Hurricane worry, get me novicane

Go ahead. Talk about it.
bennie

Hurricane worry, get me novicane

Post by bennie » September 17th, 2004, 11:40 am

I'm worried about the hurricane? All the way over here in sunny, relatively sunny, Scotland?

Well, yes, yes I am.

I hope everyone I sort of know from Litkicks is okay and doing okay and there home is okay and there dog didn't get sucked up into...

"we're not in kansas now..."

We've been getting lots of footage on the news over here and I haven't heard from Alicia in a few days. I have my panic head on.

It's sort of: :!: meets: :? meets: :cry:

I hope you're all well.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 17th, 2004, 12:29 pm

bennie,

I think Alicia is probably ok. Montgomery is fairly well inland.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/maps/alabama_map.html

they probably got some heavy rain but no tidal or wind catastrophes.

I think Bill was without power for awhile when Charlie hit.

Why doesn't our government declare a "War on Hurricanes?" They could do small nuclear preemptive strikes on the when they are still in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa. The fallout would drift back over the continent and perhaps take care of part of the AIDS problem. It's a neo-con win/win situation.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

bennie

Post by bennie » September 17th, 2004, 12:52 pm

there's no money in that.

Although I can hear him now: "the Winds hate our freedom"

Have you heard of David Cross?

I think you'll enjoy his comedy, LR.

Try and download some of his stand up. HE mixes political frustration with social observation and his own little nuances. He's a jew from the south. He's very funny.

The good thing about all this bad weather the south is having, is: there were pictures of New Orleans in the papers and on TV. Apparently it's the biggest, or only, City in the US below Sea level so if it got hit it would have been hit badly.

It's a beautiful fucking place man. I didn't realise it was in the South though.

I love all those old wooden Creole cottages with the ornate facades and the french quarter...

I want to visit New Orleans before it's swept away.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 17th, 2004, 1:01 pm

the first time I went to New Orleans
it was for three days.
Three months later I finally left
There was music on every street in the French Quarter
and since it's ten feet below sea level
nobody ever sleeps there it seems
the bars never close.

First, I found that if I just pulled my horn out on the street and opened my case, in about fifteen minutes there would be enough money in it to buy a steak dinner or rent a room for the night. What's not to like?

Then I started getting gigs in the little clubs from sitting in. I played for awhile in alternate sets with the Neville Bros when they were just a young brother act and they all wore blue blazers.

I have vowed that one day I will go and spend another season there and rent one of those balcony lofts with the wrought iron grilles in the Quarter and write a decadent play dedicated to Tennessee Williams.
Last edited by Lightning Rod on September 17th, 2004, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » September 17th, 2004, 2:35 pm

Bennie:

Here's a nice, rather famous, song for you-- to help you remember New Orleans:

(link)

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/louis-armstrong/85364.html

There's another site which I think gives you the MP3 of Louis Armstrong performing the song. But the damned site had a lot of flashing lights and ads, so I x'ed it off.

Look in Google, though, if you want to hear the song. Unless LR has a better recommendation.

--Z

Return to “General Discussion”