Dead bird

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Dead bird

Post by Doreen Peri » June 19th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Can somebody come over here and help me remove a dead bird from my front porch? It's been there for a week...... sighhh....

It's disgusting. I can't touch it. I don't know what to do.

I'm not good with dead things. I even hate dead bugs. Why does death bother me so much?

My cat is a mass murderer. He should be incarcerated.

Seriously, any tips on how I should go about removing the corpse from the premises?

Should I use a shovel and bury it in the back yard? Should I use some paper towels and wrap it up and put it in the trash?

Where's the mortician when you need him the most?

mrs. yabyum

Post by mrs. yabyum » June 19th, 2008, 1:10 pm

oh jeez doreen, i'm sorry you have to deal with this. don't know if you read my blog about the other day when our cat brought a dead bird INSIDE the house. i had to actually wrap my hand in a plastic bag to dispose of the carcass, and touch it. i touched a dead bird. and then had to congratulate my killer kitten. it's a bit hard to think it's his primal urge to murder, he's just doing his job, it was a gift for me, when really what i'm thinking is "how could he and that's gross."

i have problems with dead things too. but i was raised in the boonies and had to learn to deal with all kinds of critters, big and small, dead and living, smelly and messy. like the time a very much alive bird flew into the house and flew around pooping on everything. or all the dead (and half-dead, those are the worst) mice and shrews the cats would leave on the porch. or all the herds of deer bedding in the backyard and eating the new daffodil shoots.

nature...whatever.

i would probably try to limit the amount of contact with the bird, get a shovel or something and scoop it up then toss it into some bushes to naturally decompose. probably away from any other nests or anything close that would attract scavengers.

just my opinion, i'm not an expert, i'm an indoor girl and i feel your pain! good luck!
http://frombeerstobabies.blogspot.com

bennie2

Post by bennie2 » June 19th, 2008, 2:15 pm

i think dead birds are beautiful. chicken. turkey. pheasant. ostrich...

really though. in the same sense that a fallen tree is beautiful, so too is a dead bird. there's a painful and massive level of beauty in such things.

the frailty of it all. i couldn't deal with seing a dead relative or friend in a coffin (that's morbid) but dead things take on a beauty all of their own.

night is the beautiful reflection of another dying day.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » June 19th, 2008, 2:47 pm

sorry I'm not around to do your light work, doreen

I was the resident undertaker

ship the cat to me
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » June 19th, 2008, 3:36 pm

It's been lying on your porch for a week..! Sounds long enough to get to know that bird. Why not give it a name? Do you know what kind of bird it was when it flew? Can hardly call a dead bird a bird anymore, but you can call him "Zoomer."

:wink:

((psst... Bury it in the flower garden... deep so a dog or another cat can't get to it. It'll decompose and feed the soil. A good thing))

Perdida

Post by Perdida » June 19th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Doreen, rubber gloves and a plastic rubbish bag. Throw it either in the bin, or like suggested in the bush somewhere or bury it.

My cat is a murderer too, birds though are easier to clean up. I've had to clean up mice/rats and bunnies. Yes, bunnies now THAT is the real killer. Then my cat walks around like he's god's gift. grrr.

So how did you go?

:D
The path to true love isn't always straight.
(Uknown)

www.algonquinstable.com

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » June 19th, 2008, 6:21 pm

well... I had to do it with a bat once. The worst thing is that I killed it myself before that :shock: . I promised myself I won´t do it again in the future... :roll:
There is a deep sadness (at least in me) when I see a dead bird. It doesn´t happen the same when I see for example a dead rat or a dead cucaracha. It sounds injust somehow, but it works that way.
But you are talking about a bird dead one week ago... that´s a bit different...it´s already putrid or is kind of disecated already?. I need more details to be prepared for it at least mentally, I´m very sensitive to strong odours :lol: . But I guess I can do it for you! :)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 20th, 2008, 11:33 am

Thank you all!

You all have been very helpful!

It hasn't really been an entire week yet, btw, and it doesn't stink or anything and the dead bird is next to my porch in the garden, not actually directly on my front porch.

I'm going to get rid of it very soon, making a decision based on all of your suggestions.

That is, after I ask my neighbor who's outside right now to do it for me.

lol

I'll let you know how it went.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 20th, 2008, 11:40 am

Gone! My neighbor picked it up lickety-split with a plastic glove, put it in a plastic bag and took it away! YAY! I've got some great neighbors!

BUT.. this won't be the last one, I'm sure, because of the mass murderer I live with and I'm certain I will be back to this thread to use the advice you all have given me in the future.

Apologies for not replying to you one at a time. My time is limited here right now. Just wanted to let you all know I appreciate you.

Return to “General Discussion”