You talkin' to Me?

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

You talkin' to Me?

Post by Lightning Rod » September 27th, 2005, 3:20 pm

<center>Image</center>

"You talkin' to ME?"

for release 09-28-05
Washington D.C.

Saturday, we were watching the news in hopes of seeing what the peace demonstrations were doing. The mainstream media did its usual muted coverage of such events, preferring to focus on scandals and disasters.

As we were watching the news, the phone rang. It was some lady who said she was from an Adult Detention Center in (location undisclosed for family security purposes). She told us that doreen's son was in custody after being arrested at the peace demonstration for some obscure charge like 'obstructing pedestrian traffic.' In other words he was standing in the street with a bunch of other demonstrators and when the cops demanded that he move, he uttered the forbidden question, "Why?"

In the mean time the demonstrations in Washington were the largest since the Vietnam war. Cindy Sheehan and thousands of others are asking the same forbidden question, "Why?" She was still demanding to ask that question on Monday when they arrested her for demonstrating without a permit.

The president and his staff hastily evacuated Washington D.C. in anticipation of Hurricane Cindy. They went to higher ground in Colorado so they wouldn't have to confront the category 3 demonstration that drew over 100,000 people of all makes and models.

It was reported that President Bush aboard Air Force One, was standing in front of the bathroom mirror during the nationwide demonstrations like Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver rehearsing different ways to say, "We must stay the course." and "We are there for a just cause," (or was that 'just because?') and "You talkin' to ME?"

Before we could wire the money to bail out doreen's son, he called on the phone to say that his comrades had secured his release. His arrest, like Cindy Sheehan's, was symbolic. But I'm proud of them both. They put their bodies on the line for the causes they believed in. They were not, as Karl Rove so coarsely categorized them--clowns. And when they appear in court to answer these trumped-up charges, they should both report waving a copy of The Constitution. You know, The Constitution of the United States of America that has little technical clauses like THE RIGHT TO PEACEFULLY ASSEMBLE and FREEDOM OF SPEECH. The Constitution should override local permit 'violations.'

The Bush administration has been characterized by its own actions as being willfully oblivious. These people systematically deny cold hard evidence. It's much more than the WMD hoax or the tenuous connection between Saddam Hussein and the 9/11 attacks. The oblivion that I'm talking about is even more insidious. It includes the refusal to acknowledge the obvious fact of global warming, a worsening energy situation, the existence of a persistent underclass in our country that suffers unduly in times of trial like Katerina, the fact that our borders are as leaky as a colander, and now they are trying to deny the very existence of an anti-war movement in this country. Willful oblivion.

The Poet's Eye is peeking over Bush's shoulder into the bathroom mirror aboard Air Force One. Yes, Mr. President, we're talkin' to YOU. And what are we asking? "Why?"

"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? Huh? Ok.
--Robert DeNiro (Travis, in Taxi Driver)
Last edited by Lightning Rod on September 27th, 2005, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

K&D

Post by K&D » September 27th, 2005, 3:56 pm

well i don't think getting arrested seems to make much of a difference anymore, protesters are barely being cfonfronted by the government...and we can't get a point across if the governement and the media doesn't aknowledge us
Blah!

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » September 28th, 2005, 10:24 am

First of all, I hadn't, duh,L Rod, made the connection between Dumbya exiting D.C, for Colorado whilst the demo was on, but now I see it, just a coincidunce, right.?

K&D
While it is true that mainstream media continues to branwash, stall, and otherwise ignore the anti-war movement, there has been enough of a breakthru to make it well known that there is an opposition alive and well. These events also serve to solidify, enhance, and perpetuate the opposition. Preaching to the choir is important, because it sustains and also lifts us up. I know that my personal impact, whether it is handing out circulars to high school kids, or getting arrested in a protest, is incomparable with the stature of Karen Hughes, but hey, I am a worker bee, a worker of the world, dig. History is with us. And I believe that my modest contributions make a difference, in concert with Doreen's son.

Almost got arrested in a demo in March, 1972, in front of Nixon's New Hampshire primary campaign headquarters in Manchester. Two cops grabbed me from behind, were dragging me towards a paddy wagon. My crime was taking super-eight film of the demo. Two of my VVAW friends clubbed the cops with plastic machine guns and I broke away and ran about thirty feet, turned around and took their pictures. Later I went to the station and got out a kid an Airman using my officer's ID. The cops said, "I bet he's one of them." It was one of those moments where silence and smiles lifted us up. We all went home and partied. It is empowering whenever you have a chance to speak truth to power. Also frustrating, even depressing. Which is another reason for preaching to the choir. Reinforcing alternative perspective, such as Cindy's son as a real person who died for this atrocious agenda, is what we need, to keep us faithful. I been a protester since I got back from Vietnam, really hit it good in 1972, still trucking!

We get our points across to each other first and foremost. We have to believe that will translate into political power and changes, but inthe meantime, it is gawd awful blessed life blood for us to continue offering different perspectives to the dasturdly awful carpetbaggers we got in power right now.

LRod, I gotta say that the taxi driver was really a good guy
Unfortunately, the presidunce's aloofness does not give him credibility to share that catch-phrase with anyone. Better you say that to him, or somebody will. I think it is maybe something we could use as a protest slogan.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 28th, 2005, 11:33 am

Sooner or later the nation going to have to pay attention to it. Otherwise it will be a replay of what happen back in the 60's. I say it's time to levitate the Pentagon again!!!! That should get their attention soon enough!!!! Speaking doreen's son I wonder if Lucy got arrested over the weekend as well????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » September 28th, 2005, 11:56 am

Is Lucy in Chicago?

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 28th, 2005, 12:11 pm

I haven't heard from Lucy, jimbo

She was supposed to be in the Washington DC demo on Saturday
the majority of the arrests were made on Monday. I'm guessing that she was back in school by then.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 28th, 2005, 1:24 pm

It'll be good to hear from her on what she all did there.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » September 28th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Yeah a new idea for a protest sign, "I'm talkin to you!"

LROD is out on patrol. :!:

It is good for me, my sanity and resilience, man. It is good to know we are staying tuned in to the rallying cry, "viva!"

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » September 29th, 2005, 10:12 am

Jim:

One of my very favorite anti-Bush signs, used in a freeway banner protest, was:

WE'RE ALL WEARING THE BLUE DRESS NOW

--Z

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » September 29th, 2005, 12:30 pm

I ain't sucking off Uncle Sam.

Yahoo now complicent in jailing of Chinese cyber-dissidents.
When providing information and communications services in countries where political dissent is illegal, companies like Yahoo! need to ask themselves tough questions about whether they can realistically operate "within the laws, regulations and customs of the country in which they are based" while still upholding their ethical values. Assuming they have some. Even if they don't, they must recognize that helping put dissidents in jail is pretty bad for the corporate image. Is the damage to Yahoo!'s reputation, credibility, and consumer trust really worth whatever money they're making on that Chinese-language e-mail service?

I don't think so.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”