What would you pick?

Go ahead. Talk about it.
singlemalt

What would you pick?

Post by singlemalt » December 20th, 2005, 3:08 pm

Would you rather be known as a world famous artist (author, musician, actor, painter) who was the absolute best at his/her craft (on par with Michelangelo, Brando, Dylan and Hemingway) and whose work will be studied and praised until the end of time. . .

Or would you rather be a great parent, have no fame at all, die and get buried in an unmarked grave and completely forgotten by every living being in 100 years?

firsty

Post by firsty » December 20th, 2005, 3:41 pm

if a great parent is forgotten in 100 yrs, that means necessarily that one has no grandchildren.

i would rather make my children happy than you idiots happy, if thats what you're asking.

but if that means that my children never experience the joy of parenthood, then i wouldnt wish that, either.

if i were david lee roth, i would rather be able to read chuck p than be able to wear spandex at 50. but if i were ian anderson, i'd rather have tea leoni playing my flute than win a grammy for best heavy metal album. and if i were bob dylan, i still would have written "forever young," because it really all does go back to the kiddies.
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 20th, 2005, 4:04 pm

(a spinoff from firsty's reply)-
It would be nice if I could make all the beautiful people in the world happy, including all of you, and if the public were enamored by my work and I became a world famous artist, it would only reinforce my conviction that none of you are idiots. ;) Fame, however, is not something I would ever seek as a goal.

(a reply to the original post)-
I would also like to be a great parent who has taught my children how to love, how to give, how to nurture their creative spirit, how to run and duck when necessary, and how to fight for what they believe in. :) To be remembered by my family (or anyone else for that matter) as a great parent is also not something I would seek as a goal and it wouldn't bother me one bit if I died and were buried in an unmarked grave and completely forgotten by every living being in 100 years (or even 10). Hell, I won't be here. What do I care?

I really don't see the connection between the two, singlemalt, and how you can ask to choose between them since to choose between two situations with an either/or, there would have to be a connection, seems to me.

:D

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » December 20th, 2005, 6:16 pm

you want to know how I can ask such a question? how I can compare the two?

because it's my thread damn it. it's a hypothetical question to get some chatter going. so, like, back off. and answer the question.

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » December 20th, 2005, 6:18 pm

and, firsty, yeah, i wouldn't mind tea leoni playing my flute either. but my second wife might be a little upset. you may have heard of her -- jessica alba.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 20th, 2005, 6:20 pm

I DID answer the question.

V-Agent

Post by V-Agent » December 21st, 2005, 2:29 pm

Hmmmmmm... world wide fame, a disgracefully large bank account, millions of devoted groupies ready for a fivesum in the jakuzi, drug-fuelled sessions throwing TVs out of hideously expensive hotel's windows and a whole slew of records posing a masterclass for musicology lectures.

Nah... I'll take the soiled nappies any day...

I'd definately take the sex, drugs and rock & roll, but at the moment I'm still 30, get back to me when I'm in my 40s, though chances are, I'd propably still rather go out with a quick heart attack in a hot tub snorting coke of the perky breasts of four of my fave groupies than some weird stress related cancer lasting years until curtain time.

Ideally though, I'd like to say both: at least that way you'll have some great stories to tell your grandkids when they are visiting you in your mansion in the Buda foothills overlooking the Danube, the Erzsebet Hid and the sparkling lights of Pest...
I like art shows, the booze is free...

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » December 21st, 2005, 3:19 pm

I chose not to be a parent thirty years ago, for good reasons which I'll keep to myself.

As for groupies, most of mine are over 70.

I wouldn't turn away Lady Diana Rigg, however.

Or, let me be specific-- Emma Peel about 1963. Lady Diana is now 67 years old . . .

http://www.donnadelfuturo.it/attriciero ... narigg.htm

--Z

firsty

Post by firsty » December 22nd, 2005, 12:46 pm

singlemalt, i thought you'd like to know that the paparazzi did catch you with your girl at the beach. nice tattoo, yo.

and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » December 22nd, 2005, 4:45 pm

singlemalt, i thought you'd like to know that the paparazzi did catch you with your girl at the beach. nice tattoo, yo.
yeah. i was kind of out of shape in that photo. but jessica digs me no matter what.

funny thing about tats. i wrote this short story about two guys in a bar and they're bullshitting and one of the guys starts riffing on tats and says they're bullshit -- fake scars, fake medals of honor. looking for a publisher as we speak, er type.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 22nd, 2005, 8:06 pm

Left a long string of friends,some sheets in the wind
And some satisfied women behind
Hey ride me down easy Lord,ride me on down

Leave word in the dust where i lay

Say "i'm easy come,easy go and easy to love when i stay"
A no brainer for me. My only choice is bitter fame.
free rice

I used to be smart

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » December 22nd, 2005, 9:33 pm

i'd rather be the kind of artist who's just tinkering down in the workshop. no children, no fame, no celebirty caliber, just producing work the caliber of my father's is a goal i can aspire to but can probably never reach.

but i wouldn't mind tea leone playing my flute either....
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

knip

Post by knip » December 22nd, 2005, 10:18 pm

hey, i look a bit like tea

and duchovny has had me....

Return to “General Discussion”