Post by mtmynd » April 25th, 2008, 5:35 pm

yab : "organic food is not cost effective. organic is a waste of money."

no, no, no...

yab : "I also insist on organic milk and produce."

yes, yes, yes...

arcadia : "organic food sounds good!!!!!!! "

tastes even better... :)

Hes' : "Just say no to food on drugs"

I like truisms... this is one of them. yeah!

Mrs Yabyum... please breast feed yr baby. that's all baby will need for many months... plus it is 'cost effective.'

YABYUM

Post by YABYUM » April 25th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Cecil, I guess my saying that its a waste of money does sound a little foolish, but some places charge ridiculous amounts of cash. Although I do love the organic ale made by new belgium. Hopefully with all this "green" propaganda being pushed around now, my children wont have the choice to make. Perhaps our species is going to come full circle and realize this is how we should have been all along. (gas alternative vehicles, all organic farming, ect...)

As for Mrs. Yabyum (has a nice ring, dontcha think) She will be breastfeeding. All the literature agrees this is best for the child, wich really seems very freakin obvious to me......
http://frombeerstobabies.blogspot.com/

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 25th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Cool.

SooZen breast fed our two boys... first one in 1973 followed by #2 (a Down's syndrome lad) in 1977. Few mothers took to it, but with her conviction and my encouragement all went accordingly. The only way to go , both healthy and meaningful. Don't let Mrs get discouraged... or yrself. You won't regret it. Promise.

Re: The organic movement has to be attributed to J.I. Rodale, founder of 'Organic Gardening' magazine and Rodale Press which educated folks to both the know-how and benefits ('Prevention' magazine) of eating organically with an extensive library. It's really too bad the man never lived to see his vision come to the fruition it has. Even the top chefs today use organic produce as a matter of course. *aren't you glad you read this... ;)*

mrs. yabyum

Post by mrs. yabyum » April 26th, 2008, 12:04 am

oops, double post!
Last edited by mrs. yabyum on April 26th, 2008, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://frombeerstobabies.blogspot.com

mrs. yabyum

Post by mrs. yabyum » April 26th, 2008, 12:06 am

mrs. yabyum is definitely going to try to breastfeed! yeah DUH, anyone who needs to be told that breast is best maybe shouldn't be procreating in the first place. just my opinion :) it's in the plan for us anyway. i know that some babies don't take to it easily, and it's possible that baby could have a complicated digestive system (some intolerance or something), but i'm for sure going to give it my best and do all i can to feed my baby with MYSELF, basically FOR FREE and passing along all my good baby-growing milky stuff that grows in me. i'm looking forward to baby being my main priority. i'm glad ronnie has a job that he likes that will support us enough for me to stay home with baby.

to get back to the organic debate, i think dedicating time and money to the cause is important because it's just natural and better for our bodies. it's a worthwhile investment, however much we pay. i have been doing some reading on the subject and have found that buying only produce grown in the united states is as important as buying organic, what with pesticide laws and economy/recession and unfair outsourcing, among other factors. also it depends on what produce you buy, organic or not, if you make the choice to buy both. bananas, oranges, avocados, and things like that are safe from most chemicals because of their skins. apples, tomatoes, and other things that have consumable skins are iffy due to their skins. they're fine if you wash them. dairy & meats is a whole nother story though, concerning added hormones and treatment of animals. milk fuckin pisses me off though; the only non-independent store i've been able to find organic gallons is trader joe's. but this IS eugene, oregon, and i'm sure if i look into it, i could find a better place to buy my weekly gallon of milk.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 26th, 2008, 12:36 am

denese, i wash everything with soap and water - to get rid of bacteria (natural) as well as pesticides, but don't forget that vegetables and fruit are grown with water that is dubious. Chances are that the fruit is permeated with chemicals.

That's life. Even organics are allowed a certain percentage of chemicals - nowhere are we totally free of the effects of modern living.

True about meat - depending on what the animals are fed.
The best rule to use is to avoid processed foods, try to avoid anything with those lovely little "E" additives (that add flavour, colour, etc). Read labels. Just cause something says Natural, doesn't mean it's any more natural than the thing that doesn't say so. (I guess you know all that)

You're probably also reading up on all the nutrition you need. As the fetus grows, s/he takes everything needed from your body, leaving you with the rest. So you need tons of Calcium (at least 1200 mgs) and Vitamin D (20 minutes of daily sunlight can do that for you) and all the other minerals and vitamins found in food.

Go with your instincts. I remember running the opposite direction when i smelled brown rice (really!) but suddenly i wanted cheese cake. (Fresh, safe cheese cake).

