New Year's Resolutions

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Lightning Rod

New Year's Resolutions

Post by Lightning Rod » December 31st, 2004, 12:30 pm

I usually eschew new year's resolutions because they normally involve either doing something I don't want to do or not doing something that I enjoy.

This Christmas, doreen's son flew in from Seattle where he is haltingly trying to practice the revolutionary arts. He asked me not to smoke around him. I said, "Fine, when you see me light up you are free to leave the room." I pointed to the deck out back where the temperature is about 20 degrees and said, "That's the breathing section. In here is the smoking section." He thought I was joking, so I lit a cigarette.

I can remember and appreciate the arrogance of youth. I had a healthy dose of it myself. I felt like forcing my opinions on others. I would think nothing of getting into an argument about religion or politics. I took to the streets to protest a war that I knew was wrong. So, if doreen's son wants to wear a Yassur Arafat head dress and learn a few words of Arabic, that's fine with me, but I don't want him coming into my house and telling me how to manage my behavior.

When I go to someone else's house and they prefer that I not smoke there, I honor that desire and go smoke outside in the 20 degree weather. It's their house. It is an extension of their body. It deserves to be respected.

This year my resolution is to promote Body Sovereignty with all my energy.

What are your new year's resolutions?
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 31st, 2004, 1:03 pm

I resolve not to smoke around people who have health problems, especially when they point their health problems out to me and ask me not to smoke around them. After all, they have Body Sovereignty and I need to respect it.

I resolve to realize that my behavior and how I manage it can effect others and I will, from here on out, do whatever I need to do to make sure my behavior doesn't effect others negatively.

I'm also going to do myself a big favor and spend way less time in this box so I can discover what a real life can afford me.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » December 31st, 2004, 1:46 pm

The "avatar" on your message above is a delight, D.

I hope it's a piece of your own work, but whoever it belongs to, it's terrific.

I smoked for many years, then I quit about twenty-five years ago.

There are so many damned regulations and restrictions on personal behavior, I try to respect the rights of smokers, even though smoking makes me gag nowadays.

The deeper problem, of course, is science. Now, science just saved my life in 2004, so naturally I am grateful. Picasso smoked from age thirteen and died at 92 (1881-1973), smoking those damned cigar-leaf French gaspers. My father smoked three packs of Camels per day and died at 53 of lung cancer.

A friend just sent me a clipping from the NYT , an obituary for an Alpine guide who led expeditions to the top of the Matterhorn until he was 95. He died at 103 this year.

Wendy Wyland, an Olympic, medal-winning diver, died at 38.

Let us, as Samuel Johnson prayed, direct our desire:

"O Lord, take my body but spare my Understanding . . ."

Happy New Year,

Zlatko

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 31st, 2004, 2:34 pm

Thanks, Zlatko.

Yeah, I created that little image. I'm going to create a few of them so I can keep changing them. Change is good! I'm glad you like it!

I saw your comment about the banners changing, too, and I'm glad you like that idea, as well! Thanks so much for your kind comments! I'm having FUN! ;)

I've been smoking since I was 16. And I'm asthmatic. It's nuts. I want to quit. I enjoy it but the enjoyment doesn't outweigh the negative aspects of it. Smoking makes your clothing stink. And worse. Sure, some can live long lives and smoke throughout their lives, but others, as you noted, die early from diseases directly related to the smoking. Unlike diseases which can hit you because of heredity, you do have some control over preventing certain diseases. Smoking is expensive in many ways. I'm a fool for continuing it. It's very addictive. I bet I'd feel a whole lot better if I stopped smoking. I wonder how to best go about it.

Have I told you how happy I am that science saved your life?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 1st, 2005, 12:14 am

I was going to resolve to quit smoking, but I just can't let it go yet, so I resolve to never delete another post. I read this on the other stirng, about a man's or woman's home is their castle and i agree, but I would hope to have a non smoking wing for friends with health issues more urgent then mine, that's a laff.

speaking of camels
in the fifties on tv the shows they sponsored always had a bit about what veterans hospitol they were sending free cartons of camels too. My favorite add was the three out of five doctors smoke camels.

one hour forty six to midnight here don't think I can make it

happy new year

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » January 1st, 2005, 8:45 am

Resolutions are the promisies that we keep which in the end determine who we are as a person. Mine will be to try and finally meet up with you wonderful people that make this place such a charm to be apart of it!!!!

Return to “General Discussion”