molecular prose

Go ahead. Talk about it.
stilltrucking

molecular prose

Post by stilltrucking » April 22nd, 2017, 12:53 pm

he was a trapeze artists juggling his molecular inspirations RE: "Essentials of Spontaneous Prose" (1959)
Jack Kerouac

Just thinking about the fact that I have lived forty years longer than he did and what have I done with my muse?

mnaz

Re: molecular prose

Post by mnaz » April 23rd, 2017, 11:33 am

I just finished Desolation Angels. Parts of it are the best of pure Kerouac genius, but man does he get sour at the end (even as he's about to read his just-published On the Road). The events are 1957, but he must've written the ending of this book years later than that..

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 23rd, 2017, 12:53 pm

I also heard that part of his genius, or at least effectiveness in storytelling, was his ability to remember so much of all those conversations he was a part of, to recall all those details and get them down on "the page."

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 23rd, 2017, 4:09 pm

"memory babe"
there is a downside for memory
at least for me
to remember bits and pieces of conversations you have had with people that they no longer remember. A lost kind of feeling, reminds me of a john prine lyric "strangers had forced him to live in his head" It is a brave new world of miracacle molecules that can brain wash us and hang us out to dry. The memory molecule, PKMzeta

I have learned to have compassion for saints, that is how I see him for all the darkness at the end and I envy him his daughter may she rest in peace

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 23rd, 2017, 7:56 pm

Yes.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 23rd, 2017, 9:21 pm

Molecules slosh around in my brain like tiny bubbles of text that pop up here.

From a review of Desolation Angels, NYTIMES 1965 A Line Must be Drawn
To put it another way: nothing changes, or has changed. Aging, Kerouac grows younger. The prose still leaps up and down, overjoyed to be itself; the boys and girls arrive and depart with inexhaustible energy; everything dissolves in the everlasting sea of confusion. At no time does Kerouac exult more than when he strikes a particularly infelicitous chord. If only he were putting us on; but no, he is beyond compare the most sincere writer we have.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 25th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Well, he was a polarizing writer for sure. I actually read this review last week when I was googlin' around, and it's pretty clear that the reviewer had an agenda-- (mostly) against the style and to some extent, content. Not sure how "fair" that is. Yes, most of Jack's work could have used more cutting/editing-- you have to wade a lot sometimes to get to the brilliance. And he probably used too many dashes in this book, to stitch together all his run-on ruminations. But I think the so-called "line to be drawn" referred to here is pretty self-serving to the reviewer's bias ...

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » April 26th, 2017, 9:27 am

"How come she has two poles and I only got one" carrie fisher from geezer memory?
Not to coin a cliche but maybe sometimes the polarity is in the eyes of the beholder. Crazy Jack said that.
I remember once on litkicks someone bitched because mtmynd was left hanging on a thread, not that it probably bother him at all.

I feel the same way when I see mnaz as the last person to reply. Been a good morning my first stop here was haiku. thought to myself if I can just write one ku today I will get off easy on studio eight. But then I noticed this thread left unanswered for a couple of days . . .so

what's speaking here what is the molecular substance of these pixel words?

Jack should have got a bike, I think his daughter would have loved that. What was it I wrote about the "Baby Driver" and Jan Kerouac, something about Ἰφιγένεια.
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 27th, 2017, 12:57 am

I have a bike, and I'm going to start riding again. The thing has just been lying around in the basement for eight years now- what good is that? Not only that, but I'm moving south to a town that just built a bunch of bike trails and the weather is ride-able without foul weather gear for more than 3 or (maybe) 4 months a year (though I realize that "ride-able" is kind of a state of mind...)

Return to “General Discussion”