On the Passing of Lucien Carr

Go ahead. Talk about it.
knip

Post by knip » February 2nd, 2005, 8:38 pm

hey davey the deep

how's it going?

:)

i don't know who was most 'beat'...the beats themselves never agreed on what beat meant, and in fact holmes and kerouac disagreed as to who invented the word...i do know kerouac moved away from beat to beatific around the time OTR came out, and that it coincided with his interest in buddhism

i don't know if huncke was beat...he was a pretty horrible human, and allegedly murdered a storekeeper while robbing him...jack was no princess either

perezoso

Post by perezoso » February 2nd, 2005, 9:39 pm

Who ever claimed the Beats were not deviants and derelicts if not outright criminals? Burroughs lived in the streets of NY stealing coats; Casady stole cars as teenager and fucked about anything with two legs, and did time in prison as did Corso. Jack screwed Casady's wife. Which reminds me, when do I get those sexy nude pics of yr wifey, capn? Ms SquidKnipples might appreciate a visit, eh, comrade?

knip

Post by knip » February 2nd, 2005, 9:51 pm

naaaah...most of my pictures of her are mental, and they' don't transmit too well on the internet

yeah, they all had their problems...don't know if deviant is the right word...i don't recall any stories of holmes acting like an ass...nor ginsberg...

Axanderdeath

Post by Axanderdeath » February 2nd, 2005, 10:02 pm

pere you don'y like any beat writers?

Or are you just trying to cause a little shit?

I thought you were some kind of buk historian.

perezoso

Post by perezoso » February 2nd, 2005, 10:29 pm

What? You need to lay off the heroin or somethin' froggy...I remain a beat fan, more or less, tho I m not so fond of the Burroughsian jazz, but Kerouac, Ferlinghettio, Terry Southern are entertaining---

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » February 3rd, 2005, 12:10 am

one of my Dallas friends is Josh Alan

his real name is Josh Alan Friedman

he is the son of Jay Friedman who was a buddy of Southern and Burroughs

Josh recently wrote a book about Southern with Terry's son.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

knip

Post by knip » February 3rd, 2005, 12:21 am

are they related to the friedman of the kinky variety?

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » February 3rd, 2005, 12:26 am

no, not directly

but I know kinky too

Texas Jew Boy
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

perezoso

Post by perezoso » February 3rd, 2005, 1:39 am

Lots of freaks want to be part of the scene around the beats and hippy writers such as Brautigan and Kesey , but no one has read the books......I meet these people online who are "Kerouac this Kerouac that," then you ask them about the scene with the mex chick in LA and central valley and they say huh? Or who was Japhy Ryder....WHo was Dean Moriarty? Remember McMurphy and Cheswick? etc.

knip

Post by knip » February 3rd, 2005, 1:43 am

i don't know, zozo...someone can have an opinion without having read the ENTIRE catalogue...i didn't know who japhy was until yesterday...i've read OTR and big sur and a kerouac bio...plus everything kesey wrote and acid test about 20 times when i was in my teens...but i like to discuss beat (not that kesey was beat)...certainly one gets annoyed when a poser is revealed, but even then...it's minor shit...but just because one doesn't know everything about a topic doesn't mean that person can't talk about it

or were you specifically referring only to the posers?

perezoso

Post by perezoso » February 3rd, 2005, 1:55 am

Did I say one had to read the entire catalogue, whatever that may consist of? No. But at least a few books should be imbibed--OTR, Dharma Bums, a stab at Naked Lunch, Ferlinghetti, some ginsburg, etc, as well as the 60s dudes--, plus a sampling of relevant influences, such as Henry Miller ( Tropic of Cancer as about as beat as it gets really), Freud, surrealists, some fabians, scientists ..even a total whackjob such as Burroughs was a fairly scholarly and well-read person....on the other hand maybe just bag it and work on a stats class or programming

knip

Post by knip » February 3rd, 2005, 2:19 am

ok...so one doesn't have to read the whole catalogue...i think your list is very good...does the person have to finish that list before talking about it on the intenet, though? i'm just trying to guage how much one has to read before being allowed to try to discuss it

Artguy

Post by Artguy » February 3rd, 2005, 10:35 am

Good ol Lucien....the beats I think were not just themselves as writers but as well a collection of characters that inspired, drove, fucked, and loved them.....Oh Doreen when ya can't be nice be honest I always say.....so let's all raise what ever we have in our hands to the passing of another legend....

Return to “General Discussion”