A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » February 7th, 2006, 11:50 am

for release 02-07-06
Washington D.C.

The Poet's Eye watches in amazement as violent protests erupt across the Muslim world over the Danish publication of cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed in a less than flattering way.

From Tehran to Afghanistan to Lebanon to Somalia . Syria, Indonesia, Thailand, there has been an outpouring of rage against Denmark for having a free press. Embassies have been burned. And this is all over some cartoons? Don't believe it. It's about religion.

I don't mean to suggest that literature, even popular literature like cartoons, doesn't sometimes have a profound effect on political events. Uncle Tom's Cabin comes to mind and Mein Kampf and the cartoons of Thomas Nast. Events in the news also can have a galvanizing effect. I'm thinking of the sinkings of the Lusitania and the Maine as being the fuses that lit the powder-keg of war.

God knows, we Americans are idolators. Why do you think the most popular television show on the air is called American Idol? The Muslim religion forbids idolatry. Check out Muslim art and architecture. There are no depictions of the human form. There are no gargoyles on their temples and no pictures of Mohammed on the walls of their mosques. That would be idolatry. So, the representation of the Prophet Mohammed in cartoon would be understandably insulting to the observant Muslim.

Ok, let's turn it around. Suppose that Al Jazeera broadcast a mini-series about Jesus having illicit anal sex with Mary Magdalene or, god forbid, with Judas Iscariot. Let's get Mel Gibson to direct it. This might upset some Christians, especially those at the lower end of the intelligence scale, but I doubt if the Christian factions, whether they be Catholic or Baptist, would assault the Qatar Embassy in Washington with fire bombs. Maybe Muslims are being a bit thin-skinned on this cartoon issue. Or perhaps there are other more explosive issues that underlie this fuse of a cartoon.

If I were a Muslim, I would be more upset that America has military bases and economic interests in my holy land and that America is a supporter of Israel, which is viewed in the Arab world as a usurper nation which has subjugated the Palestinian people, than I would be about a cartoon published in a Scandinavian newspaper four months ago. Maybe what we are observing is a case of transference.

It wasn't really the Lusitania incident that got us into WWI. It wasn't really the Maine incident that got us into the Spanish American War. It wasn't the Gulf of Tonkin incident that got us into the Vietnam War. It wasn't even the attack on Pearl Harbor that got us into WWII or the attack on the Trade Towers that got us into the so-called War on Terror. In all these cases there was a substrate of political agenda and financial interests and public sentiment forming a dry tinderbox just waiting for the spark of ignition.

Humans have a history of going to war for some pretty silly reasons. There was a war in Russia in which thousands of people died. The war was started by a religious dispute over whether it was proper to cross yourself with two or three fingers. Another mythical war (besides the war on terror,) The Trojan War, was a dispute over a woman. But reasons for war are often composed after the wars themselves are over. They are much like cartoons, caricatures of past events, excuses more than causes.

"Please remain. You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war."
--W. R. Hearst writing to illustrator Frederic Remington, 1898

to subscribe to The Poet's Eye
click Here
Last edited by Lightning Rod on February 7th, 2006, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

STUPID BOB

Post by STUPID BOB » February 7th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Carpe Delirium

STUPID BOB

OK

Post by STUPID BOB » February 7th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Carpe Delirium

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » February 7th, 2006, 3:35 pm

don mess wid de heyzeuz
man
Last edited by jimboloco on February 7th, 2006, 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 7th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Shut up or I will shut you up.

Dag gone jim that was for SB not you, I have not seen him since perezoso left

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 7th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Clay I thought about using a smiley on my post above t but figured he is too ugly fo use one those.

Why do you think all of a sudden out of the blue those Europeans decided to stop sucking up to the oil wells in the middle east? Microbe asked that question, got no answer. I wonder what michael B thinks, going to ask him. Something rotten in Denmark?

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » February 8th, 2006, 10:04 am

Since you are all in such a talkative mood maybe you would give me your opinion on this.

How did this become a issue now? I mean after years of sucking up to those middle eastern oil wells why has Europe become so brave? Why now? Why are they rubbing the Muslim noses in this?

You know that comment about "shut up or I will shut you up" and the way you two responded it was why I started deleting all my posts from studio eight. For what it is worth.
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”