About the Litkicks Book Action Poetry

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Les S. Amore

Post by Les S. Amore » November 22nd, 2004, 11:27 pm

Hester,
I don't know why an obviously talented and voluptuous lounge singer (the highest artform) should worry about not being represented in a flimsy book that nobody but the authors will read anyway.
va va voom

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » November 23rd, 2004, 1:39 am

I know.
I've said from the beginning that I didn't have an investment in being in the book.
You understand me perfectly.
Tanks Les, you is more for sure!
H 8)

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » November 23rd, 2004, 2:09 am

As is usual with me lately, I seem to be getting in on the conversation after it's done gone, but here I am ...

Hester, the book's $25.00! That's about three times what any similarly sized paperback would sell for on the open market. And you get a mandatory Frisbee. Don't kick yourself for not buying it.

Yes, I agree that the cover is an incredible trivialization and mockery of what the (former) Litkickers were attempting to do.

I don't have any grouchiness about Scootertrash being on the back cover. I think he's fine and it's a great picture.

I was miffed to discover that Hester was not included, Mnaz was not included, Beth Vieira was not included, and numerous others. There are a few pieces in there that are worth reading, but for the most part, this really doesn't represent your best efforts. You'd think the idea would be to showcase the Litkicks artists. If they look good, then Litkicks looks good ... right? I guess I didn't see how Levi was successful in doing that. My first impression was positive, but after having this around and reading from it for a few days, I think it is pretty unmemorable.

I wish I hadn't gotten it, but I wanted to show my support for Litkicks. At the time I plunked the money down, I still had high hopes that it would remain as I had known it, or improve.

Hester, you and I are on the same page when it comes to our analysis of why Levi's being so hard on our friend, Doreen. Doreen idenies that feeling "threatened" could have anything to do with it, but I see threat written all over his treatment of her recently -- masquerading as personal dislike. Either way, he's behaving childishly, and I am amazed that he cannot see it.

perezoso

Post by perezoso » November 23rd, 2004, 2:38 am

Miss Ab--

Yes, it is quite unethical that Hester and "Beth Vieiria" were not included in the LK book. It demonstrates not only poor editorial judgment but a callousness on the part of Levi Cashout. Beth V's writings were some of the best to be found on the LK poetry page. I haven't read it as of yet ( but did read the nominations in 11-12/03) , and I am wondering about other strong writers, such as Headburner or Rain70 (who every one liked to hate, but who creates some interesting quirky abstractions), or The Mingo, HolyGoof, or Illuminara's best pieces which were sort of romantic but kind of interesting sometimes, or the obscure but unique blueingreen.....SO ya oughta just scan it and put up on here ( let Levy get some cheap lawyer to deal with copyright violations) or send it to our emails or PMs, raht?

I get the sense you don't really know the history of flames or LK too well either ( you can connect the dots).

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » November 23rd, 2004, 4:24 am

No, I really don't know the history of it all. I got in on LK in the ninth hour -- about three months before the doors shut.

I don't consider the absence of B.V., Hester and the others unethical. They could have been excluded out of poor judgement or some of Levi's famous personal reasons. I can't see any marketing motivations in making the book mediocre, so it must have been something else at work.

On the other hand, perhaps this is all just whining. I did not participate in the creation of the book, and since I do not write poetry, I could not have been a contributor, so my criticizing it is a form of living room quarterbacking. I am a mildly disgruntled purchaser and that is it.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » November 23rd, 2004, 5:01 am

Twenty-five dollars!
Man, I didn't know it was that much!
Dang.
They sure as hell knew I couldn't afford to buy one!
heh.
wow...........
I uh, er, uh, whoa.
bing!
tawdry!?
(ain't that a cool word!? It just flashed through my mind without warning so I looked it up. Tawdry. "looking bright and attractive but in fact cheap and of low quality". )
My silly mind....
8)

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » November 23rd, 2004, 5:38 am

it's not 25 dollars -
it's 17.50, or 15.95 at amazon.

just for the record.

