Go ahead. Talk about it.
knip

spring planting

Post by knip » May 22nd, 2005, 8:38 am

almost there

beans and peas and lettuce by seed two weeks ago
brussels sprouts last week
beefstake tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and english cucumbers today

trimmed the raspberries (two seasons too late, i know)

got some pink and white impatiens in amongst the rock garden perennials this morning

this aft in goes the black-eyed susans, coleus, and yellow marigolds in the sunny bed amongst the perennials

how does your garden grow in this finest of seasons?

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » May 22nd, 2005, 9:16 am

It could be a bumper crop of morning glories. One 97 cent package of seeds. I counted about thirty seeds. Seems like they all sprouted. but about five or seven have really taken root. I hear they are climbers but I am not sure how they do it. My memory of my grandmother's garden was of them clinging to a brick wall. I wonder if they will develop little fingers to grasp the wall. I bought some wooden dowls for them to climb. Tomatoes, three plants going of the small little grape sized variety, got four growing on one plant, three on another, and some yellow buds on the third. It is in the ninety degree range down here, summer is here. I been thinking about maybe some violets. But it might be too late.
free rice

I used to be smart

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » May 22nd, 2005, 10:06 am

mmmmmmmm....

seeds of life sprouting all around....sometimes I wonder does it get any better than this....the simple things, the little simple things.

I have my flowers all around. Some were destroyed by howling wind, their little heads whipped off, scattered all over my lawn. But, new flower buds coming so the minor devestation soon forgot.

Sadly no garden for me this year. I'm letting it rest. I shall have to depend on the kindness of neighbours for my fresh veggies.

My favorite flowers surround me on my deck....pansies with their friendly little faces, petunias, geraniums, golden marigolds and begonias. I have scattered wildflower seeds here and there to attract the butterflies. Sweetpeas, always a favorite flower, are planted and soon set to sprout. Hummingbird feeders are out and being well-used. I have yet to plant my impatiens but they are always a must have....they are so tenacious and ever-blooming....I love them. I looked and looked and have yet to be able to acquire any morning glory seeds or plants, I am disappointed, I'll keep trying....yes they are climbers and wonderful danglers from hanging baskets and window boxes.

Thanks for this thread Knip.....how I love the flora and fauna. The deer will soon appear to knibble the fruits of our labour...I don't half mind. :D
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » May 22nd, 2005, 11:12 am

Yeah thanks knip, I love gardening too, it is so boring.
Dunbar, in a bed across from Yossarian, stares blankly at the ceiling because he believes boredom increases his life span by lengthening time.
It amazes me that I can keep all these plants going. I have murdered more plants by neglect than agent orange. But this year I got an Aloe Plant that is taking over the world, Ivy is going wild, and a couple three more that I don't have a clue what they are. I had this purple one that my neighbor told me is bad luck, my sister says it is a wandering Jew.
free rice

I used to be smart

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » May 22nd, 2005, 4:44 pm

Whoa! Something changed! Cool.

My garden. Hah! I would love to grow a real garden, but starting one overwhelms me. I don't know how really. I have a hard enough time starting the lawn mower to mow. (tommorrow afternoon's chore).

I'm looking around for someone who wants to grow a garden with me. I've got a great spot for one, be nice to have a small communal garden going, so we can eat.

Tips on starting a garden from scratch are welcome.

H 8)

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 22nd, 2005, 5:22 pm

I've planted this years flowers to replace the ones that died from last year. I hope they will live this time. I've also got a hanging flower basket but I've decided to put it on my outdoor patio table and have the birdhouse hang from the tree instead. English cucumbers???? I thought there was only one kind of cucumber and that was just cucumber.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

abstroint

Post by abstroint » May 23rd, 2005, 3:07 pm

I have to be quick. I'll get to the list of flowers later.

