No One Here Gets Out Alive

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 30th, 2005, 10:18 am

"No one here gets out alive."

for release 09-30-05
Washington D.C.

Having the realization that your time on this earth is limited makes an incredible difference in the way you live your life. There are numerous ways that this realization can occur. You can be faced with a serious or life threatening health problem, narrowly escape death by accident or injury, watch your friends or contemporaries die in arbitrary ways like OD's or car wrecks. Or......you can reach the age of fifty.

I have noticed that among my generation of baby boom-booms, this is when it finally sinks in. You are not immortal like you thought you were when you were twenty. You realize that this body and this life are temporary affairs. In other words, it's time to get down to business.

I had a version of this realization early in life. When I was seventeen I had a job dipping ice-cream at a local emporium. After a year of working there I started having dreams about working my life away on somebody else's time clock. LeRoi Jones and Allen Ginsburg and Jim Morrison were in my head too. One day I decided. I was never going to punch another man's clock again. I had too much to accomplish and enjoy in this life to be, as Morrison so bluntly put it, "Sellin' my hours for a handful of dimes."

For the most part, I have managed to keep that promise to myself and have survived on my cunning or my ingenuity or my skill and worked for myself.

But at about the age of of fifty, most people have a moment with themselves in the shower or in front of the mirror and realize that the vehicle is deteriorating. It might have been a nimble little machine some years ago but now it is like a Camry with about 200,000 miles on the odometer. The tires are a little bare and the transmission is making this sound.

So the thought occurs to you, not the same thought that you had years ago that I can do anything, live forever and the whole world is waiting for me, but the thought that your time is finite and that you had best do what you really want to do, and do it now.

I have watched this, for want of a better term, Midlife Crisis, infuse people with a new dedication and resolve. You see people adopt a new commitment to their passions. Those that haven't touched a brush in years go to the art supply store and max their credit cards buying paints and easels and canvases and you see musicians re-stringing the guitars that had gathered dust for years and poets tuning their language and meter and executives giving up jogging and buying Harley-Davidsons.

I had this realization when I was about fifty. I am, after all, a member of my generation. I suddenly understood, more completely than when I was seventeen, that there was no time left for anything but the things that brought joy to my life. All people or occupations or activities that didn't bring me joy were pointless and a waste of my precious time.

Then the question inevitably arose. I had to ask myself, "What are the things that bring you joy, Lightning Rod?"

After an intense ten minutes of reflection I answered my own question. The things that bring me joy in life are pretty simple: Making love, making music and writing. (but to paraphrase Dotty Parker, I actually hate writing, but I love having written.) I also like to drink and smoke and socialize and in general do whatever I goddam well please.

The Poet's Eye sees that mortality is a blessing and also that time is short. So, whatever it is that puts joy in your life, do it now.

"Your ballroom days are over, baby
Night is drawing near
Shadows of the evening crawl across the years
Ya walk across the floor with a flower in your hand
Trying to tell me no one understands
Trade in your hours for a handful dimes
Gonna’ make it, baby, in our prime"
----Jim Morrison (dead at 27)
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 30th, 2005, 10:58 am

1 and 5

5 and 1

No one get's out alive

- Jim Morrison

Live life to the fullest!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 30th, 2005, 11:01 am

age, age...
this passage of time
one moment without reason
yet another filled with rhyme

so quickly it goes this
life we work to create
only to pass thru
death's well-oiled gate

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 30th, 2005, 11:11 am

Through Death's revolving door
Comes more and more
Can it never be happy with the score
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

K&D

Post by K&D » September 30th, 2005, 1:35 pm

i think i've always been like that, course its probably cause my mother scares the fuck out of me about it. i'm always worried i won't be able to do what i want to do, that some how my art will be corrupted. i keep going back in fourth from having this strong earge to make a difference, and i'm not talking about no small difference, i want to make a fucking huge difference (obviously one is needed) and then i go back to thinking i'll "drop out" and just care about my own intrest because i know i can do that...the only thing that seems to satisfy both for me is political/social commentary in films that i want to make.

i worry i won't be able to do it, i keep thinking i should give up, but i never do, at least not for any extended amount of time.

also, the idea that you can't please everyone, you got to get over that at some pooint too, stop worrying so god damn much about other peoples problems and worry about your own, course i tend to think i have less problems then everyone around me seems to have...thats probably a good thing. not worrying about shit that doesn't matter and all. part of me can't wait till i get old, i think theres more freedom with age, slightly less confusion as well.
Blah!

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 14th, 2005, 9:31 am

I'm just a visitor here
an thats all right
I'm just a visitor here
an thats all right
th prospect of dying makin life so strange
jus workin to be workin
out on th range
destiny is clear
i'm jus a visitior here
on my "fish outa water" compilation from wmnf radio
gotta get that tune down
little birdy little birdy
sing to me yer song
such a short time t be here
such a long time t be gone.....
it's no diff than before man
we're just old fuckers now!

but i agree
i spend time with wifey on sunday morn
the zen group sits at 8 am
i face my wall every moment
yet not having been clever enough
am working for the {wo)man
an digging it
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 14th, 2005, 11:45 pm

The Poet's Eye sees that mortality is a blessing and also that time is short. So, whatever it is that puts joy in your life, do it now.
There it is Clay,
All people or occupations or activities that didn't bring me joy were pointless and a waste of my precious time.
Never had any kids clay, but I think it would be a parents greatest joy to see their children happy. Happy to be born. But maybe they try to hard sometimes, Siddhartha? If I could see my sisters son find that I would die with no regrets. Other than that I love my motorcycle.

This is about a guy looking at forty, nothing to do with me, but I always liked the song.
Middle Age Crazy

Today he traded his '98 Oldsmobile
He got a heck of a deal on a new Porsche car
He isn't wearing his usual gray business suits
He's got jeans and high boots with an embroidered star

And that young thing beside him, you know she understands
He's just middle aged crazy
Trying to prove he still can
Yes, he's middle aged crazy
Trying to prove he still can.
so quickly it goes this
life we work to create
only to pass thru
death's well-oiled gate
Sic transit gloria mundi

I do a lot of junking, trashing around in thrift shops and good will. I see boxes full of lives marked by, plaques, awards, and certificates of achievement.
I wonder what happened to the people that earned them. Moved on I suppose, to a nursing home or a grave yard.

i face my wall every moment
Sometimes I do, but it takes practice, trying to stop trying and just do it. Motor cycle therapy, restoring body consciousness. Just a late bloomer, a december rose.

Aly all we got is you. Make those movies, we need to see them.
free rice

I used to be smart

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 15th, 2005, 9:20 am

not trying

i ain't as good as i once was
but as good once as i once was :?:
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”