stop bots...

Go ahead. Talk about it.
sonofthesun

stop bots...

Post by sonofthesun » June 26th, 2018, 2:02 am

"There are a lot of different techniques you can employ, but a simple option is to add an extra field with a tempting name like “email” to your form that is then hidden using CSS. Humans can’t see the field and as a result will never fill it out. Any request that comes in with the field completed can easily be eliminated as spam" Don't know how hard it is to employ this in registration, but it sounds like it might help.
There is no empty space

judih
Site Admin

Re: stop bots...

Post by judih » June 26th, 2018, 3:34 am

great idea!
I wonder, Doreen, is this something you can do?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 26th, 2018, 6:42 pm

I can’t do it. I have no technical skills at all. We had several different bot stoppers in the registration throughout the years but I always hired someone to help me install them or had a volunteer tech person install them. I don’t have the funds to hire anyone now and I have multiple times posted asking for volunteers who had tech knowledge but nobody stepped up. Sorry, everyone.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » June 27th, 2018, 11:09 am

Doreen Peri wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 6:42 pm
I can’t do it. I have no technical skills at all. We had several different bot stoppers in the registration throughout the years but I always hired someone to help me install them or had a volunteer tech person install them. I don’t have the funds to hire anyone now and I have multiple times posted asking for volunteers who had tech knowledge but nobody stepped up. Sorry, everyone.
No problem. This site is precious for us and referrals should work to bring in new members

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 27th, 2018, 5:33 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I edited the info about how to register plus made a sticky announcement to stick it at the top of every forum on the site.

I added my email address. So even without a referral from any of you, people can send me an email message and I will get them registered. :) Thanks, Judih!

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » June 29th, 2018, 7:25 am

Precious yes. I had a nightmare a couple weeks ago that Studio Eight was no longer here. :shock:
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Return to “General Discussion”