Inaugural Show

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Lightning Rod

Inaugural Show

Post by Lightning Rod » January 21st, 2009, 12:19 am

I wasn't too crazy about the poem but I loved this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDUTM3NViHc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDUTM3NViHc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 21st, 2009, 9:35 am

a new world´s symphony with more chords??? (I´m joking!). It´s really very emotive, hermoso!. Gracias for linking it!!!!!!! :)

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » January 21st, 2009, 12:02 pm

loved this a lot, too (and wasn't too crazed about the poem either, though the snatchy way it was read definitely had its advantages for my daughter who, being not very skilled in english as a third language, was actually able to understand a few of those words so gracefully delivered in tuneless staccato style...)

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 23rd, 2009, 11:53 am

(in my best Paul Harvey voice)
And now here's the Rest of the Story

It turns out that YoYo Ma and Perlman were pulling a Milli Vanili
They pre-recorded the music and lip-synced it (or in this case bow-synced it)

When I watched it live I remarked to myself, "It's amazing that these guys can maintain such perfect intonation while playing in 20 degree weather."

I played clarinet in a marching band and we would have to play in weather like that and you never know what note will come out, it's better to just fake the music and march, let the drummers carry it.

I won't even think about playing the flute in the wind. Wind pressure changing up and down the tube completely destroys all tonal control.

I'll give YoMama et al a pass for playing it in a warm studio
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » January 25th, 2009, 7:40 am

Itzhak Perelman said in the New York Times that the reason they did it is because the piano would not be able to maintain a perfect tone do to the cold weather. I think he may of said the same thing about his violin and Yo - Yo Ma's cello. They must have practice keeping in sync with the taped music before hand. Still that piece brought a bit of a tear to my eye. Would I was listening to it.

Return to “General Discussion”