Obama's Report Card --- How would you grade him?

Go ahead. Talk about it.

How Would You Grade Obama?

A+
No votes
A
50%
A-
25%
B
No votes
C
No votes
D
No votes
F
25%

Total votes: 4

Lightning Rod

Obama's Report Card --- How would you grade him?

Post by Lightning Rod » October 19th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Full Formatted Version Here
Obamas Report Card -- Mid Term Madness

It's mid-term for the Obama administration and The Poet's Eye sees that it's a pretty good time for checks and X's and plusses and minuses, for a report card. When I was in school, the grading period was six weeks long at which time we had to submit the embarrassing document to our parents for their signatures. The marks on this cryptic scorecard were what determined my level of citizenship for the upcoming six weeks. Would my allowance go up or be cancelled? Would curfews be tight or more relaxed? Would my favorite TV shows be available? How about girls? Those letters in their little boxes were more critical to my everyday life as a teen-ager than my credit score is today.
President Obama is getting his report card from the voters on Nov. 2. The numbers of R's and D's that appear in the next Congress will determine what his privileges will be for the next two years. Will he have a majority in either house or will he need to be more assertive on behalf of the Executive Branch and bulldog the Congress into any meaningful action? It's a cinch that any notions of post-partisanship are as yet in the realm of science-fiction. Obama's accomplishments, for which he claims too little credit, are in danger of de-funding or other obstructionist mayhem should the Republicans gain more legislative leverage.

How would I grade Obama on his rookie season? I begin with a bitter-sweet taste under my tongue. My level of natural elation was dangerously high when Obama was elected. Not only was I drop-dead amazed that only a scant 40 years after King's dream was dreamed, we had a black man as President, I was just so damned relieved to be finished with the Bush regime and the pitiful picture of America that GW presented to the world. At least now we had a leader who was honestly idealistic and articulate. I felt especially lucky to have a very poetic writer as my President. And there was the heady talk of 'change' and 'post-partisan cooperation,' that I clearly recognized as campaign poetry and never really expected would happen, yet my expectations were raised by the soaring rhetoric and a hope that this capable and assured young man could by simple force of intelligence and modernity be able to accomplish the new and daring things necessary for our Republic to prosper. I can't say I was surprised when Obama hit the shit-wall of Washington business as usual, but I was disappointed. All in all, the first two years were less than I had hoped and more than I expected. There was modest progress in insurance reform, not as much as we need but what we need is no private insurance. Financial reform was good for most of us and for fairness. The game is still rigged but some of the egregious abuses were mitigated. The world sees us in a better light. We are making halting progress toward disengaging from the foolish military adventures of the past decade. In different times we would say that Obama deserved good marks.

Of course the stinker is jobs. Despite constant disclaimers that he inherited the economic situation and was not responsible for the bad policies behind the mess, the voters are beginning to ask, quite rightly, What have you done about it? And along with that the question every president hears in an off-year, What have you done for me?....lately. All of this is predictable and understandable. The sad part is that Obama is most likely facing an intractable problem and one which is sure to dog him throughout his presidency even if he is re-elected. Our nostalgic idea of what a healthy job picture looks like, which was fashioned circa 1950, will never again appear in the real world. Technology and globalization have presented us with new rules and realities. Vintage or legacy or old-fashioned jobs will continue to dwindle and disappear until we establish the next paradigm of wealth distribution and re-define the meaning of an American job. Meanwhile, barring some national catharsis on the magnitude of WWII, we can expect double digit unemployment as a baseline.

The Poet's Eye hasn't examined a report card recently but as I remember, my report cards had two main sections. There were the more empirical and quantifiable grades in the particular subjects which were based on tests and homework etc., and then on the other side of the card was a more subjective section where the teacher rated social and study skills with little checks and X's. These had such formal names as 'respecting the rights of others' and 'attentiveness in the classroom' and 'ability to work in groups' etc. The one I always hated was, 'using time to best advantage,' which to me always translated as, 'doing just what I want you to do.' If I were handing out little checks and X's, Obama would get an X in 'fulfilling leadership potential.' This would be the kind of X that a professor gives to a promising student who is not performing to his expectations.

Where Is the New Deal?

