Will I ever be satisfied?

Go ahead. Talk about it.
YABYUM

Will I ever be satisfied?

Post by YABYUM » July 8th, 2005, 2:31 pm

I have been back in Jersey for six days and already I am disgusted by familiar-arity (is this a word). Sure, it was nice to see and feel the ocean, it was great to see some old freinds and catch up with a few chicks that I had certainly missed, but dammit all to hell, I find myself in front of the computer googling state after state going through classified ad after ad looking for a job in some place I haven't been. My father is in my ear about how I am close to thirty and have no concrete plans and no social security built up. Over and over I hear about my good christian brother and sisters and about how they're either married or getting married and about how they're buying or have bought homes. I try to explain to my father and every other "adult" figure that I have goals and dreams and all that shit but they don't include mortgages, car payments, children, marraige, social security and all that other shit that happens when you exist on the grid. They tell me that I am immature and will one day regret the inaction of my youth. I don't think so. I am twenty nine years old and having a shitload of fun travelling. It's not like I'm some hobo on a train eating baked beans and drinking warm wine out of a jug.(not that i wouldnt) I work very hard in whatever city I am visiting. I always find rooms or apartments. I can build a house from the foundation to the finish (minus plumbing/electricity)
I can create dinners out of the most meager of ingredients. I can asses any situation and find a way to repair or escape it. Maybe one day I will wake up an old man with hands that cant hold a nail anymore, maybe I will contract cancer and wither away on a rusty couch in some local YMCA, maybe I will, maybe I won't. But for every bad possibility, there is also a good one. Maybe I'll write all these journeys down one afternoon and send them to Henry Rollins publishing company and make a fortune, maybe I'll meet some older woman who wants to be my sugar momma, or maybe I'll just keep getting by until the day I die. Maybe the "adults" are right. But if I'm to blind to see their truths..........well, here's to ignorance. Thanks for listening. I'm in a crazy, ranting, unsure, ready to go, kinda state of mind right now.

"maybe there is no heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish-a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found out a way to live out there where the real winds blow--to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whiskey and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested.....
Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll."
HST
Paradise Valley

[/i]

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 8th, 2005, 2:38 pm

We all choose the path of life that we walk apon and it's of our making.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » July 8th, 2005, 4:52 pm

that just made me go listen to ricky nelson singing "travelling man".
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 8th, 2005, 7:55 pm

"Follow your bliss.' I don't remember where I heard that but as long as you can you should...

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » July 8th, 2005, 8:40 pm

Hey diddley dee dee, life off the grid for me!

Show me a grid I want to get on then maybe.
What is the grid really, but a set up of yet another "false security" for the masses? The "terror" of not having a conventional job.
(These days it's security for the connected and sold out.)

It's a "security" that pulls out whenever it's money gets too low, or whenever it's "leader" decides to go to war. Leaving you where?

If the majority were off the grid then would being off the grid be the order of the day?

I think that if you can take care of yourself off the grid then more power to you. Certainly a "sugar momma" would be easy to find, they seem to be all over the place, "sugardaddies" woefully, a thing of the past....

I think you are ahead of your time. Stick with it.
I myself have just been offered the opportunity to write grants for a couple of agencies, contracted work, with good pay and no strings really. I'm liking this. I've written grants before and received sizable amounts of commission money for helping non-profits this way.

I also got word this morning that I've been selected to interview for a part-time position helping the homeless. I like part time anymore, as it has less strings than fulltime too. And I certainly can assist the homeless, would love to do so. That payoff in itself, tho not very monetary, is worth it.

Pretty soon, self-employment, contracted work, etc will be the order of the day I think. Though adjusting has been really difficult for someone like me who used to clear 40 grand a year in a career slot, I am feeling more secure than ever these days being my own boss.
There is work out there. Plenty of it. I've managed with a very small amount of help from my family. Most of my old friends have deserted me though, hell, I got nothin to offer them anymore I guess....and being off the grid, well, they just can't relate....heh.

It's like they say about fishing. Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Teach a person how to fish, they'll eat for however long the fish last. (I say this because the fishing industry where I live is almost non-existant anymore).
Point being, learn how to catch work, and you can always work. Strap yourself into one job and stake your future on it, and when they can your disposable ass, you'll be really lost and angry and unproductive, like I have been until recently.

I think you are actually ahead of the game.

Check out the Daily Astorian want ads!
I gotta room fer rent cheap!
:D
H 8)

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 8th, 2005, 8:53 pm

I just heard a tape or read somewhere that the most interesting people are those who don't know what they want to do when they are thirty, etc. Now I've got to track it down. I must say am enjoying tremendously your dilemma, call it getting in touch with my lost youth, yet I would NOT trade my years of down and out for anything. THEY WERE GREAT!!!!!

Sounds to me like you have your head together pretty darned good.

