An Amazing Story, IMHO

Go ahead. Talk about it.
mtmynd

An Amazing Story, IMHO

Post by mtmynd » April 2nd, 2010, 12:44 pm

Note: Maybe you, like me, have never heard of this story. I learned of it only today, over 3 years after the experiment happened, but I found it to be a really interesting. I copy/pasted it as I received it. It has been verified by Snopes.com and you can watch youtube.com video of the actual experiment.

Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approximately two thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later:

The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

6 minutes:

A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes:

A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children.. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes:

The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour:

He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed.. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before, Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities . The questions raised: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made......

How many other things are we missing?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 2nd, 2010, 2:18 pm

You missed gmart on Studio Eight January 17 2009

I need to get a life. I heard him being interviewed about it on All Things Considered. It was a experiment conducted by the Washington Post called.

Pearls Before Breakfast

If they had a dog barking the Star Spangled Banner I bet they would have drawn a bigger crowd.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 2nd, 2010, 2:42 pm

Heck fire! I sure missed gmart's post on that.

Thx, JT... but I'll keep this up because gmart had it on "creative writing".

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 2nd, 2010, 2:55 pm

Listen to the All Things Considered link to learn about what he did with the money. He collected more than 32 bucks. One person in the crowd recognized him and put 20 bucks in the violin case but they did not count that for some reason..

Oh well
If I only had a wife and a life
you know family and kids
instead of haunting Studio Eight
I would miss more too

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 2nd, 2010, 3:53 pm

Yes. Amazing. A little depressing. The rat race is powerful stuff.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 2nd, 2010, 3:57 pm

The rat race? Is that what this is all about?

Very interesting interview on ATC. Left me feeling pretty good about the rat race if that was what it is about.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 2nd, 2010, 4:30 pm

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made......

How many other things are we missing?
...rat race. rushing around. yeah, that's one of the possible conclusions from the experiment...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 2nd, 2010, 4:37 pm

It is always good to go to the source. You know hear it from the horses mouth.

I read an interesting article which I can hardly remember but I liked the title
Next Big Thing in English: Knowing They Know That You Know
Mostly I am thinking of what my intent was for posting the link to gmart.

And am I caught up in the rat race on studio eight.
I try not to read too much into Cecil's replies.
I don't think he thought about removing his post.
Last edited by stilltrucking on April 2nd, 2010, 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barry

Post by Barry » April 2nd, 2010, 4:45 pm

I'm a very strange human being.

I've seen God in the bark of a tree, moss on a rock, the rainbow of oil on rain-wet streets. I've seen beauty in a trash-strewn slough, glory in the sight of a bald eagle flying over the slough, something I cannot word in the jade-green water, the morning fog dancing on its surface, sunrise round the shoulder of the mountain, tangerine spilling down-slope...It's just everywhere I look. If I never looked away, I'd never get anything done.

I'd like to think I would have stopped, but if I had somewhere to be I might not have. I am certain, though, that I would have noticed, and taken the time as I moved by to fix it in my memory for later.

I am a very strange human being.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 2nd, 2010, 4:45 pm

I put those links up for your enjoyment Cecil.

Nazz
I guess what I am saying is
it is an amazing story and even more amazing when you check it out and hear his first hand account of it and maybe if you got some time to kill read the whole article in The Washington Post. I did not come away from it depressed. I just tried to imagine what it would be like to have been there when it happened.

Ten four Barry me too.
I wish I had a been there.

Return to “General Discussion”