Emily Dickinson, decoded

Go ahead. Talk about it.
mb

Emily Dickinson, decoded

Post by mb » September 9th, 2010, 11:37 am

I heard this last night on NPR's 'On Point with Tom Ashbrook' program.

http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/09/dec ... -dickinson

I enjoyed the program and was once again reminded of the sheer
beauty and genius within ED's works.

-mb

stilltrucking

Re: Emily Dickinson, decoded

Post by stilltrucking » September 9th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Thanks.

Helen Vendler's new commentary on Emily Dickinson, reviewed by Michael Dirda

DICKINSON

Selected Poems and Commentaries

By Helen Vendler

Harvard Univ. 535 pp. $35

Any good bookstore is likely to offer a half-dozen different editions of Emily Dickinson's poetry. But the reason to consider buying "Dickinson: Selected Poems and Commentaries" lies, of course, in the commentator, Helen Vendler.

Vendler -- A. Kingsley Porter University Professor at Harvard -- is widely regarded as our finest living critic and champion of contemporary poetry. Many would say of poetry, period, since she has produced important studies of half the Western canon, from Shakespeare's sonnets and George Herbert's metaphysical verse to the work of Keats, Whitman, Yeats, Stevens, Plath, Heaney and Ashbery. Vendler's sheer appetite for poetry and her explicatory power are phenomenal.

She is, however, a thoroughly serious, academic critic. Now, some professors are fun to read: Think of the cool Olympian clarity of Northrop Frye, the astonishing encyclopedism of Hugh Kenner, the delicious precisions of Guy Davenport, the Empsonian dash and brilliance of Christopher Ricks. Vendler's strength, meanwhile, lies in clearly, patiently explaining what's happening in a poem. But -- and it's a big but -- you really do need to pay attention. As Vendler writes in her introduction to "Dickinson," hers isn't so much a book to read through as "a book to be browsed in, as the reader becomes interested in one or another of the poems commented on here." ....

you can read the entire article here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... artsliving

mb

Post by mb » September 9th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Glad you posted that. I can't wait to get my hands on Vendler's book, based on her responses on the program....

-mb

mb

Post by mb » September 9th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Glad you posted that. I can't wait to get my hands on Vendler's book, based on her responses on the program....

-mb

Return to “General Discussion”