Community Organizer

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Community Organizer

Post by Lightning Rod » January 19th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Community Organizer
for release 01-20-09
Dallas, Texas
by Lightning Rod

I remember just a few short months ago when people like Rudy Guilliani and Sarah Palin and the usual right-wing pundits were making fun of Barak Obama for having 'community organizer' on his resume as if this wasn't an adequate credential for leadership.

I never understood that slander. It always seemed more like a compliment to me. What better qualification could you have to hold public office in a democracy than actually mingling with the demos? Understanding people and how they work together is Community Organization 101.

What is a president but a community organizer? What can a president do by himself? Practically nothing but issue pardons and his most important duty, to set the moral and spiritual and operational tone of our nation. He's a cheerleader. His job is to inspire the country and organize the people in ways that make life better for everyone. It's the very definition of a community organizer.

The Poet's Eye only needs to look at the massive crowd in Washington D.C., people who were organized by Obama and are braving the harsh conditions in order to support him and also to ask what more they can do, in order to appreciate the value of a community organizer.

Alexander conquered the Western World and a good deal of the Orient when he was in his early twenties. Experience wasn't a large factor. The large factor was his ability or organize men. He was a community organizer. His community was the Macedonian army.

Obama, with his persuasive powers, his rational, calm intellect and the internet has organized a formidable army. Turn your television on and you will see them assembled on our national mall and in private and public assemblies all over the country and online. Not bad for a lowly community organizer.

The Poet's Eye has been crying for happy. My only reservation is that I fear that there will develop a cult of personality. Something tells me that Obama will not encourage this, but unanimity always troubles me. Community organization cuts both ways. A community that supports can also oppose.

The human being is in the most literal sense a political animal, not merely a gregarious animal, but an animal which can individuate itself only in the midst of society.---Karl Marx
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mudshark

Post by mudshark » January 20th, 2009, 5:30 pm

greatnes form the roots. not like it used to be.
happy happy Happy and deeply moved today!
you re good guys. we re all good guys! he said it man. and i cant walk the tuff road for u, you gotta walk it yourself. but i will walk it with you.

blees you all (belivers)
yo hoo to ya ( all the others)

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”