Go ahead. Talk about it.
zero_hero

Re: The Shutdown, I'm wondering ...

Post by zero_hero » October 5th, 2013, 5:40 pm

my dearest oldest friend on the information highway wrote:
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

I always liked this one too
Pain has no more secret receses.

….let us try to look at it with the eyes of a Patagonian for whom all that is sacred and taboo in our world is meaningless.

Anais Nin Preface to Tropic of Cancer 1934
thanks for the translations
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » October 5th, 2013, 7:26 pm

zero_hero wrote:my dearest oldest friend on the information highway wrote:
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

I always liked this one too
Pain has no more secret receses.

….let us try to look at it with the eyes of a Patagonian for whom all that is sacred and taboo in our world is meaningless.

Anais Nin Preface to Tropic of Cancer 1934
thanks for the translations
Yes
and
you're welcome

Speaking of quotes (?): Today's online Cryptogram puzzle quote was by Isaac Asimov - "“The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.” and in saving this quote to my ongoing list of favorite quotes I reread the one I had posted last month, before all this shutdown *bleep* hit the fan:

"Better to be occasionally cheated than perpetually suspicious." - by B.C. Forbes

"...try to look at it with the eyes of a Patagonian for whom all that is sacred and taboo in our world is meaningless."

00000kayyyyy
Thank you for the reminder.

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » October 5th, 2013, 7:57 pm

okey dokey
It is something I try to remember too
I never did read Miller's novel, but she liked it a lot.

It really gots nothing to do with the Obama Care, it is all about getting elected. I don't know why we have elections anymore. Lets just hold an auction on studio eight for the next president of the "United Snakes"™

"Liberty will not descend to a People. A People must raise themselves to Liberty."
My favorite quote from Red Emma

"History, read it and weep" Kurt Vonnegut

Patagonia that is in Argentina. I never been there but I used to have a fantasy about sailing through the Straits of Magellan.
I look at what happened Argentina under the right wing government and then what happened there under the leftist neo liberals. I would like to think that it could never happen here.

Like I said I been wrong about everything since Goldwater beat Johnson in 1964 and we wound up in another ground war in Asia. I should have voted for the Texan.

'The Enterprise Institute', 'The Heritage Foundation', 'the Madison Institute', 'American's for Prosperity' the same people that led the charge into Iraq and Afghanistan, who can listen to them anymore? Yet they are the money behind the Tea Party. You see them all over the main stream media.

After leading the charge into the Bush wars, who can believe anything they say anymore?
Only the true believers in Ted Cruz's base.
They got a lot of sway in Texas thanks to Tom Delay.

Also Jim DeMint's base, he quit the senate because he has more power as head of The Heritage Institute.

Sorry if I sound hysterical, I don't loose any sleep over it. Just an interested observer I suppose. Not just the danger on the right but also the left. I never heard of neo liberalism till arcadia wrote something about it. I realized they can be just as pernicious as neo cons. Neither left nor right but the middle road, not many middle of the road politicians left, what was that dirty word we call them now "moderates" no time left for moderation I suppose.

I guess you owe men another penny. Not that you asked me :wink:
Attachments
emma_grave.jpg
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 8th, 2013, 10:18 pm

well, we also have something like a shutdown ... (our president is on licencia because the consecuencies of a hit in the head and nowadays Boudou is al volante ... :shock: :roll: )

hey, s-t! I don´t use sombreros .... :mrgreen: I only write here most of the time in a language different from my mother-tongue, I guess it´s one of the easiest way to deal with your shadow...! :wink:

and why don´t raise the debt ceiling? don´t you make the dollars or what?? ... :lol:

Deb: let´s hope common people (of your country and the rest of the world) are/won´t be too much damaged for these power-financial malabarismos ... (there is always someone outside the joke-feeling of the moment ...)

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » October 17th, 2013, 11:47 am

Here is a website you might find interesting Deb

It is about the dark money puppeteers, the people pulling the strings and setting the agenda for the tea party
Interactive: Who’s Pulling the Strings?

http://billmoyers.com/content/whos-pulling-the-strings/
Off topic I guess but I been wondering if Ted Cruz's nose is getting bigger? I also wonder if he is autistic, or was he born with no shame?
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26181

oh well
"I used to stand and wonder
now I only stand"

I used to think I had aspergers syndrome, but now I think it is just my vanity. :oops:
She is twice the man I am.

Atehequa

Post by Atehequa » November 9th, 2013, 5:20 pm

whimsicaldeb wrote:I'm wondering ... I'm feeling uneasy... and I'd like feed back...

I'm wondering if this shut down doesn't have more to do with being able to bypass federal regulations than anything to do with The Affordable Care Act.

When I look down the list of agencies that closed in the shut down:
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/09/ ... le_sidebar

And I see what agencies are close, or not functioning such as:

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (Department of Treasury)
Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Consumer Product Safety Commission
Environmental Protection Agency
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission
Federal Trade Commission
Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission
Office of Government Ethics

etc...
I get a bad feeling.

Basically, every watch dog agency has been shut down. So, if you were big business hiding behind the tea party (as Harry Reid says = http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence ... estroy-our) and you wanted to get something past any of these agency, now would seem to be the time to do it. Under the guise of the Tea Party standing up to "Obama care."

Maybe the latest episode of Blacklist (http://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist/?__sou ... t_MediaAds) has gotten to me ... about hiding things in plain sight. In the show it was assassinations under the guise of accidents, with a lot of innocent people as collateral.

I'm uneasy. This feels like the same type of thing to me.

Thoughts?
Perhaps it's time to start realizing instead of wondering.

Return to “General Discussion”