"Cool Hand Barack"

Go ahead. Talk about it.
mtmynd

Re: "Cool Hand Barack"

Post by mtmynd » May 4th, 2011, 6:42 pm

i'm watching the news and a short while ago it was reported by MSNBC (w/pic and such) that Faux News is reporting the the liberals are upset by the cheers the crowds at the places we spoke about were chanting. Odd that it is said that liberals dislike the celebrating when (i believe) the majority celebrating are liberals (or supporters of Obama).

but in regards to your comment, I stress that we will always have extremes chanting off in their own world (blather) but to isolate those few and suggest that they were the majority is unfair, IMVHO, of course.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » May 4th, 2011, 7:00 pm

i'm not suggesting that steve's comments are majority or minority. i'm calling them out. i find them callous and insulting. nothing gives us the right to invade and occupy the middle east for its oil, as he clearly suggested. wrongo. are we still stuck in the dark ages?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 4th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Norway is nice this time of year.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 4th, 2011, 7:33 pm

I don't care either. Osama is dead, okay great we got him. Let's all feel good about that. So? Where is my peace dividend?

I hope it is a comfort to the families that lost loved ones to Osama. In the meantime george w bush killed over a million people. Where is the comfort for their families I wonder.
Last edited by stilltrucking on May 4th, 2011, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » May 4th, 2011, 7:46 pm

sorry, no dividend, no rest for the "lone superpower"...
you know, project for a new american century and all that.

we hold these truths self-evident
the new empire of of mono-culture
pray for the cleansing blood of capital
pray for the atonement of markets
our salvation, spirit and dream

we lurk in icy black depths of fear
with devices to blow nerves of steel
we cross steel-crushed ocean foam
clutch our more efficient weapons
mutter, freedom, sweet freedom

in the end, drawn to the word
our way of life threatened by shadows
always by shadows, by sinister unseen
always another campaign
always unfinished work

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 4th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Another day another empire
Look on my works ye mighty and despair

"We are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to," Obama said.
It would be pretty to think so .
What can we set our minds to do next?

mnaz wrote:
always by shadows, by sinister unseen
always another campaign
always unfinished work
Yes Satan is dead. long live Satan

http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21552

The whole thing with the celebrations reminds me of people who gather outside a prision to cheer an execution.

I try to put myself into the shoes of the people who lost loved ones on September 11. . I hope his death brings them some closure, consolation, and comfort.

Cecil, you are quoting the Bible as justification?
Wow.

Yes I guess you are right. America is the new holy land, we are the new chosen people of G d.
Attachments
hesterbanner.jpg

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 5th, 2011, 1:48 am

Cecil, you are quoting the Bible as justification?

No.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 5th, 2011, 8:45 am

I was wondering.

Thanks again for posting that video. It was like a reality check for me. Made me appreciate Obama again.

Amazing to watch Bush, the smirks, the shrugs, the blank looks, he puts on quite a show for the authors of Blink to watch.

What amazes me Cecil is people who profess a belief in Jesus Christ and yet can sound so blood thirsty for revenge.

Well I read a headline this morning that said:
White House Goes Silent on Alleged Osama Bin Laden Killing

enough said
But

Watch out for them strange women amigo.
"To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words;" Proverbs

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 5th, 2011, 9:05 am

"What amazes me Cecil is people who profess a belief in Jesus Christ and yet can sound so blood thirsty for revenge."

Therein lies the problem... belief in Jesus (the) Christ, but little faith in their Self... unlike Jesus who KNEW his Self as did many wise people before and since.

Bloodthirsty is an easy path... there are plenty of examples to go by... so many it must be good, eh? :lol:

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » May 5th, 2011, 9:27 am

I never use enough emoticons
Good?
ten four maestro
even better than ham. :wink:
reminds me of the priest who asked the rabbi if he ever ate ham. the rabbi answered truthfuly and then asked the priest if he had ever made love to a woman and the priest told the truth too. So the rabbi says "Better than ham isn't it?"

