Marijuana -- Will It Still Be Fun When It's Legal?

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » October 11th, 2010, 3:38 pm

The Poet's Eye

The Poet's Eye is about to witness an event that I never thought I would live to see. When the people of California pass Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana, they will be curing one of the diseases suffered by our body politic for generations and one which I viewed as both congenital and chronic. I accepted that this example of institutional stupidity was so woven into our social fabric that it was unlikely to change during my lifetime. Having it legal, even in another state, will be an almost bittersweet experience, like getting out of prison or having a birthmark removed, one of those events that make us glad but we don't entirely trust, and we also feel a sad tinge of nostalgia and loss for the good old bad old days. Will it still be fun when it's legal?
It shouldn't really make a difference to me whether or not pot is legal. When I consciously chose to include the herb in my fuel mixture, I also chose to commit civil disobedience. I rejected the legitimacy of drug laws and regularly and deliberately violated them. For me these laws represented a wrongful exercise of governmental power. It is not the proper province of government to determine what foods, beverages or condiments I can put into my body. This moral posture has caused considerable practical havoc in my life but Thoreau was very thorough and I was well warned that civil disobedience sometimes includes accepting the punitive consequences of our actions.

The fact that pot is illegal has been as significant to my life as prohibition was to the life of Al Capone. No, I am not a flashy gangster. At various times in my life I could have been described as a low-level pot dealer. Mostly I kept it on hand for my friends and sold enough to pay for the party. But many years of my life have been wasted fussing with the useless and wasteful drug prohibition industry. I refer to it as an industry because this is what it has become. Thousands of jobs depend on it, not only the drug cartels and and smugglers and local pot dealers, but also cops and lawyers and prosecutors and judges and clerks and bondsmen to prison guards and administrators to offices full of parole and probation supervisors to forced 'rehabilitation' facility personnel. You have the people who test urine and the folks who manufacture and sell products to foil the urine tests. What I'm saying is that it's big business. There is a whole economy organized around the fact that dope is illegal. That's why I never expected it to change.

But, I had always wondered at what point the public costs of maintaining the apparatus of the prohibition industry would become, well....prohibitive. How many prisons would we have to erect and how many families would we have to demolish before we realizes that we just couldn't afford to continue the nonsense? The budget for the War on Drugs is in the tens of billions per year. California has hit that tipping point where they have to ask themselves if they want to hire a school teacher or a narc. Economic forces have assumed control of the situation and enough Californians see the good sense in turning a liability to an asset when it comes to the already robust hemp industry in the state. The same people who are bailing out of helicopters and burning pot patches now will soon be weighing it for tax purposes instead. This is a good thing. Still, I'll miss prohibition like I miss silent movies and The March of Dimes.

I remember afternoons in the Lakewood Yacht Club in the early '70's. It was a hangout for local Characters, mainly catering to the vices, pimps, bookies and dealers and of course the entertainment business girls. Once in a while the conversation would turn to the very hypothetical topic of pot legalization in Texas. Consensus among pot dealers was that they were against it, not as a matter of morality or ideology but purely one of economics. They knew that the only reason they were sipping cervesas in a dim bar rather than selling spinach off a cart by the side of the road in the hot sun was because their vegetable was illegal. They were honest merchants for the most part, they took pride in their product and offered a fair deal for a fair price and accepted the risks associated with doing business in any unregulated market. But they also understood that the only reason they could sell a handful of weeds that anybody could grow in their back yard for 400 dollars an ounce was because it was illegal.

It's not that I think that there is any danger of Texas following California down the road to pot perdition. Hell will have to freeze over and thaw two or three times before Texas gives it up with regard to drug laws. The prohibition mafia is much stronger here and there is still a vestigial core of bible-belt voters who are more informed by their interpretation of the Good Book than the realities of their check books. Texas doesn't face the same budget bind as California but there is another situation that might cause the State to consider changing its laws. I'm talking about our border with Mexico which is a hotter war-zone than Afghanistan.

If you want to see complete laissez faire, free-market capitalism at work, take a look at the Texas-Mexico border and the commercial wars which are raging there between rival corporations (cartels) seeking to dominate the lucrative illegal pot market. The only reason these guys are slinging Kalishnikov's on their shoulders rather than selling spinach from a cart by the side of the road is the same reason my friends in the Lakewood Yacht Club could be so proud of their product, because it is illegal. The cartels are virtually ruling the northern Mexican states. They are richer, better equipped and more organized and entrenched than the Taliban. All the cartels lack is an ideology or a leader to be a political force stronger than the PLO. To avoid the embarrassment involved in having to veto the Zeta's application for membership in the UN, we are going to have to resolve this situation. Short of sending Pershing's Marines across the Rio Grande, one good way to help control the cartels would be to cut the spigot on their cash by buying pot grown in the lush mountains of California instead of Guerrero, by legalizing marijuana nationally. This would take cash directly out of the pockets of the cartels and put it directly into ours. What's not to like?

