How do you want to die?

1. Suddenly
2. In Your Own Bed
3. Slowly
4. In Your Sleep
5. Violently
6. Other

-----

"I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens."--Woody Allen
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 3rd, 2006, 5:51 pm

I chose 'in my sleep' (like someone else did).

But that is how (today, anyway) I'd want to die may be far different from how I need to die. That could be way stranger than fiction. :lol:

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 3rd, 2006, 6:06 pm

In someone else's bed. ;)

Artguy

Post by Artguy » February 3rd, 2006, 7:09 pm

After having an experience back in November that should have taken me, and I still ask myself every day why it did'nt, I think I have come to know the suddenness of the possibility of death, or at least the possibility of a sudden death... and it seems as good a way as any....that suddenness also contained an element of violence.....

Axanderdeath

Post by Axanderdeath » February 4th, 2006, 12:55 am

sudenly could be good--you would not know what hit you type thing...

in bed with a women would be nice too....

asleep after a nice long life would be nice...........

a long drug induced euphoric death--nice vissuals and shit--could be nice....

and not dieing at all would be nice.....

they all could not be nice to, and All I can say is I want to die in a nice and happy way with not too many regrets...
thus spoke G.A.P.

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » February 4th, 2006, 2:01 pm

if i get sick, i think i'd like to be euthanized. if i stay healthy like this, then just let it come when it may. i like the notion of it creeping in slowly, over years, the whispers finally becoming audible.
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 4th, 2006, 3:07 pm

"I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens."--Woody Allen
I like the end of Legends Of The Fall, where it shows him fighting the grizzly at the end. His Indian friend is narrating the scene and he says,” He died a good death.” I always felt that was a good death, to be so involved in what you were doing that you did not even notice death. Most of all though I think I would like to die rich. Leave enough dough for my friends to hold the mother of all wakes for me.
in bed with a women would be nice too....
Like Nelson Rockefeller and his secretary. A heart attack on the upstroke and a free ride down. The young woman was so traumatized they had to give her a couple hundred million to calm her nerves.

But that is how (today, anyway) I'd want to die may be far different from how I need to die. That could be way stranger than fiction.
Good answer Cecil. Solon was called the wisest man in the world. He died one day while walking on a beach. A pelican was flying over his head with a turtle in its beak. and dropped it on Solon’s head and killed him

The last place I would choose to die would be indoors. I want to be outside, on a beach, a mountain, the desert; I want to be under the sky, the moon and stars. Let my chindi.escape.to the void and do no harm.

http://www.hyattcarter.com/Death_or_.htm

Judge no man happy until he is dead. Solon

In a familiar story, told by Herodotus, after the king Croesus had shown to the visiting sage, Solon, a great wealth of royal treasures, and of evidences of his, the king’s own happiness, and had eagerly asked him: “Tell me, Solon: am I, Croesus, not happy?” Solon answered wisely, but disappointingly: “I call no man happy until he is dead.”
The well known continuation of the tale shows what Solon meant by this seemingly so unpromising answer. The answer was, namely, that you have to judge a man’s happiness by the whole drama of his life. Croesus, the now rich and great king, may some day be the bound captive in a conqueror’s power, waiting for his coming death; and he may then be heard crying out: “O Solon, Solon, thou hast spoken well.” Moreover, as the sage also teaches, only the gods know the whole drama of man’s life, and are aware of its really final ending and meaning
http://www.thoemmes.com/american/royce/2lecture5.htm

GA The question is how sick, and who determines that?

Good question clay, obiviously I been putting way too much thought into this subject.

Scootertrash

Post by Scootertrash » February 5th, 2006, 5:55 am

Oh, I wanna be torn apart and devoured by wild ferocious Grizzly Bears in Alaska while I'm telling them "I love you Mr. Bear, I love you"
Check One:
_Yes, I would like to receive information on Nigerian Oil Investments
_Yes, I would like to receive information on pyramid and triangle-based investment opportunities

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 5th, 2006, 6:34 am

Yeah I can see you have never seen that movie. You ought to check it out scoot. There is another movie called The Vikings. Kirk Douglas is being thrown into a pit of snarling raging wolves. But as he lands at the bottom of the pit they throw him a sword. He was a very happy camper. I joined a Quaker meeting in 1976 after I got back east from my adventure in Astoria. I have left a trail of blood from Baltimore to Astoria, most of my own but not all. Violence is not my second nature. It is my first love.

"I love you Mr. Bear, I love you"
I would have said Miss Bear myself

But different strokes for different folks.

Scootertrash

Post by Scootertrash » February 5th, 2006, 8:23 am

stilltrucking wrote:Yeah I can see you have never seen that movie. You ought to check it out scoot. There is another movie called The Vikings. Kirk Douglas is being thrown into a pit of snarling raging wolves. But as he lands at the bottom of the pit they throw him a sword. .
Yeah, I remember that one, Jackson. Saw it at a Drive-in with some cousins when it came out. I was prolly 9 or 10 and it really made an impression on me. Those Vikings knew how to die. Jumping into the pit with wolves when yr a worn out one eyed old gackster and looking like you're having way to much fun doing it.

