I'll Be Watching You

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

I'll Be Watching You

Post by Lightning Rod » January 3rd, 2006, 11:48 am

I'll Be Watching You
for release 01-03-05
Washington D.C.

At about 9:30 Central time on Sept. 11, 2001, I knew we were in for big trouble. The trouble was not going to come from the motley band of terrorists who had managed to score a bullseye that day, it was going to come from those who would capitalize on the fear generated by the event.

September 11 was a lucky day for at least two groups of people. One was the rag-tag bunch of terrorist who had parlayed a handful of box cutters into a devastating strike at the heart of our country. The other group was the neo-con fascists who are running our government now. They both got lucky strikes that day.

Prior to 9-11 the economy was going down the toilet and the president was spending most of his time working out and reading books to school children and wondering how to legitimize an administration that roughly half the people in the country thought had stolen the 2000 election by means of political tricks.

But all that changed when those jets struck the trade towers and the Pentagon. Suddenly a minimally articulate, questionably elected president owned by corporate vultures became Il Duce of the jutting jaw and the swagger. "We'll bring that nasty villain, bin Laden, in dead or alive," he said in his Wild West style. Within months our simpering Congress had granted Bush powers that he apparently assumed were dictatorial. We suddenly had a new language of fear and deception. We declared war on another noun. Terrorism.

The Poet's Eye saw that we were in deep trouble when people of sound mind and honorable intentions began to speak of the 'War on Terror' as if it were a real thing. It's not a real thing. 'The War on Terror' is nothing more than a marketing slogan that the executive branch of our government has used to extend its power to absurd extremes. Bush can now don the mantle of "Wartime President.' And what a wonderful war, this war on terror, it's a war that will never end.

One simple thing could have been done to prevent the kind of mischief that occurred on 9-11 from ever happening again. If we refit all commercial jet liners with an exterior cockpit door and blocked all access to the control cabin from the passenger section, that would have solved the problem. Instead we got a massive reorganization of government complete with layers of new and bumbling bureaucracy, new restrictions of our rights, a whole new vocabulary of fear and propaganda, two unnecessary wars, a mountain of debt and no better protection from terrorism than we had before.

The Poet's Eye sees the coming year as one of volatile change. As the debacle in Iraq becomes ever more apparent and the environmental and economic policies of this administration continue to take their toll and the scandals begin to ferment, the house of cards will crumble. Already our government is infested with corruption. The Congress is awash in dirty money. The Executive Branch has blatantly overstepped its power. Our email and telephone calls are being spied upon. How much more can we stand?

With every step you take
Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake
I’ll be watching you
Every move you make, every step you take
I’ll be watching you
I’ll be watching you
--Sting
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » January 3rd, 2006, 2:55 pm

In the illustration, Muss looks supremely self-confident and defiant. DUB simply looks like he found some Stilton that was a little over the edge in the aging process.

I think the illustration is well-chosen. Muss thought big-- bigger than Hitler in some ways, whom he often treated a bit contemptuously. Dolf even went on record as admiring Muss's tactics and chutzpah ( language choice intentional . . .).

Dub has no imagination, like many solidly-connected born-agains. The ilk seems to consist of folks who are part of what Nixon called "The Silent Majority", those, he was reminded, so-called by the poet Homer when he referred to the dead.

Here are a few references from "The Sage of Baltimore" (H.L. Mencken) which seem to apply to the case at hand:

(paste)

A bore is simply a nonentity who resents his humble lot in life, and seeks satisfaction for his wounded ego by forcing himself on his betters.
H. L. Mencken

A church is a place in which gentlemen who have never been to heaven brag about it to persons who will never get there.
H. L. Mencken

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
H. L. Mencken

A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
H. L. Mencken

--Z

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 3rd, 2006, 3:12 pm

Z,
you might find this article interesting

http://www.darkendeavors.com/commentari ... 3-2005.asp
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » January 3rd, 2006, 3:33 pm

Thanks, LR:

This is nice copy:

(paste)

President Bush is nothing if not a caricature of what he thinks a modern Teddy Roosevelt, himself a caricature, would act like. His world is full of manly declarations about loyalty and dedication, love of God and country, peace and good will, yet his actions often fail to convince, and his personal honor code is, let’s say, loosely enforced. He said he would fire anyone who leaked the name of a CIA agent to Robert Novak. But now it’s admitted to be key advisor Karl Rove, nicknamed by Bush “Turd Blossom” at one point. Bush told his press secretary to directly deny that Karl Rove was involved. Now, they cannot talk about "the ongoing investigation."

Bush claimed that setting a timeline for troop removal from Iraq was stupid and he hadn’t done it. The British said otherwise, and now the Pentagon admits it.

Bush announced Mission Accomplished more than two years ago. It wasn’t, isn’t, won’t be in even a middle distant future. We haven’t nailed al Quada, whose enthusiasts just blew up the London subway, because we’re destroying our military in Iraq in a replication of Vietnam. Invade, establish bases, defend forever. We have made fools of ourselves with idiot prison camps. But really, this isn’t Hitler.

It’s Il Duce that comes to mind. Incompetent, strutting, and clueless.

( end paste)

Crooked and confused and incompetent and overly-idealistic politicians often have crazy companions-- Muss had Ez Pound, a would-be cheerleader; Eugene McCarthy had American poet Robert Lowell, a loyal drinking buddy, and DUB has Tom Delay. Ralph Reed and Condaleeza. Nixon had Bebe Rebozo.

Time to quote Laurel and Hardy:

"Now lookit the mess you've got us in!"

Good column. Thanks for the link-- I agree with the writer.

--Z

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » January 3rd, 2006, 3:44 pm

Witty, smart, nasty and cute to boot:

Do you know this woman's work, LR?

http://www.wonkette.com/

Photo of the Wonkette and more praise from "Denver Lout"

http://www.darkendeavors.com/blogaboulder.asp

--Z

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”