The Gambler

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

The Gambler

Post by Lightning Rod » December 11th, 2005, 1:59 pm

The Gambler
for release 12-11-05
Washington D.C.

I've become pretty much immune to pop-up ads on the internet. I close them without looking at them unless a particularly sexy model catches my eye. But recently one without a sexy model caught my attention. It was one of those ads posing as a survey or a poll. It had a photo of George Bush. He was asking the question, "Do you think that unnecessary litigation is running up your health care costs?" This was a typically loaded poll question.

What is behind excessive litigation in our civil system? The deep pockets of insurance companies.

Imagine going under the knife of a plastic surgeon and coming out looking like the Elephant Man. Or suppose an X-ray reveals that the doctor who did your gall bladder operation sewed a #3 hemostat inside you? These would not be small or frivolous matters. You'd bring a malpractice suit against the sawbones who damaged you. And rightly so. First you'd hire a personal injury attorney – typically ubiquitous as squirrels. He would file suit on your behalf.

But when he files suit against your doctor, he's really not suing your doctor, he's suing an insurance company. This is why he took the job on a contingency basis. He knows that if he makes a case, the insurance company has deep pockets and it could be profitable. This profit motive is part of what drives this unfortunate machine.

Financial industries, especially the insurance industry, have more political suck than most of us can imagine. When any industry can use its influence to establish laws which force consumers to buy their product, it scares me.

Imagine if the dairy industry had enough political clout to create legislation which mandated that every time you went to the grocery store, you would have to buy a gallon of milk. Or what if Steve Jobs bought off enough legislators to pass a law that forced every man, woman and child in the country to purchase an iPod?

This is exactly what the insurance industry has done with respect to auto insurance, since the federal government essentially forces people to buy auto insurance.

The new Medicare Prescription Drug Plan is another example of how insurance companies are using their influence on legislation to secure immense profit. This is the true Axis of Evil – insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies and government. See if you can understand the wording of the federal government's overview of the how the Medicare Prescription Drug Discount Card will work. They write it so it's difficult to understand on purpose. They don't want you to realize that the insurance companies will be making out like bandits.

In theory, insurance could be a good idea. Sharing risk and liability seems to be socially responsible, but in the end, it's gambling, and the house always wins. Life insurance has always struck me as an absurdity. Buying it is simply gambling on your own death. If you lose, you lose, and if you win, you lose. The insurance companies have the house advantage. Bookies never lose and, make no mistake, insurance is making book. It's simple mathematics. The odds even out and no matter who wins, the bookie gets his vig.

The Poet's Eye never has seen the sense in insurance. I'll take my chances.

You got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you’re sittin’ at the table.
There’ll be time enough for countin’ when the dealin’s done.

Now ev’ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin’
Is knowin’ what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
’cause ev’ry hand’s a winner and ev’ry hand’s a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep.
– Kenny Rogers
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 12th, 2005, 1:15 am

A lot of people in New Orleans thought they had flood insurance.

Insurance?
I don't know if there is any sense in it, just statistics. They are going to cash in on the human genome project.

kenny rogers sang it but don schlitz wrote it. He beat around Nashville for years singing his songs and then one night:
with a million dollar spirit
and an old flattop guitar
they drive to town with all they own
in a hundred dollar car

ah, but one night in some empty room
where no curtains ever hung
like a miracle some golden words
rolled off of someone's tongue
Lacy J Dalton

Also the guys who wrote Poncho and Lefty, I heard them singing that song ten years before it was ever recorded.
free rice

I used to be smart

firsty

Post by firsty » December 12th, 2005, 3:17 pm

1. get firefox, say goodbye to popups. fuck aol.

2. consider this: during my time of living in rhode island, i noticed that rhode island did not require drivers to have car insurance. i thought this was odd, particularly considering how many insurance companies are located in providence, ri (a ton). wouldnt it make sense for local insurance lobbyists to get the state govt to require insurance? then i saw the light: the local insurance lobbyists were indeed involved, but their advantage was that no one without insurance could draw an insurance company into a lawsuit. the lobbyists had won again.

3. isnt massachusetts considering requiring its residents to own health insurance?

4. we live in a hamster wheel on fire from the inside from all the needless friction. the reason we have health insurance is to pay for health costs, which are outrageous because of health insurance companies. i havent paid a hospital bill in 3 years. fuck em. they can keep sending bills to my house. i dont have money to eat, barely, sometimes. i pay a hundred bucks a week for an HMO that has a $100 copay for emergency room visits. thats an expensive ace bandage and ice bag.

5. i forgot what 5 was for.

6. i'm a gambling man myself, but i prefer socialized medicine. the insurance companies know what theyre getting into. the consumers have no idea. the consumer sees 2 of his 5 cars, the insurance companies see the whole deck and place their bets. our "bets" are required antes. we're fucked before we've been dealt the cards.

7. if 10% of the idiot women going in for boobjobs were to donate that $$$ to the poor, we wouldnt have a health care crisis in the united states. this is based on hard facts and evidence, which i can show to you in my prospectus. would you like to see my prospectus?
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 14th, 2005, 9:50 am

when i was a senyor in college
about to get my military commission
a fatherly wise-looking gent sold us all life insurance policies
at the ROTC building
(i was better off when SDS had a sit-in and tried to tell me it was ALL lies)

I paid on this "investment" for about two years.

There were two exclusions:
death as an aviator
and death in a combat zone

so after surviving pilot training and NamViet
i knew I was gonna lose my paycheck anyway
i thought i'd get back some of that cash investment
and got back about 25%.

fuckem and feedum fish

next year is the last year for the HMO
being dropped for big deductable

so I work for years with myself and wife covered
she gets her bunyons fixed
i get my colonoscopy
save money on meds for us both

then i get sick or hurt
i lose my health insurance caiuse can't work
what the fuck
i told the insurance company
insure my house at the lowest level required by law
she says
batting her eyes
we do that with everybody

soon will not be able to afford it.
i agree don be insurance poor

if it was just me i'd be doin th same
and when i retire
ahem
i'll be an indigent
once more
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 14th, 2005, 11:33 pm

Pre paid burial is what I been thinking about, But it is probably a scam. If I thought they would take it i would leave it to science.
free rice

I used to be smart

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 15th, 2005, 9:26 am

[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”