Do You Believe?

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Do You Believe?

Post by Lightning Rod » November 6th, 2005, 3:35 pm

photo from arstechnica.com

Let Me Hear You Say, "I Believe."
for release 11-07-05
Washington D.C.

I'm inclined to classify science in the same category as religion. Science has it's orthodoxy and it's high priests, just the same as religion. And there are just as many crack-pot scientists as there are religious fanatics. For every discovery of penicillin we have ten perpetual motion machines or UFO rumors or inventions of cars that run on air or cults of such devices as the E Meter and the polygraph.

Both religion and science depend on an intermediary clergy to reveal the 'truth' to their constituents. At some point it always comes down to a matter of faith. We 'laymen' have to accept the word of the priests.

Have you ever done a carbon 14 dating test on a relic which has been found somewhere in the sediments that 'proves' that man was cooking giant sloth 25,000 years ago in Patagonia? No. You accept this fact from science because you have Faith in whatever instrumental or technical voodoo they are using. Have you ever sniffed a stem cell? Do you even know what one looks like? How about a neutrino? Ever seen one of those? I don't think so. But you believe in them because a high priest scientist with Dr. in front of his name has assured you that science is infallible. Just like the Pope.

We would like to imagine that science is based on empirical observations and reproducibility and peer review. But this is not always the case. Money talks as loudly in science as it does in religion. If a researcher is paid by a tobacco company to 'discover' that cigarettes are harmless, he is likely to come up with the desired results. They did it for decades. And even the results of real, rigorous science can be skewed for commercial or political purposes.

So I have as healthy a skepticism about science as I do about religion. "Science" told me that if I took LSD that my chromosomes would crack and I would try to fly out of windows. I have three bright and healthy children that prove otherwise. And the only time I ever tried to fly out a window was when I was seven and had a new Superman cape. Luckily it was a first floor window. So 'science', and especially popular science, is as fallible as religion. Every few days 'science' tells us of a new imaginary disease. But don't worry, the drug company who sponsored the 'study' has a remedy which is about to emerge from their laboratories. Science contains almost as much voodoo as religion.

I must say that I trust science a little more than I trust religion. But only slightly. Experiments are easier to replicate and verify than are revelations. I'm slightly more inclined to believe that there is global warming than I am to believe that an itinerant Hebrew who may or may not have lived 2000 years ago, rose from the dead and is thereby somehow responsible for the salvation of my eternal soul.

When Louis Pasteur proposed the germ theory, his peers thought he was nuts because the orthodoxy at the time was spontaneous generation. When Pasteur performed his experiment in public it shook the scientific world as much as Luther's 95 Thesesshook the religious world. So both the orthodoxy of science and religion are subject to change. But in general religion is slower than science in this regard.

The Poet's Eye sees that in the end all that matters is what you choose to believe and whatever you believe you can find some priest or expert or scientific study to support it. It's a matter of faith. If you choose to believe that Krishna is blue or that Buddha was born out of his mother's side or that Christ rose from the dead or that Mohammed rose into heaven on the back of his steed, or if you want to believe that the world is flat or that swamp gas causes malaria or that the earth is the center of the universe or The Big Bang Theory.....remember....it's all a matter of faith.

Yeah, do you believe in magic
Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free
Ohh, talking 'bout magic
--John Sebastian
Last edited by Lightning Rod on November 7th, 2005, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » November 6th, 2005, 6:50 pm

Belief and faith are what you make of religion.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 19th, 2009, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenni Mansfield Peal

Post by Jenni Mansfield Peal » November 9th, 2005, 12:02 am

Truly spoke...
And the most powerful words spoke are "I want."

"I want" is a much higher response than "I need" and the universe doesn't even register "I should..."
That's why "evil" so often seems stronger than "good." It's because the evildoer wants, the innocent need, and the overseers think in terms of "should."

Like, why did the Nazi's kill so many innocents? Because they deserved it or the universe wasn't on their side? No. It's because they wanted to. The innocents and the overseers, on the other hand, were mostly shrouded in confusion, shock, and propriety ("how can they do this?" "this can't be happenning..")

JMP
Photos by Tom Peal

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » November 9th, 2005, 10:41 am

("how can they do this?" "this can't be happenning..")
The heading for Ellen Goodman Column today in the Sanato News Express.

"Case from Alito's past shows how far back things can go."

Hannah Arendt y Martin Heidegger, such a strange marriage. The Nazi appologist and the Jewess author of Eichman In Jeruselam. I digress, my point is the banality of evil. I would give anything to stop that Alito appointment. Going to be a long dark twenty years or so with those lifetime appointments. All I can think of is stall, stall, stall. Or a constituitional amendment to increase the number of justices to fifteen as FDR wanted.

Clay

You call it faith, I call it statistics. .

A twenty percent chance of rain today. How can it rain unless there is a hundred percent chance of rain? I am not sure I got it Clay. I got side tracked on subject of evil. For me evil right now would look pretty much like a scientific religion. And that is the way the Kansas School Board would like it.

But will it rain cats and dogs?
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”