Oh, The Poet's Eye will surely shed a tear of nostalgia when it's legal everywhere, for the good old bad old days when we huddled about candles crouched in secret solidarity, afraid of the cops but together in our rebellion, smoking clandestine reefers out back and sharing our insurrection in fond fellowship, passing the handshake with breaths of prayer. I'll miss that part of it. But what I really want to know is, Will It Still Be Fun When It's Legal?

Roll another one
Just like the other one
That one's burned to the end
Come on and be a real friend

Don't bogart that joint my friend
Pass it over to me
Don't bogart that joint my friend
Pass it over to me
---Fraternity of Man
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Arcadia

Re: Marijuana -- Will It Still Be Fun When It's Legal?

Post by Arcadia » October 11th, 2010, 9:58 pm

:lol: no idea, but I enjoyed your considerations! :)

Artguy

Post by Artguy » October 12th, 2010, 11:20 am

For some of us it's a medical necessity....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 12th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Yeah, we nead a real tea party.

Good writin Clay, I also enjoyed your considerations

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 12th, 2010, 2:00 pm

On the money. Good stuff. Very well-written.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » October 26th, 2010, 6:39 pm

YEs....Yes....Yes.....
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » October 28th, 2010, 10:22 pm

HELL YEAH!!!
h 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » November 1st, 2010, 1:02 pm

Re: "Marijuana -- Will It Still Be Fun When It's Legal?"

Okay, call me a wet blanket, but I've never really considered marijuana to be what you call 'fun.' Not to say i haven't enjoyed being with people sharing a smoke or being thrilled with a concert or a recording while high or even further stimulated by some tokes while having sex, but 'fun' was not marijuana to me. I never found it 'fun' to score a bag or roll a number. I never found it 'fun' to grow some personal stash.

No, smoking marijuana didn't even always give be great pleasure. Some dope was so powerful that the word 'stoned' was the only appropriate word to use... unable to move or even worse, not caring to move... a feeling of heaviness with a brother around. And those wonderful 'cotton mouth' moments when dehydration was the only thing noticeable with the effects that it was difficult to speak. Not fun for me.

Now, don't get ol' Cec' wrong... I smoked my first joint in Berkeley in 1967 and continued indulging in various degrees or another until 2007... 40 years. It was never the marijuana that made the times 'fun' but the atmosphere in which I was in - the people, the discussions, the insights, the music... enhanced by dope, but I still have 'fun', the same kinda fun I had when toking up as I do now given the right circumstances.

I always cringed whenever I heard someone say "I need a joint!" I'd reply, "you don't NEED a joint as much as you'd LIKE a joint." This idea that it was a need to have dope (remember "no hope without dope"?) was troubling..., like a junkie (I knew some folks that had the habit very bad... easy to get years ago on the border).

Pot may have a psychological addiction, i.e. you can become 'addicted' to the frame of mind you get. The appeal of a shift of consciousness can be addictive which is not 'fun' when you must rely on weed to feel better that you did before you smoked.

Personally, I viewed (thru experience) weed and other psychedelics as sacramental herbs that had great ability to shift that consciousness into high gear. Yes, some may view that as 'fun' but for many it was opening new doors to visit new areas once unknown or unfamiliar... more satisfying than 'fun', IMESHO, of course!

[well written piece, eLRod... thanks for the inspiration]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 1st, 2010, 1:26 pm

When they legalize it, could they make it so it makes me less paranoid, lethargic, and useless? I haven't smoked it for years but was always unable to do much because of these side effects (thus the uselessness). I'd try to write and forget my thoughts in mid-sentence. And pretty much, I wanted to just go lie down and forget about getting anything done at all because it made me lethargic.

I sure hope they do legalize it, though! .... There are WAY too many people who have had legal problems over this basically harmless plant. I'm just was hoping that if they do, they could somehow regulate the negative side effects (negative for me anyway).

So, yeah, if they could adjust it so it's weaker, I'd probably try the Ultra-Lights and hopefully those side effects I don't care for much would be quelled. Then it might be more fun, especially if they keep the funny part intact. I always liked the funny part.

How they're going to get rid of the paranoia side effect is beyond me, though, but Ultra-LIghts might do it.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » November 1st, 2010, 1:41 pm

DP: "When they legalize it, could they make it so it makes me less paranoid, lethargic, and useless?"

Shhhh, staunch advocates of marijuana do not want to recognize these side effects. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”