How I Got In A Band & Why No1 Knew About It...

Go ahead. Talk about it.
izeveryboyin

How I Got In A Band & Why No1 Knew About It...

Post by izeveryboyin » March 14th, 2005, 12:25 pm

When I was 18, i went to this alternative correspondeance school, (for drop-outs and fuck-ups) and met with these three people, Cristian(bass) ritchie(recorder) and anna(drums). We became quick friends and shared a love of weird music and hot older guys. we got drunk together at friends' places when their parents were away. this was blissful for me, and fun. It was around this time that we happened upon a dead bird's head outside of a bookstore up the street from our school. We had recently learned that most of us cold play an instrument, and so we said, hey, let's make a band called "The Dead Bird", and so that's what we did. It was fun for awhile, and then we got bored with it. We starte out as an indie rock cover band, doing groups like modest mouse and the hives. It was fun. we gave songs our own, jazzy, hip hop, metal, punk, goth-like schizophrenic them and made it happen. A year passed, and the chicks of the band, me anna, and cristian were in our favorite Border's when we saw a young artist's debut CD: Michael Buble(pronounced bOOb-Lay). Of course we found this name absolutely hilarious, and instantly realized our name was incomplete. We would be "Michael Buble the Dead bird" and, as our catchphrase goes "rock like yo mama." Now while this was all in good fun, I made no particular effort to make it known. Our friend' bar let us play a few times a month, we rocked out in the subway on the redLine a few times and of course those lovely basement barties that silly teenagers love with ill-gotten booze and cigarettes. But we made no wild accomplishments, we have no pipe dreams. We do it all for fun, and therefore, I seldom tell the world about my little band. I do however, greatly advertise for my inprov comedy school/club/theater: www.improvolympic.com and I also seem to think i'm a pretty okay writer. I'll post some lyrics sometimes and you can see what we're into, and I may be able to dig up some million year old terrible cover of modest mouse's "Bukowski".
--K
sometimes I just like to breathe.

www.technicolorfraud.blogspot.com

shamatha1

Post by shamatha1 » March 14th, 2005, 10:30 pm

Ah, the Improv Olympic . . . I haven't been there for awhile, but I've got a friend who's been performing their for about 6 years now in various groups, lately he's been subbing with Baby Wants Candy, and I've only been to see him recently at ComedySportz in the Hot Karl.

Do you perform at IO or just inhabit the place?

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » March 15th, 2005, 1:27 pm

i used to perform b/c i was in the class, but now i just inhabit the joint. 's pretty neet you're hip to IO. You should come and check it out.
--k

bennie

Post by bennie » March 15th, 2005, 2:09 pm

bass recorder and drums? haha. I love it.

Fucking white stripes think they're minimalist. fucking death from above 1979 think they're minima? they don't know shit.

haha.

I want to hear some stuff now. And indie covers band with no guitar.

Michael the bubble was on TV this morning hocking his wares. talentless third rate lounge room cunt!

The best thing that's happened to him is getting his name used buy your band.
well I write music review so I do:
http://www.elevationstation.net

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » March 15th, 2005, 2:38 pm

K,

When I was growing up in Dallas, all of my best friends went to Mother Merril's Academy. It was the school for drop-outs and fuck-ups. I never made it to Mother Merril's because I was too busy keeping my National Honor Society membership current. But all my friends were in bands and they refused to cut their hair and displayed other behavioral problems and substance abuse, so they went to MM's.

Just what instrument do you play in the band?
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » March 15th, 2005, 3:12 pm

http://www.improvolympic.com/
is this a school for fuck-ups?
if so, then there's hope,
and mymission here on earth is complete, except for spreading some icing on the cake. like, she said, was really speakin,
We became quick friends and shared a love of weird music and hot older guys
like me, man,
I am a HOT OLDER GUY, chigago girlie,

then she's off again!

The stupid National Honor Society, geez, we got oyur pins at assembly hall, Christ, and I wore it in my suit to church, too.
All the while, the black kids across the street who lived in Mosier Valley got bussed 30 miles west into Ft. Worthless, and I was too stupid to know better? And me in National Honor Society?
Christ.
I think how stupid I was and how stupid they are today, but I got unbrainwashed, thankyou.
Hallelujah!
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » March 16th, 2005, 2:26 pm

no jim... I wish that was the school for drop-outs and fuck-ups. I was slightly less fortunate. bennie... we do have a guitar.... you're lookin at her. There's not much of it tho b/c of course I'm a terrible shit of an instrumentalists and therefore just sing and write mostly. LRod... when I first started school, I was an NHS freak too. Then I realized how much school sucked how many better things in life there were to do... like for example becoming a drop out, or a fuck-up.
--k

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » March 16th, 2005, 2:36 pm

I was in that National Honor Society thing. Or I was until I failed to keep up their requirements of involvement in the community. What do they expect? "Uva uvam vivendo varia fit," (a grape ripens in the presence of other grapes) and the people in my community weren't other grapes, so I was very hermit-like.
Of course, I had no motivation to stay in the National Honor Society thing. I didn't even have motivation to do homework. If I didn't finish it in class, it didn't get finished. There were essays that I just didn't do. Yet I graduated with a 3.8. Go figure.

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » March 16th, 2005, 2:52 pm

i don't remeber my last GPA. I was drunk when the report card came in the mail.
--k

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » March 16th, 2005, 5:02 pm

Izy, can we at some point look forward to hearing you wail it out!!!!? That would be great!
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » March 16th, 2005, 5:28 pm

at some point mousey... maybe.
*wink*

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » March 16th, 2005, 5:56 pm

i don't generally sing in public.
if i did, it would me a rendition of
elmer fudd singing
"singing in the rain."
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » March 16th, 2005, 6:03 pm

i'd like to hear that... sounds entertaining

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » March 16th, 2005, 6:04 pm

I'm all ears....

ears and tail.....

Snout it on out Jimbo!!!!

Snout it on out!!!!

Elmer Fudd's a pig right? I've never been quite sure. :roll:

Heh Heh, I love Elmer Fudd. I'd pay to hear you sing like that! Really!
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » March 16th, 2005, 6:05 pm

i agree mousey.. totally and fully. hey... how many of us r online right now?

Return to “General Discussion”