The Insurgency

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

The Insurgency

Post by Lightning Rod » September 19th, 2005, 4:26 pm

The Insurgency
for release 09-20-05
Washington D.C.

Have you ever asked yourself what you would do if there were thousands of Iraqi troops garrisoned in our country? Suppose they managed to seize Washington D.C. and topple the government because the National Guard was up to its ears in sewage in New Orleans, and what if the Iraqis erected a povisional (read puppet) government and set about to train a gurkha police force of turncoat Americans to pacify and subdue the rest of the population while Iraqi companies got the contracts for destroying our WMD's and exploiting our resources?

You would probably do the same thing I would do--join the Resistance. We would take to the hills and meadows and regroup to fight the invaders even if we had to harass them to death with small arms fire and improvised explosives.

That's exactly what many Iraqis have done, joined the Resistance, which our government still lovingly refers to as The Insurgency. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this. If your country is invaded and your land and your culture and your resources are usurped, you fight to regain what you feel is yours.

Recent history is replete with examples of this. During WWII, when the Nazis were occupying much of Europe, there were resistance organizations in every occupied country. People don't like to have their lands occupied by foreign armies. Call it human nature. The struggle in Northern Ireland, Vietnam, the Palestinian situation all come to mind. You could even classify Tiawan as a State of Resistance. Even the Taliban began as a resistance movement against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. We called them Freedom Fighters then. People will fight, and fight for generations if necessary, to regain what they view as their birthright.

In our own country, The Sons of Liberty was a resistance group. They thought of themselves as patriots fighting for the land they were born upon but I'm sure that the British called them insurgents. And the Underground Railroad were resistance fighters but I'm sure that the slave staters saw them as foreign terrorists or mad, religion-crazed abolitionists bent on destroying the Southern Way of Life because, "they hate our mint juleps."

America begins to look more like the British Empire than The Land of the Free and Brave. In the seventeen hundreds the sun never set on the British Empire. And that was their problem. They were stretched too thin. You know, like you get when you are trying to fight three wars and also battle a natural disaster? So, they contracted the management of India to a private company, The British East India Company. For the next century and a half or so, this company was the virtual government of India. It took that long for the native 'insurgency' to prevail and for India to claim its independence.

Imperial Bushco is going in the same direction as the British Empire. Halliburton and Bechtel and Lockheed are the new British East India Company. The colonization of Iraq is being run much like the British colonization of India. First you invade with overwhelming military technology, then you train a local gestapo commanded by company officers to maintain order and keep the population at bay while you rape the local resources. Classic Imperial Colonialism.

The Poet's Eye sees that the sun has set on the British Empire like it will on every empire. Imperial megalomania will always consume itself. The boys at BushCo think that the pump will never go dry. One of the definitions of hubris is the presumption that you can talk to God.

Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

----Rudyard Kipling
Last edited by Lightning Rod on September 19th, 2005, 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 19th, 2005, 5:23 pm

beware, elRod.... if this word "insurgent" no longer works, Bushco will devise another one to suit their purpose - Neo-Con-fusion never rests!!! yeow!

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » September 19th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Gee-LR:

Can't you figure out anything?

Those towel-heads aren't fighting us because they're FOR anything!

I thought by now you'd have found out THEY HATE OUR FREEDOM!! (?)

( Maybe we can shout down the fellow just above out of these parentheses?

I doubt it . . .

Fine essay, LR, and a good reminder to the Arnold and GeorgeHeads . . .)

-- Your fellow patriot, Z
Last edited by Zlatko Waterman on September 19th, 2005, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 19th, 2005, 6:08 pm

I love the new banner. :)

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 19th, 2005, 6:50 pm

I see much truth in your words, L-rod, like usual.

But questions persist for me. How much of the insurgency is undertaken by common Iraqis, by 'grass-roots patriots' in defense of country and culture? Are there other, more nefarious, factors at work? How many foreign fighters and former Baathists have joined the fight, and what are their intentions? Or does it matter?

Considering the horrific legacy of Saddam's regime, is it fair to assume that our occupation of Iraq, at least early on, was unwanted by a substantial majority of the citizenry? Perhaps. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure.

The situation, as it developed, may be a bit more complex than you describe it, but I do agree with your 'bigger-picture' assessment of the situation, particularly now. The U.S. has, by now, probably 'worn out its welcome', if there was ever any component of 'welcome' to begin with.

Though I haven't lately researched the insurgency's makeup, I imagine it now probably contains many more genuine patriotic 'freedom fighters', as you describe. The Iraqis have now suffered two-and-a-half years of US occupation. I can't imagine that this extended violent and bumbling occupation, along with those 14 new US military bases (under construction) is going over too well with the Iraqi population as a whole.

ps.... check your spelling of 'Taiwan'...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 19th, 2005, 7:28 pm

There is one serious omission in your theory. Gandhi. He freed his country with out violence. The only violence was from the British.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » September 19th, 2005, 11:20 pm

p.s.:

viz: mnaz ( I like the sound of that . . .)

I checked my mis-typing of "know" for "now" . . .

glug!

--Z

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 20th, 2005, 11:10 am

Iraq mirrors in some way what happen during the Spanish Civil War. When varies people from Europe and America went over to fight against Franco. This time around we the U.S. are Franco and the insurgency is fighting against us.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”