false beliefs higher in neurotypicals

Go ahead. Talk about it.
sweetwater

false beliefs higher in neurotypicals

Post by sweetwater » July 1st, 2012, 11:24 am

Children’s lie-telling behavior and its relation to false-belief understanding was examined in children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD; n = 26) and a comparison group of typically developing children (n = 27). Participants were assessed using a temptation resistance paradigm, in which children were told not to peek at a forbidden toy while left alone in a room and were later asked if they peeked. Overall, 77% of the total sample peeked at the toy, with no significant difference between the ASD and typically developing groups. Whereas 96% of the typically developing control children lied about peeking, significantly fewer children with ASD (72%) lied. Children with ASD were poorer at maintaining their lies than the control group. Liars had higher false-belief scores than truth-tellers. These findings have implications for understanding how theory of mind deficits may limit the ability of children with ASD to purposefully deceive others.

implications?

sweetwater

Re: false beliefs higher in neurotypicals

Post by sweetwater » July 1st, 2012, 11:35 am

Whereas 96% of the typically developing control children lied about peeking, significantly fewer children with ASD (72%) lied. Children with ASD were poorer at maintaining their lies than the control group. Liars had higher false-belief scores than truth-tellers.

Jacob

Post by Jacob » July 3rd, 2012, 1:06 am

Random searches brought up this page, and it's certainly interesting. Now I'm just curious about the shock such people go through when they finally learn no one is capable of reading their mind? :o

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » July 3rd, 2012, 12:19 pm

My mom used to telll me I amm honest to a fault. I have learned to compensate for my aspergers. It can be dangerous, leaves one open to being sucker punched or stabbed from behind. Hard numbers to live by, hard lessons learned. Riefication, there is no reality anymore, only statistics.. What a construct.

Long time no see Jacob, have I missed any thing? I mean have you posted anything lately?

inFriendship
jt
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Jacob

Post by Jacob » July 24th, 2012, 2:28 am

still.trucking wrote:Long time no see Jacob, have I missed any thing? I mean have you posted anything lately?
I continue to post videos to my YouTube if that's what you mean. I'm sadly scattered all over the place, and my coming here is one of those ventures. It makes it a little hard to get things done, but I think it calms me. Lest I take too long and then have no time left for anything else. Then It's Anxiety Central. :oops:

tarbaby
Location: Oz, or someplace like Kansas, but mostly stilltrucking's vanity

Post by tarbaby » July 25th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Most autistic individuals have difficulty understanding that other people have their own thoughts, feelings, plans and point of views. They also assume that others know their own thoughts, feelings, plans, etc.
ibid

Interesting link, I guess I can start celebrating now :wink:
When an autistic individual begins to lie, it can lead to additional problems/worries as does lying in non-autistic children. At the same time, the advent of lying behavior can be viewed as reaching a new cognitive milestone and can be seen as a reason to celebrate!
ibid

Anxiety Central
Sometimes I fell like I am trying to make my worst fears come true.
As if I can make my worst fears manifest by anxiety.
“Where is that man who has forgotten words that I may have a word with him?”

sweetwater

Post by sweetwater » July 26th, 2012, 3:11 am

lying as a celebration

that's all needs be said

congratulations

on your own discovery

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » July 26th, 2012, 3:13 am

a new cognitive milestone.
In the case of lying, autistic individuals would have to realize that they themselves are aware of two different perspectives of an event-- the true perspective (e.g., “I broke the toy”) and the ‘false’ perspective (e.g., “Someone else broke the toy”) -- while the parent is told only the ‘false’ perspective (e.g., “Someone else broke the toy”). This type of cognition would not be likely for those who do not have theory of mind because they believe that others always know what they are thinking.
ibid
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Return to “General Discussion”