The Thought, The Word, The Deed

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » February 18th, 2006, 12:54 am

michael,

I think that your perception of the situation is dead on. It's probably more sinister than we think.

Thank you for providing continued and penetrating analysis. I love the way you nail it down.

But, you know, The Poet's Eye is for entertainment purposes only. :lol: :lol:
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Michael

Post by Michael » February 18th, 2006, 2:12 am

Oh, yes, sir, LR, you entertain me. I’m not kissin’ up (unless you’re very wealthy) but you’re writing is superb and, indeed, entertaining. I’d read put your writing along side that of any “known” rag writer.

To friendship,
Michael

stilltrucking

Re: The Thought, The Word, The Deed

Post by stilltrucking » February 18th, 2013, 3:56 am

Clay wrote:
I think that your perception of the situation is dead on. It's probably more sinister than we think.
Seven years later and it is still entertaining,

Michael

Post by Michael » March 12th, 2013, 4:29 pm

If you who may read this again will allow me this anthropomorphism, when a father loves a daughter and she grows and marries, he wants her husband to treat her as if she was the most special being in the universe. He wants him to caress her lovingly; give her the feeling that she is the most important person or thing in his life. He wants his daughter to be blissful, not just happy. I know this because I have three daughters and I love all three of them very much.

I also love words and I’ve seen them beaten and abused. In The FUSA, we no longer speak English. We speak American and American is nothing more but is headed towards being less than extremely corrupted English. It’s really sad.

Cyberspace has taken that corruption even further. u know what i said that 4 Texting is not only impersonal, but it builds on the pride we have in our ignorance and laziness.

I love words. It hurts me to see them destroyed by lazy people, prompted by a Corporatocracy that wants nothing more than to see stupid Americans saying stupid things in stupid ways; all the better to manipulate them.

I can say or write that I would have no problem entrusting LR with each and every word in, at least, the English language, because I would know that he would take each and every one of them and caress them lovingly and treat them as if they were the most import entities in the universe. Maybe words may not possess the ability to feel bliss, but they have the ability to own clarity.

I love words and, although LR treated them like beautiful women or a son or daughter that he loved very much, I, to this day, carry some envy that I do not have even half of the ability to do to my beloved words what LR could do. If I wasn’t an atheist, I might say that’s why god made people like LR – to give us a goal that we may never reach but towards which we can strive. If I’m ever able to give words even a fraction of the love given to them by LR, I will think that I’ve accomplished a quite a bit.

To friendship,
Michael

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 13th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I loved Clay's prose. A master stylist. I wish I was even half the writer he was. Blessed be his memory.
>>>
more sinister than we think... :?:
if it were anymore sinister it would have to be pulp fiction.

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."

copy and paste from wicki

In the novel, it refers to the deliberately impoverished language promoted by the state. Orwell explained the basic principles of the language in an essay included as an appendix to the novel.[1] Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. The totalitarian aim of the Party is to prevent any alternative thinking—"thoughtcrime", or "crimethink" in the newest edition of Newspeak—by destroying any vocabulary that expresses such concepts as freedom, free enquiry, individualism, resistance to the authority of the state and so on. One character, Syme, says admiringly of the diminishing scope of the new language: "It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."

The Newspeak term for the English language is Oldspeak. The Party intends to replace Oldspeak completely with Newspeak before 2050 (except among the Proles, who are not trained in Newspeak and whom the Party regards as barely human and unimportant).
Orwell was inspired to invent Newspeak by the constructed language Basic English, which he promoted from 1942 to 1944 before emphatically rejecting it in his essay "Politics and the English Language".[2][why?] In this paper he deplores the bad English of his day, citing dying metaphors, pretentious diction or rhetoric, and meaningless words, which he claimed to encourage unclear thought and reasoning. Towards the end of the essay, Orwell states:

“ I said earlier that the decadence of our language is probably curable. Those who deny this would argue, if they produced an argument at all, that language merely reflects existing social conditions, and that we cannot influence its development by any direct tinkering with words or constructions.

To remove synonyms and antonyms
The aim of Newspeak is to remove all shades of meaning from language, leaving simple concepts (pleasure and pain, happiness and sadness, goodthink and crimethink) that reinforce the total dominance of the State. Newspeak root words serve as both nouns and verbs, further reducing the total number of words; for example, "think" is both noun and verb, so the word thought is not required and can be abolished. The party also intends that Newspeak be spoken in staccato rhythms with syllables that are easy to pronounce. This will make speech more automatic and unconscious and reduce the likelihood of thought. (See duckspeak.)

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”