To Tell The Truth--Million Little Pieces

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

To Tell The Truth--Million Little Pieces

Post by Lightning Rod » January 19th, 2006, 11:02 am

To Tell The Truth
for release 01-19-06
Washington D.C.

In the mid seventies, a press agent in Dallas took an interest in me as a young poet. Jim Erwin had worked for Lyndon Johnson, John Connally and Willie Nelson and many other Texas pols and entertainers. He was an old-timer in the business and I was just an upstart. Within a month after meeting him I had gone from playing small bars and coffee houses in Dallas to playing my flute in the State Capitol Rotunda in Austin and my picture was on the front page of the Dallas Morning News.

I listened to Jim's advice. Why? Because he was a genius. Also because he knew every nook and cranny of his business. He was formally retired from the PR business, but he still knew everyone in the world. The work he did for me was strictly pro bono.

When he first decided to work in my behalf, he took me aside and said, "The only thing that a writer has is his credibility. Never, never, never, never ever lie to the press. If you make a reporter look bad by blowing his credibility, you are dead in the press. If you lie to them, number one, they will always discover it. And two, they will drop you like a hot rock when they do."

But Jim Erwin is dead now and so is his sense of ethical behavior regarding the press. He was from the old school. The old school has shattered into a million little pieces.

These days you are dead in the press unless you are an expert liar. Cite as an example, James Frey and his fanciful memoir A Million Little Pieces. It's the hottest piece of fiction masquerading as fact since the Castaneda books about Don Juan. Oprah endorsed it and, as was predictable, sales went through the roof.

When reporters, like the people from SmokingGun.com started digging into the facts, as reporters will do, they discovered that A Million Little Pieces was a work of the imagination rather than a journalistic account of events as it was presented. Memoirs fall into the category of non-fiction. This has always baffled me. Even truthful people are prone to lie when they are talking about themselves.

A Million Little Pieces was presented by its publishers as fact when it was largely fiction. But if you can get over on Oprah, you can get over on the world. The book has sold over 3.5 million copies. And fueled by the current controversy, it has gone into another printing. People are buying the book just to see what all the talk is about, it's as good for sales as being banned in Boston.

Of course hoaxes and fiction trying to present itself as fact is nothing new to the literary world. The Bible comes to mind and The Book of Mormon, the Urantia Book. Orson Welles' production of War of the Worlds as a live radio play is a good example. The radio program was not presented as news nor was it intended to deceive but it was so convincing that many people accepted it as real. Besides Castaneda's works, many other pieces of fiction have taken on a mantle of factuality. In the early 1980's someone tried to sell the world on a diary purportedly written by Adolf Hitler. My favorite is the Clifford Irving autobiography of Howard Hughes. It was a brilliant con.

We can read endless apocryphal accounts of history and miracles and redemption until the question becomes: Do the facts necessarily have anything to do with the Truth?

Does is matter if Don Juan ever existed in order for the truths that were expressed in the Castaneda books to be valid? Does it matter if Jesus ever really existed to make the truths in the New Testament valid? This is the same argument that Oprah used when she called in her endorsement of Frey's book on Larry King last week. She said that it didn't matter if the facts were in order because the narrative was powerful and moving (in that sobby Oprah way) and that people's lives were changed by it.

This is the same argument that BushCo is using to sell their failed war in Iraq--"It doesn't matter if we had our facts straight, all that matters is that people's lives were changed."

One of the hallmarks of good fiction is that it can make the reader believe he is in a real world. That's why my new literary heroes are Karl Rove and Andy Card and Dick Cheney and their little talking monkey, too. They made the whole country think that we are at war with a noun (terror). They put us in a world where Saddam Hussein is joined at the hip with Osama bin Laden and his evil terrorist organization. They convinced this nation to ignore the man behind the curtain. They write fiction better than James Frey.

But, in the end, I think my old mentor Jim Erwin's teachings will endure. Liars will always be found out, or more likely, they will betray themselves.

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose
If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues
Just go and listen it'll start with a smile
It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try
Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find
How you got there, so just blow your mind
---John Sebastian

to subscribe to The Poet's Eye
click Here
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 19th, 2006, 2:12 pm

pssst! hey! was this piece fact or fiction..?

does putting your own spin on your own writing make it fact or does it make it fiction.

are scientific books fact or are they fiction..?

who wrote what and why did they write anything in the first place..?

is selling a piece of writing only as good as it sounds?

is fiction based on fact worth reading?

what is a memoir that is unreadable at worst or so boring that it'll never sell?

if writing is based on personal perception and that perception is not what others percieve it to be... is it fact or is it fiction?

should every memoir from now on be investigated for its facts before it is published?

did the writers of the 'new testament' really know Jesus?

if it happens in my head did it really happen?

:wink:

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 19th, 2006, 2:50 pm

great interp, cec

here is Mark Morford's column on the same subject

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...otes011806.DTL

this is why he gets the big bucks
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 19th, 2006, 2:59 pm

'Memoir' is a non-fiction account of one's life, which may or may not contain degrees of 'embellishment'. But there's a big difference between embellishment of experience and outright fabrication.