Hester

First, of course pick a sunny location away from large trees, so the roots are not in the way. Next dig up the grass and any weeds, some of these are rough to get out. It helps to dig a trench around the garden so the grass and weeds don’t creep back in. If your waiting till next year to start, it would be easier to mark off the area with stakes and cover it till next year with some sort of compost material; leaves, newspaper….(wet down they should stay in place). Some of the hardier weeds will sprout through, pull ‘em. I don’t know if you want to go so far as to test the soil, it should be fairly neutral. Mine is near a pine tree, so, a bit acidic and I had to add lime. The next step will be easier if you have a tiller. The soil has to be very loose, and it doesn’t hurt to aerate it. My soil was very clay like, so this year I tilled in some sand. Also it’s a good idea to add compost before tilling. this mixes it all up for you. I’ve just started a compost pile this year but bought some peat and manure. The manure didn’t smell and yet I had trouble with whole idea of it. I managed because I’ve gotten very serious about this whole vegetable garden thing and figured I won’t need it next year with the compost I’ll make on my own for next year. If you don’t have a tiller this has all got to be done with a shovel dig, dig, turn the soil, break it up.
Ok, if you’re still into it, next the rows have to be planned. Spacing about two feet apart seems to be working well here. The plants in the rows placed at about a foot. Some plants like to be placed on top of mounds, such as, pumpkins. All depends on what’s going to be growing there what the spacing should be but generally the two and one foot thing will work. Oh, I didn’t do this last year but apparently the rows should be in small mounds so you can take the edge of the hoe and make a line down the middle, drop the seeds in, and cover them. This was easier than making a bunch of holes. Also, some plants have to be planted in the fall and harvested the following year. Some take years to mature. I’m still experimenting so far all has gone well but the broccoli. I didn’t know you had to trim it before the whole thing goes to seed. After it’s started it’s a matter of weed and water. Just a side note here: mothballs around the perimeter keeps many of the animals that like to eat green stuff away. I’ve yet to find a way to keep the rabbits out. Every morning there is a rabbit inside my fenced in garden that I have to startle out. The first time I caught the rabbit I got all caught up in how cute it was and just watched as it eat the lettuce.

abstroint

Post by abstroint » May 24th, 2005, 9:16 am

marigold azalea rhododendron bearded iris morning glory grape hyacinth day lily tulip cone flower daisy cranberry raspberry strawberry rose columbine chocolate chip four o clock ivy black eyed susan mum lily of the valley begonia wildflower lilac rose of sharron dutch iris snap dragon moss rose a bunch of potted plants some wild stuff I haven’t identified and whatever the names are of the rest I usually forget

pics from two days ago

thanks for the garden thread Knip. I love gardening. It’s a great way for me to stay grounded. I can be quite the cosmonaut without something to keep earth bound.

knip

Post by knip » May 24th, 2005, 10:05 am

i love gardening as well...i'm not particularly good at it, but that's hardly the point

i like to get on my hands and knees when planting, and get very dirty...no gloves...by about 8 AM i am head to toe in dirt, which means my wife doesn't allow me in the house without stripping down and hosing off

so i am outside by about 7 AM on weekends, and stay outside until about 7 PM...wife and kids ferry food and other sustenance out to me while i play

handy spring hint if you live near mosquitos: eat lots of garlic so you can smell it through your skin....the mosquitos will stay away

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 24th, 2005, 10:50 am

That's alot of garlic!!!! So it really does work????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

knip

Post by knip » May 24th, 2005, 1:00 pm

yep

and it's not that much...eat a clove or two a day should do the trick

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 24th, 2005, 3:35 pm

The cloves around my neck of the woods are pretty big. So I guess one should do it for me.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 25th, 2005, 12:44 pm

Cynthia - your pix are truly luscious. Thanks for sharing.

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » May 27th, 2005, 10:43 am

Beautiful pics. Somebody's got the green thumb!

Come on a my house a mya house!
I'm gonna give you candy!
(remember that song?)
Anyway, I just mean you can come play in my garden anyday.

Remember one and all.....don't forget to water on those hot sunny summer days....your plants will love you for it! :roll: Mine hate me right now :? can you guess why? Plant cruelty.....there outta be a law! "But it's not my fault officer. They just sat there with their bright little faces and didn't say a word....little helpless victims at the mercy of the forgetful. :roll: Yes, officer, I'll go quietly."

Knip....can we just crush the garlic cloves and smear it on manually? :roll: I don't like the idea of having bad breath!

ps: you can see some of my flowers at my "mousey bits and pieces" thread over in visual arts. Taken before the "incident" mentioned above.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

knip

Post by knip » May 27th, 2005, 10:52 pm

mousey

i am sure that would work, but you would be missing out on the wet farts, which are great fun!

you in canada, right? whereabouts? i am south of ottawa

Return to “General Discussion”