Reading labels will probably keep you safest. Enjoy.

sooZen

Post by sooZen » April 26th, 2008, 7:31 am

Hi D and Yab...this is sooo exciting! Our first Studio Eight baby (i think.)

D...sounds like you are doing all the right stuff, reading and weighing options and planning for the best.

Organic is best and growing your own even better if it can be done but that is not always the case. We are lucky in that we have access to a Farmer's Market (we work there every Sat, summer thru fall) and do grow some of our own stuff too.

Both of my sons (now over 30) were breastfeed even tho I was really discouraged by doctors, nurses and sundry others. With the first, my doctor even told me my nipples were too small...without a beat, I told him my baby would have a small mouth. With my second, the Down's, they told me it was impossible because of his palate and they wouldn't let me. I took him home, threw away the formula and waited for him to get really hungry...he did...it took courage and conviction that I was doing what was best for my babies and it turned out, easiest for me.

Good luck and follow your instincts, parents usually always KNOW what is right despite what the experts say.
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 26th, 2008, 11:16 am

i breast fed both my babies

there was no question in my mind about it!

it's a wonder they didn't starve to death

:lol:

(small-breasted woman's silly joke)

and sooZ? izzy had baby Myla ... so this is our second child ... that's a good thing ... 'cause he or she will need an older sister for advice purposes and social adjustment purposes, etc ...
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... sc&start=0

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 26th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Not only is good for the baby
it comes in such cute little containers.

The punch line from a joke a professor told my brother when he was in med school. I forgot the joke though.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » April 26th, 2008, 6:15 pm

How is the word "organic" defined these days???? Is what we know about or are we still learning about it????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 24th, 2009, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » April 26th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Indeed, I breastfed Stella for her first year, then I used a breast pump for a few months after that...Stella never did go for a binky or bottle...went straight to a sippy cup when I started using the pump thing as well as into....ORGANIC FOOD. I made alot of her food myself.....It was damn fun and I felt very useful I miss it all so much......and I miss feeling useful too!
Let me know when you need a sitter....!

XO
H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 26th, 2008, 11:47 pm

Do any of you remember the Ten Talents Cookbook? An original vegan cookbook that i grabbed onto when i became veg at age 18. The author listed all the vital nutrients and what they did in the body, where to find em, etc.
She had a great recipe for teething biscuits that i still use to this day as a basis for cookies.

i used to make tofu according to her recipe using soya flour and add some apple sauce and tehina (and brewer's yeast) when my first daughter started being interested in food.

That was fun.
As for breastfeeding, definitely. Nothing easier than feeding a babe straight from the body. I used to watch women shlep bags and bags of equipment to prepare a meal and wonder why they didn't take the lazy route.

Just have to remember to drink lots of water and keep up calcium intake. Also the food the mother consumes is passed down through the milk so it's best to minimize gassy foods and other additives.

Maybe this is too much info right now. But it is so cool to re-live those days when everything was an adventure.
To raise a babe and wonder when she'd reveal her special personality?
Silly me - it starts the moment she kicks inside the womb!

westcoast

Post by westcoast » April 27th, 2008, 12:03 am

my son and his partner/girlfriend are hardcore vegans. she's studying to become a naturopathic doctor and he's studying organic farming. viva la westcoast!

tomorrow we're spending the day together so she can assess my health, help me shop for healthy foods and begin my new world order...lol

i've shopped organic forever, but it's becoming a bit too expensive!

sooZen

Post by sooZen » April 27th, 2008, 8:49 am

Ahh baby r eminences! Does anyone remember the Happy Baby Food Grinder? I took that little thing everywhere once the boys were on solids and I think they still make them.

Dave...here in Texas/New Mexico you have to be certified to use the word 'organic'. That certification includes inspections of your fields and farming methods...they will come out and look before you can use the word otherwise, like Cecil and I at the Farmers Market, you have to say 'grown without pesticides' or 'unsprayed' which we do. Using ORGANIC in a lable or description without certification is big trouble and getting certification is big hassle but it keeps the farmers honest.
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

mrs. yabyum

Post by mrs. yabyum » April 27th, 2008, 5:51 pm

i'm excited to make our own baby food. i already "hide" loathed carrots and spinach and other veggies in all kinds of foods for ronnie...the food processor and i are developing a special relationship. as much as i love those tiny glass jars and i can imagine how convenient they'll be, i think buying baby food is a big waste. why not just re-work what we're preparing for ourselves?

one thing i'll be interested to see: when we decide to wean. i've seen a lot of moms keeping up breastfeeding through 2 & 3 & even further...i don't know. i guess teeth will be a big factor.

Return to “General Discussion”