Internet observation(s), admission

Go ahead. Talk about it.
XPress

Post by XPress » March 10th, 2009, 12:47 pm

doreen peri wrote: Our troll used to put people's faces on donkeys, call me a whore and a slut and other ugly stuff that I don't care to remember, make sexual and violent references to the family members of our memberlist and way way worse. He trashed the place and got people very upset.
So, sort of like homophobic, and racist comments to members, lying about them, distorting their words, and insulting them?

To me that isn't quite covered by the description that someone is "just a strongly opinionated person who has a style of debating that ignores the posts of others and also misjudges them.", but hey, I won't labor the point.

I said my peice, and am not driven by a compulsion for last words :P

Nazz

Post by Nazz » March 10th, 2009, 12:49 pm

I never said he was a troll, L-Rod.

Ok, this thread is obviously a carryover from the other one, but it also outlines a few general observations about net dialogue as well. There is some useful content here, I think.
Last edited by Nazz on March 10th, 2009, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 10th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Tony just likes to win.

I got no problem with tony

Whatever I got I brought on my self

Life is like that for me.

But I have had some moments of grace

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » March 10th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Nazz wrote:I never said he was a troll, L-Rod.

Ok, this thread is obviously a carryover from the other one, but it also outlines a few general observations about net dialogue as well. There is some useful content here, I think.
I was agreeing with you, mark
I know you never said he was a troll
but I thought you addressed the troll issue well
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

XPress

Post by XPress » March 10th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Nazz wrote:I never said he was a troll.
Just when I'd said I'd have my last word...

Now see how Nazz deliberately makes me look bad, by dragging me back into the thread! :P (j/k)

No, I vouch for that, you never said he was a troll, and tbh I wasn't saying he was at first either, I was attempting to widen the discussion to include trolls, and other anti-social types, but, when it was raised I felt inclined to indicate it was my personal view, based on the defenitions I've given, and that I'd actually held the view prior to this thread being started, when I'd checked his back posts, and seen they were all political, and non-arts based, and when he'd refused to clarify his political position, and when he'd resorted to his racist and homophobic comments, etc.

Using a defenition, similar to LR's it sent my spider-senses tingling, the guy was clearly not here to particpate in an artistic sense, but to push political views, and views that were latching on to 'populist' issues, that might be accepted here, but were clearly motivated from far left (or far right) field, as he was unwilling to admit to his own political motivations.

As I said, I don't wish to labor the point though, I've said my peice, and I only returned to the thread to clarify what I'd said, and to vouch for the fact that Nazz never indicated he felt Tony was a troll.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » March 10th, 2009, 1:00 pm

we have a member named Mr. Troll
he's not really a troll, I eat mexican food with him in person

I suppose you could categorize our own stilltrucking et al as a troll because of the handpuppets, but I don't call that trolling, I call it being inventive.

tonyc is someone that I invited to this site. I rarely agree with his opinions, but he is usually respectful and intelligent in his expression of them.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 10th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Sorry, had to go to a meeting.

Danny, I admit I didn't read all the posts in tis thread. It's possible I missed something. But from what I read, I just saw it as Tony has a style where he doesn't really read/listen to the others as well as he could, is adamant about his point, lumps people into categories, labels people who don't have the exact same opinion as his, plus gets angry and demonstrative. I'm not saying that I think all these aspects of his conversational style are easy to deal with. But I don't think that his purpose here was to be homophobic or racist or to rile everybody up by insulting them. I really thought his purpose was to state his adamant belief that Bush should be held accountable for crimes. Unfortunately, since I don't think he listens/reads the opinions of others very thoroughly or even cares what other people think, he seems to label anybody who's trying to debate with him rationally as against him. And true enough, some of those labels weren't very nice. He could definitely learn how to debate and respect people and listen to them without getting angry and putting others down.

Very very very different from the troll I described who would state he wanted to screw and murder people's mothers and preached Hitleresque Naziism, personalizing his posts with threats to commit bodily harm and worse.

