What's Blue-Ray?

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

What's Blue-Ray?

Post by Doreen Peri » December 14th, 2008, 9:33 pm

It's like DVD only different? Anybody know?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 14th, 2008, 9:52 pm

From geezer memory I think they have a blue laser in them, a shorter wave length that allows better recording and more info can be stored on the disk.

But I may be thinking of a blue roseImage

I guess the joke is that the blue laser was the Holy Grail they were seeking for a long time; I remember reading about the attempts to create it ten years ago.

So far I do not think any one has been able to grow a blue rose.

Not much of a joke I just felt like using an emoticon.
Last edited by stilltrucking on December 14th, 2008, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 14th, 2008, 10:43 pm

The history of science has more than its share of underdog stories—researchers working off the beaten track who succeed where others can’t—but few of them, if any, are as remarkable as the story of Shuji Nakamura and the blue laser diode. For decades the blue laser was the ultimate dream in laser technology. The reason was a simple combination of physics and market economics. Blue light has the shortest wavelength of visible light. Build a blue laser diode, and you could quadruple the amount of data that could be read and stored on a compact disc, a CD-ROM, or a digital video disc (DVD) player. With red and green laser diodes already on the shelves, blue was the last of the primary colors left to tackle, and if that could be done, one could imagine a device that combined blue, red, and green and emitted white light, perhaps putting the light bulb as we know it out of business.

Nichia 's Shuji Nakamura: Dream of the Blue Laser Diode

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 14th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Ohhh i love the smilie! lol

that's a great smilie site.. i've been having a ball with it posting smilies on another site ;)

.... sooooo.... thanks...

do DVD players play blue-ray disks or do you need a special player to play the blue-ray disks?

umm.. i mean... do blue-ray players play dvd disks?

oh i'm so confused!

lol

I keep seeing ads on TV for "blue-ray" and can't figure out what i need to do to step into the 21st century

i still don't know how to use my sell phone remember? :P

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 14th, 2008, 11:22 pm

I think of wireman almost everytime I use an emoticon. I guess the devil makes me do it.

I can't believe how complicated those phones are. So many functions.

But I like you having one. Come in handy in a car if you ever need directions or have a roadside emergency.

But they also spook me when I see people driving with one held up against their ear. And those dam ringtones when about ten of them go off around me.

Pretty sure you need a new DVD player to watch a blue ray movie, but I am not sure if the new blue ray dvd players will play a regular dvd movie.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » December 15th, 2008, 7:37 am

Yeah you need one of those players in order to use Blu - Ray discs. It will play only those discs. I hate how all this technology is contributing to the "pile"!!!!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 15th, 2008, 11:58 am

Ahh... that's what I thought.

Fricking technology. It'll suck your bank account dry. Just when you're up to speed and functioning fine, they come up with another format, another machine, something "better" than the last.

Knowing what Blue-Ray is now, it wouldn't surprise me at all if one day all the DVDs you own will be dinosaurs, unplayable on anything.

I had a huge collection of VHS video tapes. I probably could have gotten some good money for them on ebay but I just gave the kids Disney videos to my neighbor instead.

Nobody makes VHS tape players any more. I don't own one any more. Eventually, those who do own them will not be able to get them fixed when they break because they won't make the parts to fix them any more.

This is how I see it. Maybe I'm wrong. A throw-away society. Gotta stay one up on the technology at all times or you, too, will have unusable devices and unreadable media.

Sighhh

it's sad really

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » December 15th, 2008, 2:31 pm

For blu-ray you need either a special player, or a PS3... and it's probably best to have an HDTV as well... becuase otherwise you're really not getting the full effect. But I watched "The Queen" on Blu-Ray on a big HD screen and it was AMAZING. You can really see a difference.

--k
sometimes I just like to breathe.

www.technicolorfraud.blogspot.com

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » December 15th, 2008, 5:40 pm

blue-ray is a digital format for recorded video
it allows for more information, higher definition to be stored on a disk

blue-ray won the format war with HDVD which was the other competitor
much as VHS won out over Betamax

it's all a matter of whose blades will work in whose razors

just get a good movie and forget about it
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » December 15th, 2008, 6:59 pm

It's my understanding that having a blue-ray player won't do any good without a HDTV or something better than that (if there is any, yet), otherwise your blue-ray disc player and dvd won't give you the full benefit.

Bottom line: upgrade to HDTV and Blue Ray and you're full of it until the next development comes around and belittles what you have.

I've noticed that with every technological advancement there is a retardation of what technology is used for, i.e. the movies get crappier and the music sounds more and more generic

There'll come a time when mankind will supersede technology and all technology will become obsolete in favor of nature, simple and pure nature. Ahh... eden.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 16th, 2008, 5:32 pm

mtmynd wrote:
There'll come a time when mankind will supersede technology and all technology will become obsolete in favor of nature, simple and pure nature. Ahh... eden.
Well Cecil I don't know if you forgot the winkie or if you are serious about that.

I take everything so literally
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammels and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

Richard Brautigan

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » December 16th, 2008, 8:34 pm

truck -

Well Cecil I don't know if you forgot the winkie or if you are serious about that.
I'm serious. But I should add I don't see that happening in my lifetime or my children's lifetime either. Probably somewhere down the line when technology bores the crap outta people and it fades into history like like a bad dream.

We chase after technology like it was our god, which it certainly may be given the fact we, the collective we, would perish if technology pulled it's own plug and stopped tomorrow. We would stop along with it. We are 100% addicted to technology to live our life for us. But that simply cannot continue without a tremendous shift of consciousness many moons from now, providing hu'manity lasts.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 16th, 2008, 9:14 pm

We are hooked
No doubt

They say it started with the first person to plant a seed, chip a rock, and draw a picture on the wall.

Technology just one facet of culture, this extro biological womb we are born into.

And culture can evolve much faster that biology. It could change overnight.

I remember how long they tried to make that blue laser. Another quest that has eluded technologist is fusion. Which would end our energy problems.

And no one has bred a blue rose yet either. I don't think.

But technology is more than video games
There is medical technology too.
My great grandfather had five wives and 13 children. All his wives died in childbirth. But he kept on begetting. He was a good multiplier but it was hell on wives.

I like that Brautigan poem, it holds out a promise when technology and nature are not in conflict.

Thanks for the answer.

SmileGRL

Post by SmileGRL » December 18th, 2008, 9:10 am

okay, here's my two cents worth... :mrgreen:

blue ray is like dvd's on steroids. better sound. better picture (with HDTV), and VERY expensive. the few we have play through PS3 (playstation 3), which can play dvd's too (& PS3 games). so if you wanted one machine for everything, that would be the one...for now.

the first blue ray i saw, was "the transporter." WOW! the sound blew me away and the movie starts with probably one of the best car chase scenes in movie history, save "gone in 60 seconds" mustang chase. if you're not an action movie fan, try "memoirs of a geisha" or "great expectations" on blue ray. i haven't seen either on blue ray, but both movies are very artistic and simply beautiful.

even if blue ray is to dvd's what dvd's was to videos, you can't go wrong waiting a little longer before switching. prices are ridiculous right now and are bound to fall sometime in the future.

happy movie watching!

Return to “General Discussion”