A Little Help from My Friends

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » October 17th, 2005, 1:53 pm

"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."

for release 10-17-05
Washington D.C.

The Bush administration is destined to be listed as the most incompetent and salaciously corrupt government in our Republic's history. Yes, I know that Grant was no slouch when it came to incompetence and cronyism, and Harding is hard to beat in the corruption department, Lyndon Johnson was known to take care of his friends, but BushCo has taken these arts to new heights.

As if Rummy and Ashcroft weren't bad enough appointments, and 'good job' Brownie, who had no more idea about how to handle a disaster than Paris Hilton, and now we have Harriet 'you are the best governor ever' Miers being appointed to the Supreme Court.

But cronyism is biting this neo-con bunch of bandits in the ass. Rummy has obviously dropped the military ball in Iraq, but doesn't he have great stage presence? Brownie was a good old boy and they thought they could count on him to funnel FEMA funds to the pockets of their buddies at Halliburton, et al, with the result that Katrina disaster victims have gotten about six cents of relief for every six bucks sent from Washington. We see a cascade of sub-contractors working under the supervision and patronage of the oligarchs who don't even have to bid to obtain the main contract.

So things are piling up. The chickens are coming home to roost. The rooster is of course the ill-conceived and dishonestly portrayed invasion of Iraq. This is the fowl that BushCo hopes will get the avian flu and die. This is why Plamegate is so embarrassing to them. The whole scandal points up the fact that this administration is a bunch of gangstas who lied to the American people for their own gain.

Then we have the other chickens. The Republican leaders in both houses of Congress are under clouds of scandal and indictment. At least two White House insiders are facing indictment in the Plame investigation. Things aren't going according to the 'throwing roses at our feet' theory in our Iraq invasion. Afghanistan is a huge poppy field now. The president's approval ratings are in the thirties and it''s probably good that BushCo is not a publicly traded company. The stock would be down as far as Martha Stewart's was when they slapped the cuffs on her.

In the tradition of rats deserting a sinking ship, we see the Repugnican base breaking up over the matter of the Meirs appointment. Many of the traditionally conservative voices like George Will and Pat Buchanan and even Rush Limbaugh are giving the White House grief over the simple issue that .....hello.....is this woman really qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice? By the principle of Occam's Razor, the answer to that question has to be, "I DON'T THINK SO."

Let's look at her credentials. She is a born-again Christian. She was a crusader for the rights of the oppressed and down-trodden corporations and millionaires while she was a Dallas city councilperson. She was president of the Texas Bar Association, a monument to cronyism. She is a born-again Christian. She ran the numbers game for the Bush Gang in Texas, they prefer to call it the State Lottery. Since Bush has been Capo in Washington, Ms. Miers has been his consiglieri. She's a born-again Christian. She loves George Bush.

Ok, sure, she's not an experienced jurist, has never rendered a verdict or an opinion in a criminal or a civil case, she is not a legal scholar, but she is a born-again Christian and a woman and of course her most vital qualification is that George Bush 'knows her heart' (translation: 'will do whatever I tell her to do'.) Did I mention that she's a born-again Christian? How's that for a resume?

The Poet's Eye doesn't blink, or at least not as fast as George Bush's do when he's caught in the headlight of a question for which there is no pre-recorded answer on his concealed iPod. I see a house of cards about to fall. The oligarchy is starting to look like the Stan-and-Ollie-garchy.

"What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I’ll sing you a song,
And I’ll try not to sing out of key.
I get by with a little help from my friends,
I get high with a little help from my friends,
Going to try with a little help from my friends."
----Beatles
Last edited by Lightning Rod on October 17th, 2005, 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 17th, 2005, 4:09 pm

The Poets Eye
Attn: Clay B. January
Somewhere in Virginia, U.S.A.

Sterling, Mr. January!

In keeping with my principle of 3E, I rapidly tapped into #2, Education, to explain Occam's Razor (also Ocham's). Being a youthful (but rather spirited) 60 year old, I must confess to my ignorance in missing out upon ever consciously using an Occam's Razor, although through the use of one of my favorite free downloads, One Click Answers, I was able to understand and indeed somewhat grasp what you were referencing to within the text of this very fine installment of Poet's Eye (not to mention the innumerable times I have used Occam's Razor without recognizing the brand!).

The reading of this, once again, brought 3E (and myself) into full circle - I was entertained, educated and, (surely) enlightened. Given this, I thank you, Mr. January, for your insights mixed with a generous but yet gentle dose of humor that makes your Eye's, not crossed, but more focused for both yourself (I'm sure) and readers like myself.

Sincerely,

Cecil B. Lee
[Who more often than not, has had (and hopefully will continue to have), many close shaves with his now newly defined Occam's Razor.]

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » October 17th, 2005, 5:13 pm

yeah, cecil
I try to keep the three E's in mind. I do ok with Education and Entertainment. I fall down on the Enlightenment part sometimes... :lol:
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 17th, 2005, 6:38 pm

Simplicity is the better part of validity. (Did I say that?)

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”