Let Us Prey

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Let Us Prey

Post by Lightning Rod » August 28th, 2005, 11:39 am

Evolution?

Let Us Prey
for release 08-29-05
Washington D.C.

by Lightning Rod

Willful ignorance has forever amazed me.

I mean the kind of ignorance that goes directly to the root of the word – to ignore; the kind of ignorance where you blinker yourself with beliefs and refuse to accept new or pertinent or even obvious evidence from the real world if it collides with these beliefs.

When I came across this LA Times article describing how the creationists are adopting the dinosaur as their new mascot, I had to figure that it was only natural in the topsy-turvy world we inhabit for delightful absurdities like this to proliferate.

It seems that there are two wings to the Creationist Party. The radical wing believes, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that the heavens and the earth were created in six days 6,000 years ago just like it says in the Genesis myth and that there were dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden and on Noah's Arc. That might not have been a completely ignorant thing to think if you lived in oh, say 1750. But today we have better information. The Theory of Evolution is not a fantasy. There is forensic evidence to support it. With our own eyes, we can count the layers of sediment. We can see the fossils.
"Dinosaurs lived in the Garden of Eden, and Noah's Ark? Give me a break," said Kevin Padian, curator at the University of California Museum of Paleontology in Berkeley and president of National Center for Science Education, an Oakland group that supports teaching evolution. "For them, 'The Flintstones' is a documentary." – LA Times
The more moderate wing of the Creationist Party is called Intelligent Design. Those who believe in intelligent design actually believe the same thing that any other creationist believes but they make a feeble attempt to couch it in scientific terms. The president, and several other politicians who are pandering to the weaker minded among us, are even suggesting that we teach this nonsense in our public schools as an 'alternative view' to the science of evolution. That would be like teaching the flat-earth theory as a companion course to geography. Let's just let the kids make up their own minds. Let's give them the choice between astronomy and astrology, mathematics and numerology, chemistry and alchemy.

"Intelligent Design Theory." That has sort of a scientific ring to it, no? And it has the word 'intelligent' in there, so that lends credibility to it. But don't be fooled into thinking that it has anything to do with science. It's religion masquerading as science. And it's not a very good impersonation at that. There really is no theory to IDT. There are only assumptions.

What amazes me is that evolution vs. creationism continues to be a controversy. I thought they settled it at the Scopes Trial. The bible is not a science book. It's a book of legend, history and parables. How hard is that to understand?

In some respects science and religion are nearly interchangeable. They both require that you take the word of others who have made the actual observations. I have never done a carbon14-dating test. I wouldn't know how to count the isotopes. I choose to believe 'on faith' that the information obtained from these tests is reliable. I take scientist's word for it that this particular piece of charcoal is from a human campfire that burned thirty thousand years ago. One of the reasons that I choose to believe that the tests are reliable is that they can be reproduced by other researchers. Independent verification is one of the tenets of traditional science.

Darwin's theory of natural selection was not a pre-conceived assumption. It was a deduction based on meticulous observations. Intelligent Design is one of the strange new 'scientific theories' that seem to be based on revelation rather than observation. It's the type of 'science' where the conclusion comes before the experiment.

The Poet's Eye sees no problem if you want to believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus or that the earth was created in six days or that pigs can fly. Just don't try to teach it to my children in school as science. And while we are on the subject, Mr. President, where was the intelligent design when you invaded Iraq and expected them not to fight back, for generations if necessary? Amen.

Very superstitious, wash your face and hands,
Rid me of the problem, do all that you can,
Keep me in a daydream, keep me goin’ strong,
You don’t wanna save me, sad is my song.

When you believe in things that you don’t understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain’t the way, yeh, yeh.
--Stevie Wonder
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 28th, 2005, 3:52 pm

[Give the Conservatives an inch and they want all seven.]

I believe that everything in the Bible is true.

Really? Where did the Bible come from?

It came from God... it is his word.

But when did the Bible come into existence?

The Word of God is eternal.

So the Bible has always been here..?

The Word of God is eternal.

But wasn't the Bible written... you know, handwritten by men?

They were inspired by God to write His words

What do you know of these inspired writers?

I never question God's doings.

So you believe that God wrote the Bible using these different writers kinda like quills that put down his words..?

God works in mysterious ways...

Sounds like your saying God likes to keep you confused...

God works in mysterious ways...

Next time you talk to Him ask Him why He's keeping you in the dark....
<center> ______</center>

Good Eye, mi amigo... you're an astute brute!! :wink:

Jenni Mansfield Peal

Re: Let Us Prey

Post by Jenni Mansfield Peal » August 29th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Lightning Rod wrote:What amazes me is that evolution vs. creationism continues to be a controversy. I thought they settled it at the Scopes Trial.
This amazes me too, lrod. What's up with this? I also, at one time, thought that a woman's right to choose whether or not to give birth to a child was a given. Wow.

I know that linear time is the creation of minds in need of a way to organize events. So linear development is a delusion. As a teacher, I have direct experience with little folks on steep curves in the developmental labs we call schools. Development is recursive, so it's not surprising, I guess, that we experience the same dumb controversies over and over. But I had hoped that we were, actually, developing.

JMP
Photos by Tom Peal

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 29th, 2005, 8:43 pm

God I hate abortion, but i am so grateful she had that choice. She was not a woman to do such a thing on a whim. I had left her with no choice. Well it was a Sophie's choice.

"He who can not say there is no redemption is not fit to live."Nietzsche paraphrase from memory.
I will carry that one to my grave. I have not seen her in twenty years. From mutual friends i hear she is well and happy.

This abortion issue is not about life and death. I think it is about power.
imho
If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people.
VW

Linear time? Sounds like Vonnegut.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 29th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Clay just say Hi Jack sorry about that.

RE: The LA Times article on the Cabazon Truck Stop
Now he is the star of a renovated attraction that disputes the fact that dinosaurs died off millions of years before humans first walked the planet.
Cabazon was one of my favorite truck stops. Hide out there waiting for the Banning truck scales to close. Then haul ass into LA with forty tons and a little more.

Bad science. There are dinosaur tracks out west of
Of san antone. My niece telling me there are
Human footprints side by side with dinosaur prints
Turns out they are not human if you look at them
You can see they are wrong. They are the tracks of dinosaur too, the heels too narrow, and other things are wrong too. She was such a smart kid when she was young. But I think she is coming
Out of it.

Evolution is a theory but creationism is a religion. I like that bit in the bible where god is pissed at the Jews again. Says if he wanted to he could rise up a new people out of the rocks. Dam why not a common ancestor then? Why not monkeys?

Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Douglas Adams

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”