For some reason that remains mysterious to me, Obama, who is so profoundly talented as an orator, has failed to rally this country by giving it a sense of common purpose. He pleads that he took the helm at a time comparable to the start of the Great Depression but where is his New Deal? The absence of a grand national cause with a good brand name has been conspicuous. If Barack Obama used his bully pulpit and put forth a plan of national priority to retool our energy infrastructure and put money and law behind it and asked the American people to take up their shovels and dig, not only would it go a long way toward mitigating our unemployment problem by creating jobs, it would create a sense of national unity and stand our economy in much better stead to compete in the new world economy of the 21st Century.
The Poet's Eye sees that our young President has earned a few new gray hairs in these two years. Some of these could be from an excess of caution. I believe Obama, while he is taking things in the right direction, is scared to death of taking things too fast. I hate to say this, but I fear that he's trying to be a credit to his race. As the first African-American president he is obsessively crossing t's and dotting i's. Like Jackie Robinson, he's just trying to touch all the bases and get through the first couple of seasons without starting any fights in the dugout or letting the catcalls from the bigots in the crowd get his goat. He is behaving more like a statesman than a politician, for that he gets a big check mark, but by the time his next report card rolls around I hope he feels loose enough to swing for the bleachers.
Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon
Going to the candidates debate
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you (Woo, woo, woo)
What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson
Joltin' Joe has left and gone away
(Hey, hey, hey...hey, hey, hey)
---Paul Simon
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Re: Obama's Report Card --- How would you grade him?

Post by mtmynd » October 19th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Frankly, I'm tired of the "where are the jobs" mantra that continues to send shivers up the spine of America. As you stated there will be around 90% of the employable still having jobs with 10% remaining jobless for the most part. Sure, there may be part time employment on a seasonal basis, but the days of a large employment roll are but a memory. Why can't the pols be happy with 90% employment? It's mostly the chorus of the Republican/Tea Partiers using that figure to make sure nobody votes Democrat.

I'm disappointed in America, mostly these folks who actually believe the Republicans can turn the unemployment situation into a fully employed citizenry. It ain't gonna happen in two years, much less 4 or more. The times, indeed have changed. With so many Americans using the internet to do their shopping, using the internet to pay their bills and do their banking, using the internet to find the information vs. a library, and using the internet for their entertainment more and more... this leaves the old brick and mortar storefronts and even the USPS more and more unnecessary as they were even a decade ago. Where are all the jobs the Republicans going to create?

They are liars and thieves. The worst of the worst in politicians the country has ever seen. These bastards will say and do literally anything to get the voters to buy into their schemes which brought the country to where we are today. Obama? Has anyone today ever seen such a resistance to their President as we have witnessed with the Republicans and Obama? Certainly not in my lifetime. The Republicans are a shrewd and deceitful bunch having convinced so many that the Tea Party is some new thing to vote for when they, the Republican Money Makers, have merely renamed the Republican Party to get the vote. The majority of Tea Party events and ads are sponsored by deep pockets among the notorious 2%'ers, who have used their money to support major banks to stop lending money to the majority. In turn the banks need the 2%'ers money because they, the banks, have squandered the public's money thru dubious mortgage practices which are slowly coming to light... and it doesn't look good for our already precarious future.

Obama? I still believe he is the right man for these times. I haven't seen any other politician or even candidate running for office this season (Nov. 2), who could even come close to filling Obama's shoes. Despite the enormous resistance this man has run into, his overall demeanor, his mood and positiveness, I find remarkable. Does he need to tweak some things to make his future better, despite all the accomplishments he already has pulled off..? Absolutely! He needs to regain and restore his charisma level that wooed so many of us during his campaign days. He's got to be bolder and more active about his accomplishments and the plan of the future of the country. He can do it and many of us are hoping he'll do it much, much sooner than later.

Some talking heads lately are suggesting if the Republican/Tea Partiers do indeed win majority in Congress and Boehner takes over as Speaker of the House, that would aid Obama for his probable run for second term as they public will see how truly inept these Republican blowhards really are... and if they continue all resistance to anything the President attempts to pass, they can't blame the Dems. This could (hopefully) be a huge turning point for the Dems to regain the majority along with Obama's reelection. Of course, at this time, it's all conjecture. Nobody, nowhere, I'm certain, has any definitive answers to the country's future the way each day seems to bring more questions than there are answers. Where are we headed in these volatile and insecure times?

[enough]

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 20th, 2010, 2:23 am

wow, he (obama) stepped in it this time, didn't he?

on the other hand, the corporatist side is SO GOOD
that they can SAVE us. surely they can. even though
the money seems to be running a little short?

ah hell, vote 'em back in, tired of the arguing
that we are instructed to argue. yes, nice work.
small business? fuck you, we're talking
big business.