Scootertrash

Post by Scootertrash » November 23rd, 2004, 6:03 am

perezoso wrote:SO ya oughta just scan it and put up on here ( let Levy get some cheap lawyer to deal with copyright violations) or send it to our emails or PMs, raht?
If that's such a wonderful idea why don't you scan it and put it up here-you thought of it after all. Then you instead of Abcatz can get some cheap lawyer to deal with the copyright issue, raht?

Scootertrash

Post by Scootertrash » November 23rd, 2004, 6:12 am

perezoso wrote: other strong writers,..... such as the obscure but unique blueingreen.
Oh brother,...nothing like a little self promotion to pump up the old delusions of grandeur, eh sport? What a poser.

Now here's what "ya OUGHTA "do...

sit down on bed
take off wig and clown shoes
call police station
Put gun barrel in mouth

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 23rd, 2004, 9:14 am

I have a book which I charge $20 for because that's what it costs to produce it. It's about the same size as the LitKicks book.

The price for the LitKicks book - $17.50 - is a fair price and well worth it.

Since you don't have the $ right now, hest, I have your address now and will mail you one of my copies.

knip

Post by knip » November 23rd, 2004, 9:23 am

hey doreen!

i don't have any money...what do i get?

sorry...:)...just goofing

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 23rd, 2004, 9:35 am

hehe... LOL!

hey knip - I don't have any either.

I ask myself the same thing every day. ;)

perezoso

Post by perezoso » November 23rd, 2004, 12:23 pm

Hey Scootski the Psychopath:

What you ought to do is get on your Schwinn and pedal real fast before we find you and put you in Atascadero on a diet of Thorazine, little Manson wannabe. You can't quite realize this site, like Litkicks is for writers, not criminal deviant bums such as yourself, Scooper.

brooklyn

action poetry

Post by brooklyn » November 23rd, 2004, 2:39 pm

Well, I might as well get my turn to talk here.

First, I just want to speak for myself to say I'm really proud of the book. I like the cover (naturally, since I commissioned it and told the artist exactly what I wanted) and I like every poem, every story and every page in the book. If some people hate it, well, okay, then some people hate it. At least it's getting a strong reaction!

Now, on a personal level ...

First of all, Hester Prynne, you are in the book, since you were a contributor to the 24 Hour Poetry Party. One of the reasons I was glad to include the 24 Hour poem in the book is that it allowed us to represent a few writers like you, Hester, like Lucy, like Beth Veiera, who weren't in the other sections of the book. We did not want this book to make anybody feel excluded.

About Doreen and "the way I treated her" -- from my point of view, what happened is that during the first week of Oct Earth I told her privately that I had a serious problem with something she was doing, and that I thought she should take a break from posting for a while. I hoped the incident would end there. Instead, Doreen got very upset, told me I owed her an apology, and started bringing many other people into what I thought would be a private conversation. Eventually we got to the point where she said she would never post to LitKicks again, and I was annoyed and frustrated enough to happily accept her offer. Again, the last thing I ever want to do is make anybody feel excluded. Sometimes it happens without me wanting it to, but it is not an outcome I'm happy about.

That's it for that. I don't mind you all complaining about the book, as long as I get a chance to tell you all that I think it's a kickass work of original poetry, I'm proud of everybody's work in it, and I stand behind every decision we made on it. Oh yeah, and as for scootertrash's bearded buddy, all I can say is that we liked the way he looked on the back cover and we hope his expression captures the way the book will make some readers feel.

-- Levi

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 23rd, 2004, 2:41 pm

You're starting to sound like your old self, Mizzter Pere.

Is is something in the water where you live? :D

Why do you find it necessary to call people names? I don't get it. Do you get a kick out of it? Do you think it's funny? Seriously, do you?

I wish you wouldn't do that. I find it sorely lacking in good taste.

For the record, this site, is not a site for writers.

It's a site for artists of all genres. (and yes, that includes writers but it also includes musicians, actors, spoken word performers, dancers, humorists like Scootertrash, songwriters, visual artists, etc.)

We do have our occasional "criminal deviant bums", but Scootertrash is not one of them. :D

Return to “General Discussion”