Jack Kerouak's house old St Pete

In the backyard of Kerouak's house.old St Pete.
He has a '66 Chevy, white, in the garage.
One day I'll get a picture of it, too. I swear. Got to go in the backyard and peer thru the window into the garage.

Jack's white '66 Chevy in there, thru yonder window.

Listen to Hester byall means, and glad you are here.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 8th, 2005, 9:04 pm

"Follow your bliss.' I don't remember where I heard that but as long as you can you should...
Joseph Campbell, duh.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

YABYUM

Hmmm.....

Post by YABYUM » July 8th, 2005, 10:08 pm

Astoria, huh? Thats in Oregon?I am actually looking into this corporation: http://www.cleanwateraction.org/
My good freind Nick has travelled the country working for these people and he swears by it. He is currently in Alaska having come from North Dakota. Before that he was in Florida. Before that he was here in Jersey, without a car, without a liscense, and hating it. You don't need a liscense nor do you need experience to get hired. I think tomorrow I will make a few calls to the contact name that Nick gave me.

Cecil, I like expression "follow your bliss" and I think I will continue to do so.

Jim, nice pictures. Who inhabits that house now?

To say that I am ahead of time is nice. As for not trading in the times when I was in the gutter picking up old cigg butts and re-rolling the tabacco, I wouldnt take those days back either.
It is having lived through those times that caused me to learn survival skills that I am sure very few people have. I also learned how to avoid the snares that cause me to be there.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » July 8th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Good question.

I ask myself the same question often.

I think the answer will always be No.

Y'know why?

There are just too many interesting, intriguing, creative things to do and places call me like a song and the world is filled with people i'd love to meet.

So, how can a person ever be satisfied when there's all that and no viable way to get to all of those people and places and to do all of those things?

Some yes but it's slow going when the responsibilities build up.

This is why I choose to live in a fantasy world.

In a fantasy world, you can go anywhere you want to go, do anything you want to do, create anything you want to create.... all right now.

My fantasy world has been known to keep me satisfied.

YABYUM

exactly Doreen.

Post by YABYUM » July 8th, 2005, 10:26 pm

When the responsibilities add up, it's slow going.
I think I'll keep responsibility at bay for as long as I am able.

ps.
I havent had a chance to visit your fantastic site as often as I like,
I've been reading from this site for three straight days. What a great thing you two have created here.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » July 8th, 2005, 10:35 pm

I can barely read it all myself... it's slow sometimes but there is a lot of wonderful content.... unfortunately, i haven't proceeded in creating the rest of the site only some pages for some writers and artists but it came to a standstill because i haven't had time

if you want to see those pages, click on HOME up top... the content is in the "images artists" section and also the "open mic writers" section... there's some really good stuff in there! There are a lot of fine artists and writers who have participated... those pages don't get hit much, though, unfortunately, because it's hard to get to and not interactive, i guess

anyway.... good to see you back reading and posting, and yeah, keep the responsibilities at a minimum...

i'm looking into moving to an island, myself, sans responsibilities.... it's my new fantasy.... might make it real.... swim all day in crystal clear water, dance all night under starlit skies, paint the landscape with the pigments of my soul

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » July 8th, 2005, 10:47 pm

"they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

My deck was my haven in spring and summer months.... on nights like this when the sky is clear, no humidity, barely a cloud... i'd sit out there and look at the stars and the moon. Tonight the moon is a sliver... a teeny sliver of light and the few clouds are close to the ground forming grey-blue mountains in the background. I just took a ride and saw it all. I came home to go sit on the deck and look up.

The neighbors have suburban floodlights on their house. One is directed toward my deck. I used to have an old wooden fence all around the yard. They asked if they could put a new fence up between the properties. I said fine. My old fence is gone and I miss it. The new fence is tall and white and plastic and reflects the light from their floodlight. I've asked them to deflect the light before and they said they would but instead turned it off for a few days but now it's on again.

I can't see the stars,
jupiter and mars.
The moon's on holiday,
it's a grievous situation.
I will walk until I find a spot
to sit and attempt to balance
the equation.

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » July 9th, 2005, 12:15 am

Yabyum, do it now while you can. Seize the day.....for none of us know what the morrow will bring. Too many look back on their lives with eyes of regret.....don't be one of those.

Curiosity killed the cat

But satisfaction brought him back

So go on

Kill that cat!!!! :D

And Doreen....

My sympathies :cry:

The world encroaches

But to steal the moon and the stars

Right from your eyes

Unforgiveable

My deck is my oasis, the place I go for silent solace, meditation and dreamweaving.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 9th, 2005, 4:07 am

Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.

- Walt Whitman
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » July 9th, 2005, 9:18 am

wow... the title sounds so rolling stone!!
You want an advice? (I´m an "adult" already...). Do what your bones tell you to do. Sometimes most of parent´s advices and recriminations are product of fear, his or hers own story lives and maybe love excess. There are no recipes for happiness or something like this. If I found someday a happiness-pattern I let you know.
saludos,

Arcadia

Return to “General Discussion”