internet writing scene

Go ahead. Talk about it.
WIREMAN

internet writing scene

Post by WIREMAN » May 18th, 2010, 7:27 pm

...i been doin' it for nearly 10 years now.....it's why i'm here...for the writing and jam's.....just wondering how some of you old timers and new timers feel about the now of this thing (internet writing) and it's future..............
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » May 18th, 2010, 10:39 pm

not too much to say, I´ll listen! :)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 19th, 2010, 9:20 am

It is a blessing and a curse

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 19th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Probably not what you were thinking about but a guy with a lap top in some third world hell can write something that sends another guy into Times Square with a bomb. We have always had mad bombers I guess.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » May 22nd, 2010, 10:33 am

well thanks for responding ST......it's now it's kapow!!!!!!!!....and when kept light hearted it's a blast.....i never take it serious....although a few things have pissed me off (then i chill and laugh cause it's all so ridiculous).....especially when others jump to conclusions.....like that basho frog they are doomed to plop!!!!!!!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 22nd, 2010, 11:07 am

I wrote a long essay in reply to this the other day. Well, it was more of a personal history of writing poetry and posting on the net. Anyway, upon 2nd review of it, not only was it way too long, but I found it to be a little self serving as I stated my goal of having my poetry published in the New Yorker. But I've decided to re-state that goal anyway, as self serving as it may be.

I'm going to get published in the New Yorker! Ha! And there you have it.

lol :lol:

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 22nd, 2010, 1:55 pm

What I like best about writing on the internet is getting inspired by others. Metaphors pour out of people's mouths when they're just chatting with each other and they don't realize it. I like turning the metaphors I hear into poetry. People inspire me.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » May 22nd, 2010, 2:31 pm

I love it. I basically wrote a whole book online, and with Doreen's help got it published. Thanks, Doreen! Having sifted through the book for a few months now, I give it mixed reviews. I love my descriptions of desert light and space, but some of the events seem a little thin on details, such as the motel shooting chapter. And I think I left off too many aspects of my spiritual/philosophical trip, etc. in those rough post-9/11 days. I'm trying to get at some of those things in my writing now.

Anyway, I could see myself writing for the next 20+ years (in which case I need to get a lot more tech savvy about publishing, or famous, haha). Or the inspiration could dry up. Who knows? Run with what ya got. I had no clue when I stumbled onto Litkicks seven years ago (wow, seven years?) that this writing thing would kick my ass like it has. I mean, I barely posted any prose or poetry, and what I did post was half-realized stuff. Kind of got hung up on those sprawling threads. That collection of boards was formidible! I'm not really an outgoing person, but it took me all of a split-second to decide to jump right in at LK. A crazy assembly of poetic artists jamming online . . . are you kidding? It was quite a charge to actually meet some of the folks behind those intriguing screen names, compare perception to the real deal.

After LK changed in 2004, I haven't been able to find that same sort of scene on the net, that energy. But the sites I hang around still have their moments. Good to see you around, Mark.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 22nd, 2010, 6:42 pm

The more people who are online at the same time on the same website posting simultaneously, the more energy there is.

That's what made litkicks great. Lots of people posting at the same time.

I miss that.

We had Word Jams here at the Studio when we first started that had an energetic dynamic to it because there were so many people online posting at the same time. But I think the novelty has worn off. Plus probably half of the people on our member list don't have the same email addresses they originally signed up with here so if you can't get in touch with them to announce a Jam, they don't know about it.

That's why facebook is so popular. Constant activity.

I used to love writing using a chat program. Having people to write back and forth with live .... that, to me is inspiring. I've written many poems which were initially part of poetic chat conversations. I loved that!

I rarely use chat programs any more.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 22nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

There were 48 people online here yesterday
just for a moment. It scared the hell out of me.

I liked the software that litkicks used. You could see it all at a glance those "quilted threads"

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » May 22nd, 2010, 9:06 pm

the cascading affect of the threads was amazing....it nurtured thought....talking 'bout litkicks.....48 online at one time.....damn if everyone was jammin it'd be killer...

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 22nd, 2010, 9:47 pm

Those 48 "people" probably weren't real people. Just bots. Google searches, etc.... spiders crawling the web.

Yeah, the open-threaded software at Litkicks was the bomb! I loved that!

We used to have that same type of software at The Scroll, too, years ago.

I would have loved to have open- threaded software like that here.

There's some software out there where the user can choose which way they see it... closed threads like this or open threaded. That would be nice, too. They have that in Joomla... but I hate Joomla... gotta use it for work and it's the most complicated software in the world, in my opinion.

I once asked my son why forums software these days, for the most part, is closed-threads like this is .... rather than open like litkicks used to be. He told me it was a memory and bandwidth issue. Uses less of the server's bandwidth when it's closed up.

That's why facebook collapses the threads when they get real long. You can only see about 2 posts, then you have to open them up to see the rest of the posts for threads with lots of posts.

Just some notes from the peanut gallery.

Off topic... Catching up on "Lost" so I can hopefully follow the final episode tomorrow night. They have a 2-hour recap on right now.
Last edited by Doreen Peri on May 22nd, 2010, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 22nd, 2010, 9:49 pm

PS .. if anyone can think of a way to get a bunch of people online at the same time, let me know. We've tried the Jams but, as I said, seems they've lost a lot of steam through the years.

Feel free to send your friends the link to studio eight and invite them here. ;)

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » May 22nd, 2010, 10:31 pm

no comment.
nothing to say
i'm here, but i'm not
i'm writing, but not
i think, but i don't

online, off
haiku, no ku
ask me, i'll think about it

watch me, i'm busy
i sew therefore i am
i imagine, therefore i live

in short, online is appetizer and dessert
and i'm always interested

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » May 23rd, 2010, 8:36 am

it has it's times
i limit it to when
i'm here in frederick
on the train i've gotten
back into the notebooks
pulled 'em out in performance
couple weeks ago
i have some musician friends
who music jam on skype
maybe that's an alternative
i like the spontaneous writing
both on paper and screen
but speaking it....when your on the spot
now that's the creme de la creme
proud BUG's (wire)

Return to “General Discussion”