Maybe I'm wrong and Tony's whole purpose was to rile up the community which is, by definition, what an internet troll does. But it's my opinion that this is not the case. I think he just has a short temper, doesn't care about other people's opinions, and is emotionally caught up in his cause .... that being holding Bush accountable.

tonyc

Post by tonyc » March 10th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Sorry if I'm rough on your kids there, doreen and Rod, but if the boys read my responses, they would see that I'm using their own words against them. I've never called anybody anything, I interpreted what they attacked me with, and applied it to them (kinda cute huh?)

doreen
Ijust saw it as Tony has a style where he doesn't really read/listen to the others as well as he could, is adamant about his point, lumps people into categories, labels people who don't have the exact same opinion as his, plus gets angry and demonstrative.
Ah shucks, you got me blushing, thanks for the compliment.
I think he just has a short temper, doesn't care about other people's opinions, and is emotionally caught up in his cause ....
There you go again, thanks for the flowers

OK, I promise to make an attempt at being a good boy and not pick on the kids, but hell, I don't have anything better to do :roll: :cry:
I'm a one dimensional, one man, internet hate machine.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 10th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Sorry, Tony... not trying to insult you or anything. I'm just expressing my opinion that you are not a troll... that you really care about your cause ... and that you are emotionally involved in your cause.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 10th, 2009, 3:55 pm

PS ... I really do think if you read/listened better, you would have seen in that other thread that those who were participating on the thread actually agreed with you that Bush should be held accountable....for the most part. The varying difference of opinions were minimal. I don't understand why it turned into an out and out war between you all. Totally unnecessary, in my opinion.

It was when the name calling got mixed up in the discussion that the whole discussion got screwed up. I wish you all would just be nice to each other.

lol

i'm a big fan of "nice"!

tonyc

Post by tonyc » March 10th, 2009, 4:10 pm

doreen peri
Sorry, Tony... not trying to insult you or anything.
I know, I was serious, I think what you said about me was true, and I'm dam proud of it!!
I don't understand why it turned into an out and out war between you all.
Kinda weird, but that happens in every forum on the net, except it usually get alot uglier. Maybe sub consciously, I'm anti social ....I did used to get in alot of fights back in my school days..
I do admit, I'm narrowed minded, self centered, short tempered and rude...but hell, nobodys perfect.
Ok...peace out...got to take my dog for a walk.
Last edited by tonyc on March 10th, 2009, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XPress

Post by XPress » March 10th, 2009, 4:10 pm

doreen peri wrote:Unfortunately, since I don't think he listens/reads the opinions of others very thoroughly or even cares what other people think, he seems to label anybody who's trying to debate with him rationally as against him. And true enough, some of those labels weren't very nice.
I did say I'd made my last comment, and here I am again... (which does bring back into focus the earlier point about when to leave a thread lol), but I'm sorry Doreen, I just can't see homophobic comments, and lying about people, for example, as labeling someone as being 'against' him.

XPress

Post by XPress » March 10th, 2009, 4:13 pm

tonyc wrote:Sorry if I'm rough on your kids there, doreen and Rod, but if the boys read my responses, they would see that I'm using their own words against them. I've never called anybody anything, I interpreted what they attacked me with, and applied it to them (kinda cute huh?)
A perfect example of Tony's compulsion to lie, distort, and insult.

He knows the above statement to be completely false, but makes it to try and play the role of the victim, and to claim others were attacking him, and therefore he was justified in his anti-social behaviour, however, it's simply not true, no one, at anytime, made comments about his age, his sexuality, or his race, yet these were all things he brought up to attack other people with.

tonyc

Post by tonyc » March 10th, 2009, 4:14 pm

XPress
I just can't see homophobic comments, and lying about people, for example, as labeling someone as being 'against' him.
Look , you boys brough up why don't I be a nice "singing, dancing, regular guy"
I merely commented that sounds queer...
Interpret it as you wish, they where your words, not mine.
You really need to quit, trust me, you're digging a hole you can't climb out of.

XPress

Post by XPress » March 10th, 2009, 4:18 pm

tonyc wrote:Sorry if I'm rough on your kids there
BTW. Tony, just to give you a little reality check, because your claims of "victory" are very borish, you made such a fool of yourself, and made such a poor argument for yourself, it lead to your thread being abandoned, and a second thread being openned, so you didn't "win" anything, you "lost" everything, most notably respect, and credability, and made yourself look rather ignorant, and incapable of debate.

Maybe everyone was a little to "rough" on you?

Return to “General Discussion”