A Public Option v. The Mafia

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 7th, 2009, 8:43 am

for release 09-07-09
Dallas, Texas
by Lightning Rod

In the debate concerning the inclusion of a Public Option (government run insurance plan) in the healthcare reform bill, the caparison is often made with our postal system. The insurance industry and their surrogates and dupes argue that private insurers can't compete against a government subsidized insurance plan. Those in favor of the Public Option counter by pointing to the fact that Fed Ex and UPS successfully compete with the U.S. Postal Service and don't go out of business.

A better analogy would be the state run gambling lotteries. Before the public option for this type of gambling was instituted, this racket was run by the mob. They called it the numbers game. The only difference between the numbers game and public lotteries is that the profits now go to the state rather than to greedy and corrupt mob bosses.

Make no mistake that healthcare insurance is a racket. The various crime families (insurance companies) divide the turf, set the rules of the game which can be changed on a whim, and are generally more interested in maximizing profits rather than delivering services.

To solve this problem, states co-opted the numbers racket and called it Lotto. It was a Public Option. They figured that the profits from the game would be better spent on education or roads than going into the pockets of racketeers who used it to finance their own lavish individual lifestyles.

I'm sure that the mobsters didn't enjoy losing a good revenue stream this way and neither will the insurance racketeers. That's why they are spending millions per day lobbying against healthcare reform. The Poet's Eye burns when it sees the caustic lies they are trying to sell us. They warn us against 'death panels' when they have made themselves the death panels. They warn of care rationing when they ration care. They say a Public Option will pull the plug on grandma while they are issuing propaganda designed to scare her to death first.

What astonishes me is that people who one would assume are intelligent enough for self-interest would want our healthcare system to be run by mobsters rather than by the people and their representatives.

I'm a little pimp with my hair gassed back
Pair a khaki pants with my shoe shined black
Twenny dollah bill ( I can set you straight )
Meet me onna corner boy'n don't be late
Man in a suit with a bow-tie neck
Wanna buy a grunt with a third party check---Zappa
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » September 7th, 2009, 11:13 am

Brilliant.
"and that is all I got to say about that" FG
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 7th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Straight shooter...

Well done, eLRod... good seeing you around.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”