Tell Me No Lies--I Can't Even Say Ahmadinejad

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Tell Me No Lies--I Can't Even Say Ahmadinejad

Post by Lightning Rod » September 27th, 2007, 6:39 pm

http://img.timeinc.net/

Tell Me No Lies
for release 09-28-07
Washington DC
by Lightning Rod

T
he Poet's Eye has spent numerous hours this week examining the performances of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the US of A. In his whirlwind tour of the American media world, he was on Sixty Minutes, appeared at Columbia University and the United Nations and was interviewed by Charlie Rose and almost everybody else on TV but Ellen DeGeneres. I expected to see him on The View. Whoopie would probably have worn a veil for the occasion.

Ahmadinejad's visit pointed up several things about our country and our culture. The first thing it indicated was our hypocrisy. The fact that there were grumblings in the press and demonstrations in the street about the president of Iran having the right to speak before an audience of students at a major US university troubles me. Freedom of speech is the most fundamental American value. That's why it's in the very first amendment to our Constitution. Let the man make a fool of himself, as he amply did with his claims that Iran was a homo-free zone. But don't invite him to the land of the free and then protest that he shouldn't have the right to speak.

The second thing that The Poet's eye noticed was the fact that both our Western culture and religion and politics and the culture and politics and religion of the Middle East are incomprehensibly intertwined.

For the most part Ahmadinejad sounded like a statesman, no he sounded like an uber-statesman evangelist complete with gravitas and humor--a Gandhi or a Mandela. I was very impressed with him. He seemed to have a good grasp of history and spiritualism. He had a pacific and welcoming style. He had me in the palm of his hand actually.... UNTIL he delivered the Iranian version of 'don't ask, don't tell.' I thought that DeNile ran through Egypt. Who knew it was in Iran? I guess if you can deny that the holocaust existed you can deny that there are gay bars in Tehran.

The third thing that Ahmadinejad's visit illustrated was that all governments run on lies. It's just a question of who is the bigger and the better liar.

There is a rule in the world of con men. It says this: "If you are trying to tell the big lie, then you can't tell small lies." It ruins your credibility.

Maybe something was lost in the translation. Maybe Ahmadinejad was joking about Iran having no queers. He seemed otherwise intelligent. I could hardly believe that he was uttering such a banal lie in front of a mixed audience.

I haven't been to Iran. I don't know what the conditions on the ground there are. I don't know if the people there consider themselves to be free or in bondage to an Islamic tyranny. I don't know if they are enriching uranium for peaceful or hostile purposes. But I do know that there are fairies in Iran. There are fairies everywhere. Don't try to tell me small lies.

I know what the American media and government tell me. Now I know what the president of Iran tells me. And they don't match up. These are all small lies, yet somehow I feel like I'm being told the big lie.

This is how it always starts, especially in media-politics. First the politician is caught in the small lie and then the big lies become apparent. It happened with Nixon, it happened with Bush. If you tell lies, even small ones, you have no authority even when you speak the truth. It's been described as crying wolf.

Oh ... I got one thing to tell ya', then you make up your mind.
It's what I been tryin' to tell ya', for a long, long time.
We need each other, to live in peace and harmony.
Don't need a whole lot to give, 'cause love is for free.

I ... I got one thing to tell ya',
I ... oooo, I ain't tryin' to sell ya',
No lies.--Grand Funk Railroad
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 27th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Good 'un, L'Rod!

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 18th, 2007, 2:49 am

"Ah'm a dinner jacket"...

mnemonic device that seems to get it done for me... (remember to rearrange consonants to fit).

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » November 9th, 2007, 1:22 pm

my bachelor officer apartment mate for awhile whilst in air farce pilot training was an iranian
Musseholi din Mohammedi
this was back in the summer of 1969
one morning i got up early and saw something strange out of the corner of my eye
i looked
in his room thru the open door he was praying on his mat
my first reaction was having the hairs stand up on my neck

later, he showed me the picture of the shah that he had on his wall
he said that he had been the honor graduate of his cadet class, that he had gotten to shake the hand of the shah.
he and his iranian pilot trainees would gather at the apartment, spread a blanket on the floor and sit together and eat. they would make big salads and cook meals together and talk. this was another foreign incident to me.
we called him "din" his classmate from iran was "nasser"
they went home to iran.
they probably stayed there after the popular revolution deposed the shah and they got their parliamentary theocracy. i would like to know.
he is not my enemy in any case, i refuse to believe this.
how we define our enemies is absurd, and despite the fact that ahmanijabhad is homo-phobic, he has better manners than the wildeyed ivory towered columbian prez, who is probably homophobic as well.
yelling at the man, or threatening him won't get anywhere.
why not welcome him to a beerfest in bavaria, and take him to auschwitz?

oyvey
and yeah i know two iranians living here in tampa bay.
one calls himself Mo (short for Mohammed)
he was a draft dodger from the Iran-Iraq War in the 1980's
he and some buddies walked out of the country to the north thru northern iran into russia, then as a refugee in sweden, wow, and on to america. he became a physical therapy assistant, married, now a u.s. citizen. he is an outstanding person, intellectual, multilingual, once i saw him clean up an old gent who he was walking, who had pooped on the floor and on himself. not a quibble, he did it all himself.
he hates bush. i told him that if anything untoward happens to him from the government, let me know. i got a network and it ain't verizon.

the other iranian is named sharam, his professional name. he was in the iranian army during that same war. he told me that his 14 year old cousin was drafted, given a key (to heaven) as a necklace, and was killed in combat. this dude moved to Toronto, where he studied hap-kido and yoga for ten years, now he has a dojo in old St Pete, where he teaches kids and adults, as well as teaches yoga to senior citizens at the st anthony's rehab center.

America needs to change it's attitude from trying to be the world's power to learning how to be a power in the world.

dennis "the menace" kuchinich
when he says "hello mr wilson" he is talking about woodrow
and what we got to go beyond
the wilson doctrine
it's bushit

i decided finally i am giving my money and vote to the kid.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”