My Space

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
libberator

Post by libberator » June 8th, 2007, 12:10 pm

this is probably my favorite lightning rod column.
I remember when myspace first started to pick up speed back when it was still flying under the radar. I was only 14 and the age requirement was 16 but i didn't care i just subtracted two years from my date of birth and I was good to go.

a year later the news came out that myspace had surpassed google in number of hits and the media began to go crazy.

I remember how fast the hysteria spread. myspace was quickly blocked by all the school computers and the superintendent called in all the parents to give them a lecture on the dangers of myspace.

as this happened I began to dedicate myself to educating concerned parents. instead of using hysteria I would sit down with parents and show them how to navigate myspace and teach them all the pros and cons.

eventually the hysteria died down but i still continue to educate friends and family on the dangers and benefits of myspace.
Perhaps I'm just a cynic, but The Poet's Eye has noticed that in the past couple of weeks, you can't turn on the television without seeing a story about MySpace and sexual predators on one of the major networks (except for Fox, which is owned by Murdoch.) It's an effective competitive technique. Link your rivals with pederasty and scandal.
you have an incredible ability to find recognize propaganda
[size=117]Cut It Up[/size]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”