Oganic food and shopping cart seats...

Go ahead. Talk about it.
YABYUM

Oganic food and shopping cart seats...

Post by YABYUM » April 23rd, 2008, 4:48 pm

when I was a child I played with metal Tonka trucks, ate non-organic food and would sit in shopping carts without a $100 seat cover to protect me from germs. I am fine. We drove to Florida without stopping, in a small station wagon with no seatbelts and one child out of the four would always be streched out in the "back back". We survived. We all drank from plastic bottles and we all had to "cry it out".

I am reading so much bullshit and propaganda in every parent magazine that comes my way. Some of it, I can buy into. I like seatbelts and car safety gadgets. I hate plastic tonka toys. Dont even get me firing off about an all organic diet.

Am I the generation of parents who will be raising the next society of Wussies?
http://frombeerstobabies.blogspot.com/

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » April 23rd, 2008, 5:25 pm

Hey my folks buckled me up because they wanted me to be safe!!!! No you'll not be raising your kid to be like that. You're just watching out for the kid.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 24th, 2009, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YABYUM

Post by YABYUM » April 23rd, 2008, 5:33 pm

my child will FORTUNATELY have me in her\his corner. But god damn all this crap I see new parents buying to "protect" their children from germs and pain and tears and.........

20 years from now all the college kids will need bubbles and gloves to move around outdoors.

YABYUM

Post by YABYUM » April 23rd, 2008, 7:00 pm

truck.....

explain your words.......because i hate them.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 23rd, 2008, 7:04 pm

you said
20 years from now all the college kids will need bubbles and gloves to move around outdoors.
that is what you said

I said

Yes, these might be the good old days.

What's to explain?

I am just saying that

Your hate is your problem, not mine
not so?

take care of your family yabyum
this world can use all the responsible parents it can get

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 23rd, 2008, 7:30 pm

She had a bit on her blog about "the nut jobs"
I suppose she was referring to what some people think about people who are about to become parents.

I am happy for you Ronnie
I have to watch my envy
but even so this is a strange new world
I have to watch my pessimism
Not sure if it is a function of my age (the last time I checked I am the oldest fart here}

That is a dark image you gave me.

Is the sun getting stronger?
I been roofing the past couple weeks
I don't remember ever getting sun burned so fast.
Maybe that is a function of my skin being so old and dry.

My only hope is the children Ronnie.

And I was thinking about the bubble boy

I don't mind explaining myself
I have to do it all the time
my friends make appologies for me.

mrs. yabyum

Post by mrs. yabyum » April 23rd, 2008, 7:58 pm

first of all: all the moms my moms' age i talk to, INCLUDING my own mother, say that they wish they knew what we know now. how they wish they could have raised us better, how lucky we are to know what we know and have the child-raising choices that we do. they did the best with what they had and that's it. they didn't know any better and didn't have a choice.

we all had metal tonkas and plastic bottles because that's all there was. we all walked or rode our bikes several blocks by ourselves to the store because there weren't sexual offender databases being handed out at every pta meeting. we had to pick ourselves up after every fall and learn to tend our own wounds and didn't think twice about rusty nails because our moms had no idea where we were playing outside. if my mom had known the parameters of my outside play areas, she would have seriously shortened them.

therefore, secondly: since i can, i want to raise my own person the way i would have raised myself. which is the way i am raising myself now.

it's all relative. the choices we make are the choices we make, who cares what anyone else does? that's the thing about being a knowledgable, responsible individual: listen and read and then choose and apply accordingly.

truck, you were right about us nutjobs. plus we're just a couple of nutty individuals.

p.s. ronnie bought a $4 jar of grape jelly the other day. it was organic. i tried to get him to get the welch's that was 7 times the size and cost a quarter as much. he now admits his jackassedness. he's learning. :)
http://frombeerstobabies.blogspot.com

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » April 24th, 2008, 10:42 am

It gets passed on from one generation to another. I do a little bit of organic grocery shopping for the most part.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 24th, 2009, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » April 24th, 2008, 2:44 pm

organic food sounds good!!!!!!! :)

YABYUM

Post by YABYUM » April 24th, 2008, 5:01 pm

organic food is not cost effective. organic is a waste of money. and yes....and my wife points out.....i did purchase organic grape jelly. I also insist on organic milk and produce. the truth is.....i have no idea why. it has infected my brain, this organic being the best thing for you propoganda. i wonder what i will be thinking when i do a YABYUM all post search five years from now.

PS. of all the running banners.....i always love this one the most.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » April 24th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Look, Organic is better, period. Organic does not mean you have to go to expensive stores...join your local Co-op! Support your local farmers at their weekly markets! Grow your own!!!!!!
Organic milk is a must....have you noticed how long it lasts! No waste, and no hormones! Same for eggs.
You can't go into an upscale store touting organic, and save anything.
You can go to the co-op and volunteer a few hours a month and get a tremendous discount on your purchases! You can buy bulk spices, meaning smaller, fresher amounts and less weight, etc, etc, etc.
And if you qualify for food stamps, hell you can use your trail card at any co-op.....
You can buy organics staples and make your own organic food really cheap!
If the demand for organic becomes greater than the demand for chemical foods, then the price for organic could be brought down for your children's generation!
Here's a quote I love on this Organic Bread called "Dave's".
"Just say no to food on drugs"
F'ing A!!!!!!
:D
H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

YABYUM

Post by YABYUM » April 24th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Theda...you hit on a point that i make to my love often. that being the need for organic will grow enough to cheapen. like plasma tvs and playstaion 3's. In eugene, we have the saturday market, wich is awesome. it is total hippieville. organic local produce everywhere. we shop through. we buy not yet. prices are high for something i dont need. my baby might need these things. but not yet. as for co-ops....none here. well.....that might be a lie seeing as how i have not looked for one. so thank you for that tid bit. i will look for one. i remember the one in astoria. i was amazed with the cats who ran that joint and so did i purchase from them and for their cause. thanks Theda.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » April 24th, 2008, 7:06 pm

yeah, my daughter is built of turkey eggs
organic turkey eggs
we were so broke during the pregnancy that
those turkey eggs that they sold in the Austin organic food co-op for three cents apiece were a great staple. Three cents and they were as big as softballs with two or three yolks. Meal for three cents.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 24th, 2008, 7:48 pm

I remember back in the late 60's and early 70's, I had a lot of friends who were into organic gardening and eating macrobiotic foods. Health conscious hippies.

They used to drop acid, trip on mescaline, and eat handfuls of black beauties while talking about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.

:lol:

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » April 25th, 2008, 12:26 pm

My brother shops only at the local co - op. I was thinking about shopping there myself but the co - op that he buys at is not too conviently located for me. It's really nice I've been to it. I think my folks take part in this organic community veg shares.

Return to “General Discussion”