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » October 20th, 2010, 8:30 am

I read an interesting factoid about all these polls that show the republicans winning the house. A reference to The Literary Digest's presidential poll in 1936 that showed Alf Landon Beating FDR in a landslide. It seems they based the sample on people who had telephones.
The current polling is based on telephones too, land lines.
If the polls are right I am calling Barbara Striesand and see if she still wants to leave the country. You know Cecil I wonder about the yin yang thing, I know I don't get duality. My poor little monkey brain got to work that way, it is this or that. But got dam republicans and their hateful billionaires (malefactors of great wealth) I don't see the other half of the duality there.

I giveObama an A as president. For the quiet things he has done so far. The stories you don't see on the eyewitness news blues. On the enviorment, health, and science. Things like that.

I amhappy the focus is on the economy I am sick and tired of news about our wars.

I give Obama an F minus as a commander in chief.

http://www.thenation.com/article/war-personal
Attachments
RichardsPequeno.jpg
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 20th, 2010, 11:11 am

wait... I didn't vote. maybe because it said you can only select one option. that's probably it. never mind me. it's the backlash i'm still trying to process, and it's tied to something big, a little hard to fathom, very discouraging. should have seen it coming. did see it coming this time.
Last edited by mnaz on October 20th, 2010, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 20th, 2010, 11:15 am

In the county I live in, if a student turns in all of his or her homework, even if all of the answers are wrong, and if he or she fails every test, they still pass the course. Not even kidding. Ridiculous, of course.

When my son was in HS, he aced all his tests but refused to play the game and turn in the homework. He's a genius. But he got zeros on his homework. Oh well. Geniuses don't care about shit like that.

What's this have to do with Obama?

Nothing really.

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » October 20th, 2010, 11:21 am

Somebody had a column somewhere on why the wars ae not an issue in the campaign. This is all framed in economic terms because we all know that war is good business.

Beats me what it has to do with Obama, beats me what his race has to do with anything either.

We should be able to pick more than one option

As I remember we never got report cards with just one grade. We had pass fail for different subjects and maybe some average grade.

I am going to vote again just for the hell of it.

I think votes should be tagged to income tax. The more taxes you pay the more votes you get. Wait that is the way it is now. Nevermind.
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm

I kind of feel the same way neologistic.

I wonder what I am really doing by following the news so closely
I think maybe it is all just a distraction for me to take my mind off my own situation. All that is going on in the world is like a side show to me. Meanwhile my lonely life keeps dragging on.

Only the wars are real to me.

And I wonder if a merciful and loving god is behind it all, the poisons in our food and water and air. The Republicans are the party of god. This is a christian nation, it all makes perfect sense to me. Meanwhile another day of my life slips away. Another child is born somewhere in the world to starve to death. Saints labor in far aways places to cure diseases, a kid is shot down on the streets pf baltimore for a pair of sneakers, a sixty car pile up on interstate five

god is busy busy busy

And Obama is definetly not a Muslim, so I sleep better tonight. A freind once told me when everyone else looks crazy it means you are cracking up.

I think the united states is one big insane asylum these days maybe always been that way and I never noticed because I was so nuts.

sorry
I am working on the spelling and typos
I love spontaneous
I never know what I am thinking less I let it spill out

happytrails

Post by happytrails » October 20th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Personally, I think that agreeing with neo is the best way to go. I have found him to be an intelligent, clear thinking individual. And as I don't know much about American politics, I have to get my opinions from somewhere. I read everything I can, then go with the one I can follow, the easiest. Not very scientific, but nothing else works for me, so this is it.

I do the same with Canadian politics. I read something, somewhere, a while back that said, "If you don't know what to vote for, find the most ignorant person you can find. Ask what he is voting for and vote the opposite. That seems to be as good a method as any.

Truckin', if you are nuts, then so am I, and nuts are the only people I trust these days. At least they will tell you what they BELIEVE to be the truth. They may be wrong, but they aren't lying.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 22nd, 2010, 10:29 am

The Noble Lie
Not sure if I can handle the truth
That is what they tell me anyway.

Welcome to study eight happytrails
Don't worry this place is "safe as houses" :wink:

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » October 24th, 2010, 11:56 pm

I give Obama an A.
I guess I'm charmed by his diligence in trying to get along, and I feel for how he must feel having failed that! I mean, you know.....
I voted the day my ballot came in the mail. And now i'm gloriously not watching the news cuz I'm done.
I think it will be a democratic landslide.
H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

Return to “General Discussion”