Wading into the Tide.

Go ahead. Talk about it.
mnaz

Wading into the Tide.

Post by mnaz » February 20th, 2008, 12:11 am

Infinite, that is. Finally.

Diggin' on it. The artwork and photos are magnifique. The book is incredibly well done. Kudos, Doreen. I love the cover photograph-- reminds me of Lake Mead... My writing has gotten a little more volatile recently... good to read some of the older stuff... the genesis of this place... A fine project. Inspiring, really.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 20th, 2008, 2:28 am

I gave that copy to my sister, the painter; she loved the book. I need to order another copy...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 20th, 2008, 8:57 am

Just to pick one at random
this is the first one I read
page 193
it freed me for a few seconds
excerpt from
Colloquy of the Crows

The crows were flocking to garbage spewed around
wherever the tracks crossed one of the busier streets.

Fast food wrappers and beer cans with an
occasional cigarette pack thrown in. Just for
variety.

The crows tore through it all looking for the rare
french-fry or piece of burger bun. Their whole
lives were spent moving from one trash heap to
the next collecting sustenance by sifting through
all the shit people threw into their word.

He spent a lot of his time reading books by people
widely considered wise more than a century ago but
he was starting to wonder if it was just more shit to
sift through.

He threw a rock and the crows scattered to the
winds blown away from all they lived for by a
single pebble. The pebble was the key to become
a pebble . That was where the secrete lay.

They circled on the wind and immediately returned to
their trash; hard to destroy ideals deeply buried. For a
brief second he had set them free.

Jason Biehner

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 20th, 2008, 9:57 am

Thank you both! I'm very happy you're enjoying the book. Happy your sister has a copy, too, mnaz.

Your contributions were greatly appreciated.

Studio Eight is honored.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » February 20th, 2008, 9:22 pm

I witnessed how much work Doreen put into this book.
I am looking at a copy of it now. It is one of the six proof copies that Doreen had printed before she got everything to her satisfaction. It has editing marks on it.
She deserves a huge tip of our hats for being so diligent.

I'm a page person and she's a pixel person.
I look at the overview, she looks at the details.
Page people need pixel people.
(and Vice Versus)
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 20th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Say Clay is there a typo in this line?
I hate to mention it, I can imagine how much work went into the book. I just wondered if it is a typo maybe the next batch could be corrected.

Sorry I never proof read Cool Calm Colected, it was not coming out on my printer and I am a miser with ink. You know the difference betweetn a Jew and a Canoe?

I should PC that, the difference between a Scotsman and a Canoe?
A canoe tips.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 20th, 2008, 9:46 pm

stilltrucking wrote:Say Clay is there a typo in this line?
I hate to mention it, I can imagine how much work went into the book. I just wondered if it is a typo maybe the next batch could be corrected.

Sorry I never proof read Cool Calm Colected, it was not coming out on my printer and I am a miser with ink. You know the difference betweetn a Jew and a Canoe?

I should PC that, the difference between a Scotsman and a Canoe?
A canoe tips.
What are you quoting, 'trucking? Is there a typo in the book? If so, what page?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 20th, 2008, 10:12 pm

I done know Doreen
page 193
Colloquy of the Crows
The crows tore through it all looking for the rare
french-fry or piece of burger bun. Their whole
lives were spent moving from one trash heap to
the next collecting sustenance by sifting through
seems like it should read "into their world?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 20th, 2008, 10:15 pm

I love the poem, I read it three or four times, but I could be wrong, it might be my typo. I am in New Berlin I don;t have the book here.

Or maybe that is the word the author meant to use. It has interesting possibilities too.
I feel like a shitz for even mentioning it.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 20th, 2008, 10:47 pm

Further proof, you can't proof your own work. That piece was written by Jason Biehner (who posts as Shem here on Studio Eight). It is actually an excerpt from a longer prose piece he submitted. As editor, I selected the part I wanted to use since the piece was too long for the format of the book, and broke it into lines myself. As you noticed, I also broke some of your lines in different places than they originally were when you posted them because if they line went from all the way across the page, it wouldnt work in this book. But anyway, I missed it. Sounds like you are probably right. But since I haven't heard from Shem (I don't know if he owns the book or not), I don't know whether it's a typo or not. I must have read this entire book at least 50 times. No shit. Geez. I tried my best to make it as perfect as I could make it.

Apologies to Shem if I had a typo in his poem. Please let me know if it's a typo, Shem, and if so, I'll fix it.

And LIghtning Rod.. thanks very much for the kind words. I know you have a good copy of the book, not just a proof copy with marks on it because I gave it to you for Christmas. I didn't know you had one of the proof copies, also. Hold on to it. One day it may be a collector's item.

