What do u want from being a Poet

Go ahead. Talk about it.
WIREMAN

What do u want from being a Poet

Post by WIREMAN » January 14th, 2014, 7:17 pm

.....what don't u want.....do u just have to write (I do) or do u agonize over it meticulously....what's your guts about it....some of us have been writing together a long time in cyber land .....that's a new thing, but it's something important.....do u write to perform it?
Do u write spontaneous first thought or some whole another way.....just interested in some of my friends, poet friends thoughts..... 8)
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

judih
Site Admin

Re: What do u want from being a Poet

Post by judih » January 14th, 2014, 11:57 pm

i sit. i listen. i wait for the words that exactly fit the situation to come to my mind. i write.
sometimes it takes 3 seconds. sometimes it takes 49 seconds. i seldom edit unless i see that certain sounds don't work well and there's a possibly better way to represent the moment.

what do i want? i want to focus on the present moment and capture my thoughts, feelings, perceptions. and then i want to move on. if i get a chance to do spoken word, i'll look back and see which 'units' or 'poems' best resonate. Without resonance, it's not worth passing on to others.

thanks for asking, MC.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 15th, 2014, 3:01 am

s.o.c.... w/ occasional corrections. good for only when the moment speaks which is fading in my senior years. ;)

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » January 16th, 2014, 10:22 am

I am pretty god dam sure I am not a poet but even so
I write spontaneously, always. Sometimes I am amazed at the gibberish that comes out. Most times I go back and edit for typos at least.

I am "tune deaf" some kind of glitch in my wiring, best I can explain it is like being color blind, but instead of color it is melody, prosody?—that I am blind/deaf too. That's why I can't be a poet. That is why I need poetry so desperately. thank you all.
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

Artguy

Post by Artguy » January 16th, 2014, 12:11 pm

to breath....

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » January 16th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I can hardly type and chew gum at the same time. :wink: I don't know if I could breath too. I think I hold my breath when I write. or maybe I just never noticed my breath while I am writing. Only when I sit still between the words :? Oh well what ever it is— it is stream of consciousness writing, spontaneous prose— which is stream of breathing writing, sometimes hands trembling, heart throbbing base drum in my ears writing
Jack Kerouac died for my poetic sin.
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 16th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Nothing, any more, unfortunately. I rarely write anything and I feel like my entire body of work was pretty much a waste of time. At the time I was writing daily, I felt I was quite talented and good at what i was doing but now I'm pretty sure it's mostly all for the wastebasket. I rarely write and I rarely perform any more. I don't know what happened but I believe I was in error. I am not a poet and never was one.

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » January 16th, 2014, 3:42 pm

yes me too, all I do is write. But sometimes I take the time to breath too.
Not sure which is the bigger waste of time, breathing or writing.
What is s not a waste of time is the time I spend reading real poets on studio eight. That is about the only thing I do that is worth the time to do as my world comes crashing down around me. 8)
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 16th, 2014, 6:03 pm

I might resurrect my Artlog. Maybe that will get me writing again. Plus, there are dozens of fabulous poems in there which nobody ever replied to. Haha.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 16th, 2014, 7:08 pm

When I die, I will be proud of the fact that I don't lie, I don't cheat, and if I am forced to repeat this life as it flashes before my eyes, I will be wise enough to steer my vision the other way so I don't have to experience it again, but also expose the sins and vows of liars, cheaters, mean mis-treaters and how they kept stepping on me in order to see above the crowd and proclaiming aloud that they were focused on only themselves. Hell, all this rhymes and yes, in time, truths will be revealed. And so this statement is signed and sealed by me. May all your spirits be healed and your honesty revealed.

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » January 17th, 2014, 1:12 pm

When I die, I will be proud of the fact that I don't lie, I don't cheat, and if I am forced to repeat this life as it flashes before my eyes, I will be wise enough to steer my vision the other way so I don't have to experience it again, but also expose the sins and vows of liars, cheaters, mean mis-treaters and how they kept stepping on me in order to see above the crowd and proclaiming aloud that they were focused on only themselves. Hell, all this rhymes and yes, in time, truths will be revealed. And so this statement is signed and sealed by me. May all your spirits be healed and your honesty revealed.
8) :D

I don't know jack sh*t about poetry but I would bet my last functioning testicle :oops: that is poetry.

thank you for writing,
that was pure poetry
you don't need no stinking carriage returns :)
Free Rice

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 17th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Thanks, Jack.

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » January 17th, 2014, 6:14 pm

sorry for the trashy ramble, I meant it sure sounds like poetry to me. I am. Always confused by the discussions about what is poetry. I guess for me poetry sounds like poetry :|
Free Rice

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 17th, 2014, 6:22 pm

No need to apologize. You complimented me and I'm grateful you found some poetic value in my poetic prose. I revised it. Here's the current version... had to make some edits so it read better:

When I die, I will be proud of the fact that I don't lie, I don't cheat, and if I am forced to repeat this life as it flashes before my eyes, I will be wise enough to steer my vision the other way so I don't have to experience pain again, but also to expose the sins and vows of liars, cheaters, mean mis-treaters and how they kept stepping on me in order to see above the crowd while avoiding proclaiming aloud that they were focused on only themselves. And so I will tell you that hell, all this rhymes and yes, in time, truths will be revealed. And so this statement is signed and sealed by me. May all your spirits be healed and your honesty revealed.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 17th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Reads and sounds better to me too. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”