Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Go ahead. Talk about it.
saw

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Post by saw » August 12th, 2011, 3:10 pm

yes Molly Ivins was a treasure......at least you still have Jim Hightower.....

I'll never forget this book tour debate with Molly Ivins, Al Franken, and Bill O'Reilly,

man , did molly and franken have him flustered.....he couldn't cut their microphones off like he does on The Factor......it was great !
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 12th, 2011, 5:55 pm

JT: "I hope you are right about Obama kicking Rick Perry's ass."

I hope I'm right, too. If Corporate America likes Perry, he'll probably win... but Perry is a tad freaky, even for a lot of (R)'s... it's that fundamentalist side that could worry folks.
Last edited by mtmynd on August 16th, 2011, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 12th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Do you think Texas will secede from the union if Perry loses?
Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union But Probably Won't
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04 ... z1UrnSKTyF

Is there no one the man will not pander to?
Who am I too judge him, he is probably right about God calling him to be president what makes me so cynical?
“It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side”
Molly Ivins quotes

How Rick Perry created the "Texas Miracle"

Perry calls his formula simple. "This isn't rocket science," he once said. "You keep the taxes relatively low, you have a regulatory climate that is fair."

But Perry also got lucky when high oil prices boosted energy-related jobs. His critics point to another figure: Texas' high unemployment rate at 8.2 percent is one point below the national rate that is daunting President Obama.

Perry's bedrock pledge to never raise taxes also had a reckoning this year, when his budget faced a $27-billion shortfall. With taxes not an option, Texas cut deeply into health care and so deeply into education, some 49,000 teachers are being laid off.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/ ... 1874.shtml

Code: Select all

According to statistics from the Federal Reserve and Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas created 262,000 new jobs between June 2009 and June 2011 -- half the nation's 524,000 payroll gains. But according to the BLS, many of those were minimum wage jobs, as the number of minimum wage workers in Texas rose from 221,000 in 2007 to 550,000 in 2010. And while Texas has created 1.2 million jobs during Perry's tenure, the state population has grown by 4.3 million. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20091686-503544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
Ahgg
On some mystical quantum level it all makes sense, it will all work out
I tell myself, be not frightened, this too shall pass. But you know these are still my good old days, and they will pass too along with the bad.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 14th, 2011, 10:08 am

• Naturally, when it comes to voting, we in Texas are accustomed to discerning that fine hair's-breadth worth of difference that makes one hopeless dipstick slightly less awful than the other. But it does raise the question: Why bother? Molly Ivins
I don't know what happened to the the Texas of Barbara Jordon and Ralph Yarborough but I do feel like my vote is meaningless these days.

I suppose it is ignorant for me to blame Obama for Michelle Bachman but I keep on hoping for him to take on the wackos in the Republican party.

By being so nice he just encourages them it seems to me.

I may switch my voter registration to Republican so I can vote for in the primary. You know three years ago I was praying for Obama's safety, I was afraid he would be assassinated all the Lincolnesque comparisons were making me nervous.

Well she won in Iowa, I may have to leave the country till the election is over. I am obsessing on it again.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » August 15th, 2011, 10:33 pm

lots of thought-provoking observations in this thread.

as for the peace prize, call me silly, but i always thought it should go to someone who is, you know, um ... peaceful? maybe it's just me.

Return to “General Discussion”