Immortality

Go ahead. Talk about it.
stilltrucking

Immortality

Post by stilltrucking » January 24th, 2013, 10:14 am

Arcadia

Re: Immortality

Post by Arcadia » January 26th, 2013, 10:38 am

so inmortality it´s quite probably boring and tiring, yeah, it has sense somehow...! (it´s hard to me to stand teachers and classes for more than ten minutes since I was a teacher myself ... I became suddenly -at my own surprise- an ADHD student near thirty... :lol: )

I admire, nethertheless his yogui-like agility on the desk despite his age and his loud voice (none of them my virtues! :D ). I´ll keep listening later! :wink:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm

That was my favorite part of the video too. The way he hops up on that table and folds his leg. Reminds me of Kerouac's line about rather be thin than famous. I would rather be able to fold my legs like that than be immortal. :wink:

Useful resourceful website I thought
http://oyc.yale.edu/courses

Jacob

Post by Jacob » May 30th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I don't buy the idea that everything will become mundane and boring after too much exposure. Do not doubt the ability to forget and the plain incompetence of the human brain. Immortality can suit the majority of us just fine. ;)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 31st, 2013, 2:17 pm

it is a good thing to find a teacher who loves to teach what he teaches. I suppose I should watch the video again so I can pick up on what you are saying. What I am trying to figure out now is what I said to arcadia above. It makes no sense to me now, I think I misread what she wrote. But before I go watch the video again I just want to say this off the top of my head. I have a dear friend, a dear old freind who never calls himself a Christian anymore, but he believes he is going to live forever. Sounds good to me, but, I find myself thinking about social security checks in the year 2033 and saying to myself "well I won't have to worry about that with my lifestyle being what it is at the tender age go seventy two". ...hmmm sounds like a jimmy buffet song "A Pirate looks at eighty looks"

I guess I just liked the teacher, admired his spryness, envied him I guess. I want to live to be the oldest intact male primate in North America, but after I die I sure hope I won't need my social security card anymore ;)

Hackman471

Post by Hackman471 » December 3rd, 2013, 5:47 am

You must know by now your article goes to the nitty-gritty of the subject. Your clarity leaves me wanting to know more.

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » December 3rd, 2013, 1:38 pm

You ever read any of Ionesco's work? Not sure if it has anything to do with this, I know nothing about Ionesco but I am very interested in irony. I have heard that the Christ jesus had a fine sense of irony.

"We are made to be immortal, and yet we die. It's horrible, it can't be taken seriously." diesel dyke

thanks for taking the time to reply
I wanted to know more too, now I just want to know myself.

"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Artguy

Post by Artguy » December 8th, 2013, 11:58 am

I've been here before...

short timer

Post by short timer » January 11th, 2014, 10:56 am

I was here just yesterday.
Either for my first or last time
and getting here was half the fun

Free Rice

http://www.landscaper.net/short.htm

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 11th, 2014, 4:13 pm

I've been here before...
it is a comforting thought artguy 8)

but my memory is short
all I can remember is I was
here yesterday
I am here today
and tomorrow sounds like it is going to be lovely weather
so I hope I am still here in the future will have been
it is all so new to me from moment to moment but still I feel like I have seen it all before

Only thing I worry about is the high cost of dying and what is going to happen to my body after I die. Who is going to pay my baggage out of here. I am not a very good Buddhist in that respect maybe.

It seems to me that it would be a blessing if it is true that the dead know nothing. Sometimes I wish I was not so superstitious and made arrangements for the disposal of my corpse by cremation. :? 8)

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 13th, 2014, 4:59 pm

immortality is an escape mechanism of the mind
that preoccupies itself with permanence rather
than assuring the keeper of said mind that indeed
immortality is what all of life is and has been in
our collective memories that extend far beyond
the pettiness of this ego life of ours, created as
a vase to give a material home to consciousness,
the sustainer and creator of this mystery we hu'mans
have so delicately named and categorized briefly in
four letters, L-I-F-E... the source and end of the beginning
wrapped in yesterday's newspapers stained by reality's
tearful sadness that our lives are far too uninteresting
to desire an eternity of monotony's daily rituals.

:arrow:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm

When I speak of immortality I was not so much thinking of the mind but as another thing we humans have and that is a B-O-D-Y not just life as some abstract notion .....>>> but I am too literal my friends tell me. :?

the fate of the body after it looses that property called life
will those atoms ever get back together as the same body?

If kurt has been here before, I guess it was as some other guy with a different body, :?:

The Body
and what happens to it between the first death and resurrection or reincarnation.

I used to not give a fig what happens to my body after death. But in my dotage I have become a lot more superstitious. Isn't that human all too human :?:

My mind :?:
I wonder will it persist into the grave for awhile? I imagine lying there rotting till every scintilla of my body is returned to the earth. But I am sure me, I, this fellow sitting here thinking writing will cease to exist after my brain shuts down. But if that is true why do I dread cremation. It really makes a lot of sense. :| If I was rational about death I think I should make arrangements for that.

It interests me why Muslims and Jews go around picking up every piece of meat that is left after a suicide bombing as if all that has to go into the coffin because for the next life
of the body, the body must be intact. :?:

I remember a truck driver who got cut in half when he got caught between two trucks in a truck stop parking lot. The volunteer fire department picked up the big pieces the rest of him they washed into the creek with their fire hoses. :|

Part of him is sleeping with the fish I suppose

amor fati
suppose Nietzsche was right?
Jesus and the Buddha too.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 13th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Ne're was a body created that was immortal... including the body of stars one might view within a night sky. To think otherwise is to embrace the impossible, you reckon?

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » January 16th, 2014, 10:37 am

Ne're was a body created that was immortal... including the body of stars one might view within a night sky. To think otherwise is to embrace the impossible, you reckon?
I reckon I try to embrace "six impossible things before breakfast" :wink:
You are probably right Cecil. I am no longer sure about what anything is, stars, paperclips or bodies. Things are sensory data maybe?
My body is another thing. Like a paperclip. Poetry another thing. So many wonderful things here in this best of possible spatio-temporal objective fact worlds about us. I used to be a wannabe Phenomenologist™ but am not smart enough to do the math. :|
"I know / there is / perfection in the being / of my being, / that I am / holy in amness / as stars or / paperclips,"
[/quote]
a.r.r. ammons

I did not know you believed in a creation. Like I said I don't know nothing about Zen Buddhism but I kind of thought that Buddhists don't believe in a creation.
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 17th, 2014, 1:09 am

jackofnightmares wrote:
I did not know you believed in a creation. Like I said I don't know nothing about Zen Buddhism but I kind of thought that Buddhists don't believe in a creation.
why did you think that? it's not like Buddhism, Zen or any other religion, or even any philosophy was created into words after the mind thought of them, eh?

seriously, amigo... I don't consider myself a Buddhist even tho I think Siddhartha was spot on and he wasn't a Buddhist so why should I..? same with Christianity- Jesus wasn't a Christian ... and after his enlightenment am pretty sure he was no longer a practicing Jew either. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”