Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Go ahead. Talk about it.
stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 10th, 2009, 8:26 am

I hope it does some good Cecil I hope gives him some traction in his diplomatic efforts to bring peace in our time.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 10th, 2009, 8:59 am

While taking my morning shower I was thinking about some connections - Hope, AR... Bill Clinton... the ubiquitous Obama poster with the word 'HOPE' on it... and all the hopes that have been placed on this one human being... hope, hope, hope and more hope... i thought of my cecilism: 'hope is the desire that instinct is right' ... how many times have we heard that one word in the past one year, at least?

there is more hope out there and for good reason... we need it... hope is the final thing left when there's little else to hold on to... "give us hope for nothing else remains"... and here is this one man, one out of 6+ billion of us on this one planet... this one Obama has the weight of this world on his shoulders like no other before him, politically or otherwise, and he remains humble, he remains confident, he remains collected and he retains his humor... how can anyone stand tall and speak with such wisdom as this man? hope? your damned right, truck... that's about the end of the line as far as what we see going on in our world, at our age.. it's both amazing and totally bewildering... it's awe-inspiring and it's scarier than hell... nobody has a crystal ball but listen to the pundits, listen to the critics, listen to the foolishness every day coming out of the media... and you'd swear that they know something that we don't. you know what? they don't know squat. they are just babbling to keep their jobs. they are just babbling to try to make sense out of the times... they are just as scared, just as confused, just as puzzled as we are.... and yet, here is this man, Barack Obama, who gives not only the U.S. (minus the right wingers), but most of this world some kinda of HOPE that is as real as HOPE gets... it's not a joke... it's the real thing.

Let's just HOPE his wisdom will sustain our HOPES... there is little left on the table to choose from at this point. Listen to our instinct and hang on to it.

Nazz

Post by Nazz » October 10th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Look guys, I'll probably catch a little hell for this, but I thought the award to be a bit bizarre (so did he, apparently). Obama may well be Nobel material, but I don't think he's earned the award in his few months on the world stage. No way. He's failed to pull troops out of America's imperial war of choice in Iraq, while escalating the Afghan war. Now we're again hearing weekly reports of young kids blown up by IED's. Lovely. I'm not going to get into whether this new escalation is justified or not, but suffice to say, the jury is definitely still out on it. And Obama. And I'm quite disappointed in his relatively weak effort in pushing health care reform. To me, it's seemed more like a token effort than anything else-- lip service, essentially. I haven't given up on Obama, but man, he has to start showing me a little fire of conviction to go along with his oration. And no, the fact that he's "not the next Dubya" is not sufficient merit.

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » October 10th, 2009, 3:25 pm

I have a lot of issues with him Nazz. Ethanol for example 2,500 gallons of fresh water used to produce two and a half gallons of ehtanol. Of course the water is recycled. With a tad bit of pesticide residue. And we are looking for water on the moon? Clean coal energy for another example. He supports that too. Illinois a coal state and a corn state. What's a politician to do. Yes I thought the award was bizzare too. I thought it would have been a classy thing for him to turn it down. But he is smarter and shrewder than me. I can only hope it will do some good

For years I thought the saying from Dickens was "Live in hope and die in despair" but it is "live in hope or die in despair."

So I hope it does some good.
I don't think he deserved it either.
I don't know who deserves it this year.

I still would vote for Obama again and again.
A good man for an impossible job
I wish him well
I wish us all well

Mr Obama's war.

George W. who?
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

Nazz

Post by Nazz » October 10th, 2009, 3:33 pm

jackofnightmares wrote:A good man for an impossible job
I wish him well
I wish us all well
Much truth there.
And humanity has reached such "critical mass" on this planet, and (increasingly) bought into the capitalistic/consumption/"free market"/corporate paradigm of survival, that who can stand up against such a machine without meeting a fate similar to JFK? My mind is just wandering today.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » October 10th, 2009, 4:32 pm

WHAT HE "STANDS FOR"?!

Bombing inocent womyn n chiddrins in Afgan-ipak? Multinatn'l capitulism to bankers?

How is Obamas bitern bush?

His name aint bush but 's policiees IS.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Nazz

Post by Nazz » October 10th, 2009, 4:37 pm

mr. dog, the taliban been doin' some shit too, not just red/white/bleu.

and O'bama didn't start the iraq land grab.

I don't think it's "His Fault" necessarily. Just the power structure and simple economics of bazillions.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 10th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Bolivian Vice President Alvaro Garcia Linera said that he celebrates the awarding of the prize to Obama for “having done so much for the rights of Americans” but regretted that he is “a prisoner of the imperial machinery.” From all that I listened from latinamerican gobernantes, the last statement is the one with wich I agreed most.
About the "american values thing", well I start getting a little thrilled when somebody (from USA, mi country or any other point of the planet) start talking about "Values" and at the same time start messing too much with nationality, History, class, gender, generation, religion, politics or whatever concepts at hand: it never ends well :roll:
I wouldn´t want to be in Obama´s shoes right now... I wish him
clear vision, resilience, audacity, missile-proof humbliness, roots and a bit of luck! :wink:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 10th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Thanks Arcadia
I can't tell you how helpful your post was to me. Very articulate. What I been trying beat around the bush saying.
“having done so much for the rights of Americans” but regretted that he is “a prisoner of the imperial machinery.”

What Nietzsche was writing about I think.
start talking about "Values" and at the same time start messing too much with nationality, History, class, gender, generation, religion, politics or whatever concepts at hand: it never ends well

I wish him
clear vision, resilience, audacity, missile-proof humbliness, roots and a bit of luck
8) :D gracias amiga on behalf of all us yankees

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 11th, 2009, 1:33 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GMJuEOaF84o&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GMJuEOaF84o&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » October 11th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Doreen, thank you for posting this.
H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 11th, 2009, 4:46 pm

That was great
Thank you
I feel much better
She put it perspective for me
"Obama Derangement Syndrome"

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 11th, 2009, 7:02 pm

a maybe little rough article about Obama and the nobel prize thing today in pagina/12. But it has some interesting takes. See:

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/elmun ... 10-11.html

e_dog

Post by e_dog » October 11th, 2009, 8:13 pm

prisoner of imperial machine, my foot.

Obama is commdeer in cheif. He's running the machine.

He inherited the war, true but he coulda ended it right quick. he didn't. hence, he's a murderer. QED.

Stop makin' excuses for imp-erealisme.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 12th, 2009, 10:13 pm

prisoner of imperial machine, my foot. : wow!

maybe you´re right saying that e_dog! but you´re not the vicepresident of Bolivia...! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”