George Fox the old quacker used to go around 17 century England ranting and raving about "professors" Asking:

"You will say Christ saith this, and the apostles say this, but what canst thou say?"
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 5th, 2011, 12:51 pm

"You will say Christ saith this, and the apostles say this, but what canst thou say?"

I wonder if that statement was referred to as 'Fox News'..??? :wink;wink:

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 5th, 2011, 11:14 pm

stilltrucking wrote:I don't care either. Osama is dead, okay great we got him. Let's all feel good about that. So? Where is my peace dividend?

I hope it is a comfort to the families that lost loved ones to Osama. In the meantime george w bush killed over a million people. Where is the comfort for their families I wonder.
Good question. Straight to the point.

And Obama's killing more in Iraq and Afghanistan and Libya.

Kill kill kill! Wheeeeeee! What fun!

short timer

Post by short timer » May 6th, 2011, 2:09 am

RE mnaz's poem "now that he is dead"
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21552

That poem and Joel's reply makes me want to celebrate and I feel weird about that. The only good thing that comes out of the story is that I found a poem that I enjoyed reading no matter what the content.

I wonder does that make me an effete snob?

Celebrating a Death: Ugly, Maybe, but Only Human

"It was appropriate to go after Bin Laden, just to try to cut the head off that serpent, but I don’t think it’s decent to celebrate a killing like that,” said George Horwitz, a retired meat cutter and Army veteran in Bynum, N.C.

Others were much more critical. “The worst kind of jingoistic hubris,” a University of Virginia student wrote in the college newspaper, The Cavalier Daily. In blogs and online forums, some people asked: Doesn’t taking revenge and glorying in it make us look just like the terrorists?

The answer is no, social scientists say: it makes us look like human beings. In an array of research, both inside laboratories and out in the world, psychologists have shown that the appetite for revenge is a sensitive measure of how a society perceives both the seriousness of a crime and any larger threat that its perpetrator may pose.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/06/healt ... ge.html?hp
Beyond Revenge

Abstract

Reviews the book, "Beyond revenge: the evolution of the forgiveness instinct" by Michael McCullough (2008). This book argues that revenge is not a disease and forgiveness the cure: both revenge and forgiveness are aspects of human nature, instinctual patterns of behavior that are context sensitive, and if we want to make the world a less vengeful, more forgiving place we need to make social environments less abundant in the factors that evoke the desire for revenge and more abundant in the factors that evoke the forgiveness instinct. The author sees forgiveness and revenge as two sides of the same coin, a coupled pair of instincts that have evolved as an evolutionarily stable strategy, a natural byproduct of an evolutionary winnowing process. Hence, the author highlights the key role the environment plays in shaping evolutionarily stable behavioral strategies. Also the relationship between forgiveness and revenge in the context of in-group and out-group classifications becomes clearer in this book. He also draws upon game theory simulations to argue that tit-for-tat strategies of cooperation and retaliation are critical for ensuring inclusive fitness in a group. Thus it is concluded that this book is a balanced approach to scientific analysis of the 'good' and the 'bad' in human nature and how it emerges.

http://www.mendeley.com/research/review ... -instinct/

Free Rice

http://www.landscaper.net/short.htm

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 6th, 2011, 10:37 am

Doesn’t taking revenge and glorying in it make us look just like the terrorists?

The answer is no, social scientists say: it makes us look like human beings.
What do we do with our fellow hu'mans who dislike their emotions when they contradict their minds insistence to be other than what we are..?

Thanks for these two posts, JT... excellent! they verify what I have been dealing with.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » May 6th, 2011, 11:22 am

What do we do with our fellow hu'mans who dislike their emotions when they contradict their minds insistence to be other than what we are..?
Sittin' here with a cup of the mornin' brew. Got the window open and watchin' the sun about to clear the trees. Gonna be a right fine day, Cecil, right fine. 8)
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

Return to “General Discussion”