;)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 21st, 2008, 12:00 pm

page 12 & 13
facing pages
The juxtoposition so nice
and the picture by Norman Mallory
just a perfect layout

the two facing poems '
"delicately balanced"

a fine eye for layout
or maybe just serendiptious

I hope it sells a million
I am not much on marketing
I see a guy here who spammed about three thousand posts to various discussion boards asking them what they thought of a certain book.

How about a link off of litkicks, they say they are the place where literature lives on the net. Brooklyn asked us to link to litkicks once, if my geezer memory serves. Maybe he would help promote it.

I am just happy to have my copy.
I don't know where the money goes
Still going to buy Calm Cool and Collected soon.
still a kid giving it all away.
it takes a village.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 21st, 2008, 1:06 pm

truckin' - I'd go broke if I depended on being serendipitous. lol
I do page layout for a living. I get paid for it and everything.
Thanks very much. I'm glad you like the layout.

I doubt very greatly Litkicks would even entertain the idea to put a link to our book. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of asking them. YIKES! Nope!

I need to get it on Amazon.com. Which means I'm going to have to buy some copies to send to them I think. And I can't afford it right now. I can't even afford to send everybody who was published in the book a copy as much as I want to.

What guy where "spammed about three thousand posts to various discussion boards asking them what they thought of a certain book"? I won't do that, btw. Just curious what you're referring to.

What do you mean you don't know where the money goes?

I will explain again.

Most of the money goes to cafepress. That's how they make money. They sell books. A small fraction of it comes to us to run the site.

Approx $3.33 per copy goes to the S8 site. It costs $8 a month for hosting for our current host. For a year, I've been paying double hosting because I have the new site hosted on a different host service because we needed more space for the new concept.

Anyway, the site was launched in july 2004. Come july 2008, the total cost for hosting will have been $8 x 12 months x 4 years = $384. The cafepress store also costs money because I upgraded so I could put more than one book if I want. Their free package will only allow for one of each type of product. But that doesn't matter at the moment because there is only one book at the moment.

So anyway, to pay for 4 years of hosting, if you divide $384 hosting costs by $3.33 profit per book, we would have to sell 115 books. To date, we have sold approx 20 books which would have essentially reimbursed me for approx 8 months of hosting..... out of 4 years. But, as I said, I am paying for an upgraded shop at cafepress so I can put more than one book up there. Yeah, I registered for this prematurely but it is what it is. And all the profits S8 has made so far have gone back into pay for the store itself. I haven't received one penny.

It's not a money making venture. No doubt.

What did you mean by "still a kid giving it all away"? you mean you?

(btw, these figures exclude the number of books I've already purchased. I purchased 9 proofs. Or 10. Can't remember. And I purchased 10 books myself and gave them away as christmas presents to family and friends. I guess I could have given those 10 to the people who are in the book but then I wouldn't have been able to afford christmas presents.. lol!)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 21st, 2008, 1:17 pm

Doreen
What did you mean by "still a kid giving it all away"? you mean you?
Baby sister needed a computer and a printer, her birthday coming up, what's the sense of waiting when she needed it now.

Doreen
What do you mean you don't know where the money goes?
Damn my lack of clarity
I meant where my money goes.

Here AlexZellois the link I was talking about the three thousand posts. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 21st, 2008, 1:26 pm

oh whoops. Damn internet. I misinterpreted your question. Sorry. Maybe I should delete all that.

Looks like Alex Zello has only 1 post. I don't see 3000 posts.

I can't wait until my new glasses are ready. Seriously. I'm so used to wearing contact lenses but I screwed up my eyes somehow. Recurring infections. So now I'm wearing glasses to see far away but I need glasses to read. They're on order.

I have no clue whether they'll help with my reading comprehension but I've got my fingers crossed.. lol

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 21st, 2008, 1:56 pm

I don't know D
my writing does not help either
I remember trying to cheer some one up here when I posted something about a twelve year old kid who I saw on a PBS show called Water Planet. The kid was doing research on how to save the Chesapeak bay and she had some pretty good ideas. I was just trying to say that children are my only best hope
But the person I was posting took umbrage,, she thought I was saying she a grown woman was just a child. She really spit on me for being so patronizing and/or condensending to her. I appologized profusely for my sloopy writing but she was not of a mind to cut me any slack. Ah yes the net.

The three thousand hits are if you google the first sentence of the AZello post, you see about three thousand hits starting out the same way. I should have made that more clear. I notice he has edited his post two days after I after I replied to it. OH well.

Return to “General Discussion”