seriously. It's too bad the guys on the hill playing air government seem to take themselves way too seriously

Oh and nice video choice, caprice no. 24 is one of my favorites.
[size=117]Cut It Up[/size]

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 9th, 2007, 1:58 pm

libberator,

Do you have recordings of your songs? I would love to hear them.

Can you imagine there being a competition for Air Piano? How about Air Songwriting? (I think the Rap guys have that one covered)

The Poet's Eye

libberator

Post by libberator » September 9th, 2007, 3:57 pm

I don't have any recordings of my piano playing, I've been meaning to get a digital recorder for a while but unfortunately it's not high on my list of priorities right now. I could post some of my songwriting though.
Lately though I've actually been learning to play While my guitar gently weeps.
Can you imagine there being a competition for Air Piano?
I can see it now, men and women of all ages sitting down on a black school and pretending to play and missing all the flats and sharps while Mozart, Beethoven, or maybe even Guns N' Roses or Andrew W.K. plays over loud speakers.
[size=117]Cut It Up[/size]

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 25th, 2007, 12:19 am

I'm playing my air sitar...LRod......wahooooooo!!!!!!
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”