Seems I recall those wacky wayout Vikings also staked someone down to a rock, a pretty girl perhaps. Yeah, just chained her down flat on her back to let the tide rise, but with the tide came lots of Crabs. I'm sure Kirk came along at the nick of time to do her right and probably get some righteous Nordic lovin' for his efforts.

And those funerals!. Whoa!...just lay ya on the boat, light her up, and you're sailing to Valhalla first class!
Check One:
_Yes, I would like to receive information on Nigerian Oil Investments
_Yes, I would like to receive information on pyramid and triangle-based investment opportunities

microbe

Post by microbe » February 5th, 2006, 8:44 am

Woody Allen also said:-
I don't want to achieve immortality because of my work. I want to achieve immortality by not dying

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » February 5th, 2006, 9:31 am

I've always had a fascination with the Saxon/Nordic ideal of a Warrior's Death. It was said that one dying a Warrior's Death felt no pain, only elation.

If we die today, I'll meet you in Valhalla where the brave live forever :)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 5th, 2006, 10:21 am

In someone else's bed.
"I'd like to be laid on a bed of frozen raspberries."
"Philip Zenshin Ryufu Whalen 1923 - 2002 : An Obituary. (It's a form all writers might try their hand at, beginning with their own.)"

Mars I just liked the movie, I do not think I would like to die trying to kill another human being. But I dam sure spent a long sleepness night in Astoria Oregon thinking about how to murder someone. I never even thought about the possibility of getting away with it. I figured I would get caught. I was not thinking about some manly battle mano on mano (sorry I don't know the Spanish) It was more like how to do it quick and not get hurt doing it. I was thinking along the lines of killing him while he slept. SOrry I have not checked out the links yet.

Finally I just figured I got what I had coming, it was just karma so I said fuck it. Time to move on.

added later

I checked out the links, not sure what your point is. I appologize for the Quaker propaganda. Have you ever read God Bless You Mr. Rosewater? The bit where he bayonets the 14 year old German fireman because he thought the guy was a soldier. Just a work of fiction but a lot of Vonnegut's stuff about war is probably based on actual events. Slaughter House Five dam sure is. Do you know that book also has a second title, The Children's Crusade, A Duty Dance With Death.

I like the bit where Rosewater says art has failed me.
Last edited by stilltrucking on February 5th, 2006, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 5th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Marksman45 I am so sorry.

For me the problem is anger.
I think I have read the Illiad to many times.

The string got away from me. Have you ever noticed how religious old folks get when they get sick? Me I am living the Faith Of A Heretic. If I burn in hell, well so be it. I am determined to die my way, if the accident will. Which will be when I am about 140 years old and a jealous husband shots me.

Meanwhile I am trying to keep it low key. Not get hysterical about my little melodrama. Jimboloco, who maybe has had more experience with death then anyone here, calls me a melancholy putz.

I been thinking about the Navajo concept of the Chindi, the only people who do not have one are babies who die shortly after birth and old people who have lived a long full life. I am trying to lighten up here.

Do I sound like I am proud of that sleepless night in Astoria? I hope not. About four years after that I worked with a guy who jumped up and hit me upside the head because he did not like the way I was talking to him. We were unloading potato salad, hundreds of boxes of it there was about eight different kinds. Mustard, German, Old fashion... When we were done we come up one short of German and one over on mustard, I was lead driver and I told him to forget about it because we were running late but he kept fucking with it trying to find the mistake. Finally I yelled at him to stop and then he hit me upside the head. I very calmly told him not to do that again. I did not threaten him. Just told him not to do that again. I called my company and told them to get the guy off the truck because if he hit me again I was going to kill him. I don't think they believed me. But I was serious as a fart in a space suit. So much for being a Quaker. Later the guy told the other drivers that I was crying and begged him not to hit me again. :lol:

I know you were not speaking of war. Just the fantasy of warriors. I read Prince Valiant religiously every Sunday. Keep on keeping on beautiful brother
Clay sorry for the digression It reminds me of a Waylon Jennings song, "they got to tell their story before they die." I think I should take a break here until I get a grip on myself

Karma to burn, maybe that is what a chindi is, left over karma with no place to go. I know one thing, it don't matter so much how I die, just so I stay dead. I don't want no truck with reincarnation. Jitterbug is the closest person I know who might accurately be called a Christian, even though he never calls himself that, he is "kind as summer." He and his wife read the bible cover to cover every year. He believes in eternal life. "Peter would have never gotten wet if he had kept the faith." We don't talk about religion, he don't try to convert me and I don't feel the need to attack his faith.

geezus I can't seem to stop typing.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » February 5th, 2006, 11:21 pm

'sokay Stilltruckin'
I was talking about war in a highly metaphorical sense... These days I think almost entirely in metaphor

(the links aren't related to the post; they're just in my signature)

Return to “General Discussion”