Show Biz

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Show Biz

Post by Lightning Rod » January 22nd, 2006, 11:55 pm

Show Biz
for release 01-23-06
Washington D.C.
Editorial (New York Times)
Family Values on Fox
Published: January 22, 2006

The news that "American Idol" has started a new season with ratings even more enormous than last year's reminds us of an old query. In a nation with a disquieting surplus of moral arbiters, why isn't there a call to clean up television programs that specialize in humiliating the weak? People devote untold hours to worrying about the sexual orientation of cartoon characters, but nobody seems disturbed that more than 30 million American households watch a "family" show that picks out hapless, and frequently helpless, contestants solely for famous and powerful judges to make fun of them on national television.

"American Idol" is known, even among those who have never seen it, as a talent show in which a dozen or so young pop singers compete to win a recording contract and a national profile. But it begins every season with several weeks of early elimination rounds in which judges pick the handful of contestants who will make it to the finals from a preselected mixture of very talented and very terrible singers. The very terrible have reason to hope that, having come so far, they might actually be as good as they imagined in their dreams.

Most of them are extremely young, naïve and deluded. Many appear terribly vulnerable and some seem to border on mentally impaired. The fun is supposed to come from seeing the celebrity judges roll their eyes, laugh, and tell them that they are tone-deaf, fat, funny-looking or, in the case of one young man, "atrocious" and "confused." (The cameras followed him out of the audition room, the better to make sport of him crying with his family.) The producers so treasured the comment of one judge, Simon Cowell, who said an overweight woman would require a bigger stage in Hollywood, that they used it to promote the segment.

In many ways, all this is just a much more expensive, glittery version of the old "Gong Show" from the 1970's. But the targets of that less hypersuccessful program were generally older and frequently more cynical. And, of course, the whole thing happened in a different era, when family values was not an overriding obsession.

No one wants to censor Fox's money machine, but it does seem peculiar that a nation so torn apart over what message gay marriage or prayer in school will send to impressionable youth is so unified in giving a pass to a program that teaches young people that it's extremely cool to be mean.
I probably wouldn't have wasted my time watching American Idol at all, but for the fact that my teen-aged cultural consultant watched it in the same room where I was working. I would have assumed at a glance that the program was just Ted Mack Amateur Hour on steroids. But as I continued to watch it I realized that the program made some profound statements about American culture.

If you have ever seen the tens of thousands of people who show up for the American Idol cattle calls, you realize that our society runs on dreams.

Anybody who didn't fall off the turnip truck last night knows that in America, even though we try to maintain the fiction that everyone is equal, some are more equal than others. By accident of birth some are blessed with beauty or wealth or talent that makes the playing field of life less than level.

Part of the American Dream is to be a star. I used to think that it was just me who had these delusions of grandeur, but life and American Idol has shown me that almost everyone who has a heartbeat imagines himself as being a star. It's as American as Ethyl Merman belting out, "Curtain Up, Light the Lights, I've got nothin' to hit but the heights." It's hope. It's confidence. It's the intrepid American Spirit. Or maybe it's the human spirit, to aspire to live your dreams.

Perhaps American Idol is mean. Perhaps some participants get humiliated. Life is mean. People face a thousand small humiliations every day. Art imitates life and Show Biz imitates art. There is no drama without conflict. Good Story is about aspiration and sweat and passion and insight or delusion, with one of the inevitable outcomes--success or failure. It's the universal human drama.

There is also something viscerally inspiring about watching those who are minimally blessed with talent but who have high hopes, trying to defy the odds and like sperm in a jiggling sprint, try for the sacred egg of stardom and success. It makes a statement about how much we, as a culture, value fame and wealth and success.

Personally, I think that we should run our government like American Idol. We should elect our representatives this way. First you have a cattle call for every nutty politician or cab-driver with a political opinion. Then a panel of judges who are more critical than Simon Cowell winnows them down to the top 12. Then America votes on them by telephone or internet. based on how well they can tap-dance around the issues or sing the praises of their position or, hell, just look good while saying nothing in particular. The suspense would build week by week. Ooops, there goes Joe Biden. And next week it's John McCain. When it gets down to the short hairs, we have Hillary and Condi and Obama in the final three. We put them on a desert island in bikinis and let them fight it out with their bare teeth. Campaign finance would be no problem because it would soon become the most popular reality show on the air.

The Poet's Eye sees little difference in watching Survivor or Meet The Press. It's all Show Biz.

Curtain up! Light the lights!
You got nothing to hit but the heights!
You'll be swell. You'll be great.
I can tell. Just you wait.
That lucky star I talk about is due!
Honey, everything's coming up roses for me and for you!
---Stephen Sondheim

to subscribe to The Poet's Eye
click Here
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 23rd, 2006, 12:34 pm

"...trying to defy the odds and like sperm in a jiggling sprint, try for the sacred egg of stardom and success."
Excellent! Is this where our inherited competition 'cums' from? You're on to something here, L'Rod, that begs for more contemplation. :)

firsty

Post by firsty » January 23rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

not that i'm going to report you to the copyright police, mr stealing ultrapay content from the nytimes, ha HA.

i actually envy those tone deaf fools for getting up in front of judges and singing. i could never do that. i'm so tone deaf i only sing for my kids, but especially as a kid, i couldnt even manage to FIND OUT if i was tone deaf by singing for myself on tape, thats how insecure i was.

i like the idea of american president idol survivor. w would have gotten voted off of survivor in the first week just for being a fucking douchebag. and here he is our president.

bob ice for president!
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 23rd, 2006, 1:09 pm

I say Tony Bennett for president
or Toni Tennille or Toni Braxton
or just somebody toni

Let's get Stevie Wonder for president
he sings good
would that be the blind leading the blind?

The Poet's Eye

firsty

Post by firsty » January 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm

"i just bombed
to say
i love you"

i say: tom cruise for president. it's about time we had a monkey in the oval office.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 23rd, 2006, 2:42 pm

I thought we already had a monkey in the oval office

The Poet's Eye

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 23rd, 2006, 5:13 pm

Those tone-deaf contestants are probably network "plants". That part of the show is staged, isn't it?

firsty

Post by firsty » January 26th, 2006, 4:18 pm

well, there you have it. too bad, lr, you didnt patent the idea (like i did with "faction"):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060126/tv_nm/canada_dc

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”