Madonna and Brangelina and Exotic Pets

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » March 15th, 2007, 12:30 pm

for release Ides of March 07
Washington DC

I was in a pet shop the other day when I thought about Madonna and Angelina Jolie. Then I thought about Oprah and Mia Farrow.

Celebrity adoptions are nothing new. Actresses have been doing it for years in order to enjoy the bliss and warmth of motherhood without sacrificing their waistlines. Betty Davis and Joan Crawford both adopted. Bob Hope adopted four children, but I don't think it was for the benefit of his waistline, nor do I imagine that Rosie O'Donnell was thinking about hers. Or Walt Disney.

At one time celebrities were more discreet about their adoptions. But in the sixties it became a political statement. Luminaries like Andre Previn and Mia Farrow and Julie Andrews and Blake Edwards, Yul Brenner, adopted refugees from the Vietnam war. It was fashionable.

But nowadays it seems that good old domestic orphans are not good enough. The upwardly mobile and socially conscious celebrity wants an exotic child for a pet, one from a place you've never heard of but is torn by war and steeped in poverty and disease. It's ever so much more romantic than adopting from the local animal shelter.

Mia Farrow adopted 10 children from developing countries. One ended up on Woody's woody. Meg Ryan brought home a girl from China. Ewan (Obi Wan) McGregor and his wife went clear to Outer Mongolia to choose their daughter. Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise, Michelle Pfeiffer, producer Steven Spielburg and his wife Kate Capshaw all have adopted outside their own races and nationalities. It's the in thing. Call it Noblesse Oblige. If you have more money than god, then you are expected to share some of it with the needy and downtrodden. And little large eyed, starving children are so cute and photogenic.

A picture comes to my mind. It is the classic caricature of the the hefty matron who is dripping jewelry and wearing a feather boa and carrying one of those impossible little dogs that are born with hairdos and wear sweaters and have psychiatrists. Little Fifi is a nervous wreck because she is so over-bred and over-pampered. I wonder how an adopted child from Malawi feels like living in Madonna's London palace?

Yes, at one time the Hollywood studios and the public relations people would avoid talking about adoptions by celebrities. If a couple adopted, it was due to issues of sterility or homosexuality, they didn't want to talk about that. Now, they publicize the event of an adoption. Every tabloid in the check-out aisle at the grocery store trumpets, "Saint Celebrity Rescues Child from Hopeless Poverty" and like Queen for a Day or American Idol the child is suddenly catapulted into fame and a privileged life. Ah, The American Dream.

Does anyone else find this tawdry and cheap and exploitive? Vanity projects, public praying? Madonna and Brangelina and Oprah are all casting themselves as Mother Theresa. They are going into the Third World and bestowing the blessings of their money and fame on poor, suffering souls. It's so noble. And it sells.

Last year we adopted a cat from our local animal shelter. He is a white cat. I know that's déclassé, but he's just a regular white, anglo-saxon, Protestant American cat. He needed a home. So we gave him one. I guess we should have adopted a Siamese. Then The Poet's Eye could see our picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. --I Corinthians
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Jenni Mansfield Peal

Kids and Parents

Post by Jenni Mansfield Peal » March 15th, 2007, 3:37 pm

Jayne Mansfield had five of her own.
Family anecdote: Jayne Marie, my half-sister, Jayne's oldest daughter, was born when Jayne was a teenager. Hollywood was just a gleam in Jayne's eye, but it grew while she and daddy struggled as a young couple in married student housing at the University of Texas. When my dad went to Korea, Jayne went to Hollywood and took Jaynie Marie with her. Jaynie Marie was always required to lie about her age as she grew up, making them both younger in the eyes of the press. Jayne managed to keep her shape and popularity through a few more pregnancies. Publicity was Jayne's pet. Still, there seem to be just as many publicity shots of Jayne with her chihuahuas as with her children. Here's Jayne and Jayne Marie.
Jayne in a classic publicity tease pose:
And another time:
Come to think of it, other than the age thing, it seems like Jayne just mainly exploited the press. This is apart from her glitzy Hollywood make-over, you know - this was just Jayne.
Enjoyed ramblin' on about the family monster - it's all Hollywood -
JMP
Photos by Tom Peal

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 15th, 2007, 8:54 pm

The upwardly mobile and socially conscious celebrity wants an exotic child for a pet
Wow. I can't believe you said that. That's just soooo... umm... how shall I say it?... belittling!

These people are adopting children because they want to adopt CHILDREN, and, my dear, a child is NEVER a pet and there is no way that any of them would consider such a thing! I'm shaking my head because I know you think you're being funny because you told me that others replied to this column negatively on another forum you go to and you said, "they have no sense of humor." Well hmmm... I know I have a good sense of humor, but that's just so totally NOT funny!
Does anyone else find this tawdry and cheap and exploitive?
I do not think that a celebrity adopting a child from another country is cheap or exploitive. I DO, however, think that the media is cheap and exploitive for making such a big deal out of it and I also think that this column continues the rampant exploitation of these people's private lives by not only making fun of them but by insinuating that they are adopting children from another country as a publicity stunt.
Last year we adopted a cat from our local animal shelter. He is a white cat. I know that's déclassé
OK. I admit it. I had to look up déclassé. I didn't know what it meant.

http://www.answers.com/déclassé/
dé·clas·sé (d?'klä-s?')
adj.
Lowered in class, rank, or social position.
Lacking high station or birth; of inferior social status.
Are you trying to say that adopting a cat who is "white" is low class because you didn't rescue and adopt a cat who was "black"? OR? What are you trying to say?

This isn't one of my favorite columns of yours. Not that I don't appreciate the fact that I truly believe you are trying to present your idea of humor.

But since you asked me to read it and comment to it, I just have to say that some of the wording in this column offended me.

As a person who loves children and feels that adults who care enough about children to want to adopt children should be respected, I find a lot of disrespect here toward those who are doing the adopting. I also feel that children are people and should never be referred to as "pets" even in a tongue-and-cheek way. Plus, I don't think it's funny to compare races by using the color of a cat's fur.

:)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 19th, 2007, 1:56 pm

hi mingus!! I really like that cat!!
I can´t avoid to wonder a lot of things when I heard about multicultural adoptations from rich-famous people... I smell something redemptionist-mesianic-look-how-exotic-I-am in that. Maybe I´m wrong. I also wonder how easy they get their childs... I know from one couple here in my city (with all and plus the conditions that requires the State) that had to wait more than 10 years for a kid to adopt.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”