'Novel' can fall anywhere on the spectrum between fiction and non-fiction. Frey's book is basically a work of fiction, a novel, perhaps semi-autobiographical in parts. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of good books are written this way. But it is what it is-- a great read perhaps, but not a memoir. Oprah and others should not be led to tearfully believe that this book recounts the compelling true story of a real-life addict overcoming scores of fantastic, ultra-horrific events, if in fact no such events occurred.

Check the parallels to Bushco's 'War on Terror'.... Chapter 2: Iraq's Grave Threat. Same deal. It made for good copy-- a rollicking good read-- but it was fiction, and should have been advertised as such. These things make a difference. No, really. They do.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » January 19th, 2006, 4:20 pm

It doesn't matter to me if something in a book really happened.

Even if it's fictional, I go into a mindset where it's as good as real (Assuming that it's good and I'm willing to take the time and energy to do that). And in a fun metaphorical and magical way, good fiction *is* real.

James Frey may very well change someone's life.
Castaneda does change people's lives, I've seen it.

The Bush administration has definitely changed people's lives.
Indeed, <i>dying</i> is an immense change to someone's life.

From a magical/mystical standpoint, fiction can be and often is real; however, lies are never real. Lies carry no weight in a magical sense.
Now, what I mean by that is hard to explain because it's very abstract, and I don't know if it even can be explained in this venue, so it's possible that I'm adding nothing to the discussion here.

But in the example of Castaneda, we have what may be a collection of fiction wrapped in a lie; but the fiction has weight.

In the case of "Bushco," the lie is wrapped over theft and murder. The lie doesn't count for anything, but the theft and murder are action and thus have weight. However, that weight is, in a magical sense, poisonous. Such actions poison the people that perform them. A man can only go so far when he goes by poisoning himself.
Eventually he dies, and he's the one who did it.

So, anyway, I'm done with my mumbo-jumbo and hocus-pocus.
Just my abstract metaphorical way of looking at things.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 19th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Mars... understood what you said... and agree, btw. :)

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 19th, 2006, 9:29 pm

mtmynd wrote:is fiction based on fact worth reading?
Sure it is. Novels can be semi-fictional memoirs
should every memoir from now on be investigated for its facts before it is published?
Perhaps. Depends on context.
did the writers of the 'new testament' really know Jesus?
Perhaps not. But were they writing their own memoirs?

if it happens in my head did it really happen?

Of course it did. In your head. And your memoir will report it as such, right?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 19th, 2006, 9:56 pm

ah hah, mnaz!

your answers were good.

my point was books... and how much do we really know about the content, any content. we as readers read the book and decide whether we like it or not.. if it did something for us.

as far a fact or fiction, bioigraphy or memoir, etc... is it not the responsibility of the publisher to find the niche for 'their' book? is it the responsibility of the publisher to make sure content is true to fact? I've heard said the Frey's book had 15 pages that weren't completely honest.. out of ?? pages? this book is a memoir... and how many books of that genre do not have some totally honest pages?? come on! the purpose of a book is not to bore but to hold interest, is it not? and embellishing some 'dry spots' is 'artistic freedom'... as long as the intent of the book (story) isn't a total fabrication. IMHO, anyway... besides 'memoir' is a memory of a life, an event, a happening to a person, yes? whose memory is infallible..?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 19th, 2006, 11:03 pm

I suppose it's a matter of degree, this "embellishment" of which you speak, Cec. Where does embellishment end and pure fabrication begin? If Frey only fudged the details here and there, then more power to him. But if he invented numerous episodes "out of thin air"-- that's fine also, but I don't want him passing it off as a personal memoir. I haven't read either the book or the Smoking Gun expose, so I guess I can't make a full judgment.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 20th, 2006, 12:13 am

mnaz - include me in on not reading the book or the S/G report. I was just generalizing anyhoo. :wink:

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 20th, 2006, 7:04 am

Editor's note: From this point on, I will no longer argue about literature. It never fails to get me into some sort of trouble.
Last edited by mnaz on January 20th, 2006, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 20th, 2006, 1:13 pm

mnaz - :)

Literature is not my #1 interest. I am unable to argue about it. I'm a 'Lit Loser"...

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 20th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Me too.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » January 22nd, 2006, 10:11 am

Cec - thanks, it's nice to know I didn't come off as a babbling crackpot :)

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » January 26th, 2006, 8:40 pm

In the case of "Bushco," the lie is wrapped over theft and murder. The lie doesn't count for anything, but the theft and murder are action and thus have weight. However, that weight is, in a magical sense, poisonous. Such actions poison the people that perform them. A man can only go so far when he goes by poisoning himself.
Eventually he dies, and he's the one who did it.
well Nixon poisoned hisself
and really so did Lyndon Johnson

this guy Dubya is so ensconced
the miricle that i would pray for is a resounding democratis victory this year and the resultant majority could hold impeachment hearings. That being said, I think that Kerry poisoned hisself as well by his lack of courage and consistency in not strongly opposing an invasion of Iraq from the get-go

the whole damn country is sick, no doubt
let the healing begin
Last edited by jimboloco on February 1st, 2006, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”