Helping boy came first,says illegal immigrant

What in the world is going on?
jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 3rd, 2007, 10:51 pm

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/29/World ... firs.shtml

Fifty miles from Tucson, a crash survivor diverts a migrant's quest.
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published November 29, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHOENIX - An illegal immigrant who gave up his long walk into the United States to help a boy whose mother was killed in a van crash in the desert said Wednesday that he never thought of leaving the child.

"I am a father of four children. For that, I stayed," Manuel Jesus Cordova Soberanes said in Spanish from his home in the Mexican state of Sonora. "I never could have left him. Never."

Authorities said Cordova may have saved the life of 9-year-old Christopher Buztheitner, whose mother was killed when their van ran off a cliff in a remote area north of the Mexican border on Thanksgiving Day.

A spokeswoman for the Mexican consulate in Nogales said the office is working to obtain a short-term visa for Cordova so he can come to Arizona and be recognized for his actions.

The 26-year-old bricklayer was two days into his walk and about 50 miles from Tucson when he saw the boy, who had walked away from the crash.

From his home in Magdalena de Kino, Cordova said Christopher had scrapes on his leg and was dressed in shorts despite the desert cold. He had his dog with him.

Neither Cordova nor Christopher spoke the other's language, but the boy took the migrant to the edge of a canyon and showed him the accident site.

Authorities said Christopher and his mother, 45-year-old Dawn Alice Tomko, had been in the area camping. Tomko was driving on a U.S. Forest Service road when she lost control of the van, which landed 300 feet from the road.

"I felt frustrated and sad because I couldn't do anything for the mother," Cordova said.

The boy was distraught but did not cry, he said. He gave him the sweater he was wearing and found chocolate and cookies in the van to feed him. He built a fire, and the two hunkered down. The boy slept most of the night; Cordova tended the fire.

Fourteen hours later, a group of hunters found the pair and called for help. U.S. Border Patrol agents took Cordova into custody, and Christopher was flown to a hospital in Tucson.

Christopher was reunited with family over the weekend.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada said Cordova is "very special and compassionate" and may have saved the boy's life.

Adriana Hoyos Rodriguez, the mayor of
Magdalena de Kino, called Cordova a hero. "He left everything to save that boy."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Perry M 11/29/07 12:34 PM
This story neglects to point out that the boys father died a few months ago which is why he was with his mother on a camping trip. Imagine the result if this illegal person wasn't there. Makes you think doesn't it?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helping boy came first Nov. 29, story

Extraordinary action

After walking through the desert for two days, Manuel Jesus Cordova Soberanes came across a 9-year-old survivor of a car crash that had killed his mother. Without hesitation, he abandoned his attempt to cross the border and cared for the boy until he was rescued by a group of hunters. Manuel was taken into custody by the Border Patrol - just another illegal immigrant.

Lori Naumann, Spring Hill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helping boy came first Nov. 29, story

Characteristic behavior

During my 20-year tenure as a health department director, I had the opportunity to come in contact with migrant associations and both legal and illegal migrants.

The actions of Manuel Jesus Cordova Soberanes in assisting a boy after a tragic accident well represent the character of the migrant community. Whether legal or illegal, they are hardworking individuals committed to their families. Any one of them would have stayed at the boy's side.

A few more illegals like him might improve the character of our nation, which has lost too much compassion in pursuit of material wealth.

Marc J. Yacht, Hudson

the strongest force alive is basic humanity
but hey, we gotta build a fence to keep it out
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 4th, 2007, 9:59 pm

That illegal 'migrant shouldn't been on American soil. Saving kiddies ain't no defense for breakin' THE LAW.

What if all illegals claimed they've saved some kid from a car wreck? Think of all the dead parents that would cause! Say No to the Illegals. Lew Dobbs for Prez!!

see today's www.democracynow.org Dobbs v. Amy goodman/Juan Gonzalez showdown
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 5th, 2007, 10:27 pm

i heard a riff of that on the radio

jesus is coming
and he's from mexico

i am starting to get a clue about your sar·don·ic humor
hope it keeps you sane
thanks!
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”