You are going to die.

Go ahead. Talk about it.
singlemalt

You are going to die.

Post by singlemalt » February 15th, 2006, 2:41 pm

it's true. in fact you are dying as you read this.

disagree? well, how about playing the odds. everyone who has ever lived, ever, has died. so the odds of you not dying is, like, zero.

so when your momma told you that you were "special" she was lying to you. you will die. maybe in five years, maybe in fifty. . . but you will expire, perish, crap-out, buy the farm, etc.

so the question is, what do you want to happen to your carcass after you die? burial? cremation? scientific experimentation?

well? what about it?

firsty

Post by firsty » February 15th, 2006, 3:11 pm

i want to buried in a monument built in the shape of a heartbreak.
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » February 15th, 2006, 3:52 pm

My friend O.P died of an overdose.

O.P. had expressed that he wanted his body donated to science, so Marcia, his wife spent a day or so on the phone trying to accomplish this. She finally got Southwester Medical School to accept the body.

I was worried about Marcia, she was taking it hard.

ThenI heard her talking to O.P's mother on the phone. They never got along very well.

She said, "Martha, you finally got your wish. Your son has made it into medical school."

At that point I knew she was going to be all right.

-----

my wishes on this matter are public knowledge.
I want to be cremated and have my ashes distributed to my friends in dime bags.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 15th, 2006, 4:15 pm

I really don't care what they do with my body. I won't be there. Cremation is preferable, though. The barbaric custom of an open casket makes me ill. Once I'm gone, why would anybody want to look at my dead body? I'd rather be remembered as I was when I was alive... (on a good day anyway... I hope they all forget the bitchy days ;)) And my tombstone should read, "I told 'em I was sick!" Mortality is a beautiful thing. It really makes you appreciate the moment.

Here's my poem - "deathrap"
Barry Gremillion on all instruments.
http://studioeight.tv/musicpost/deathrap.mp3

ButtercupNutSwirlz

Post by ButtercupNutSwirlz » February 15th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Funerals are morbid, designed to lighten the pocketbook and make loved ones weep.

No funeral for me. Cremate the mortal remains with no fuss made.

If those near and dear to me wish to gather at some later date as an excuse to make merry and my name happens to come up, may they remember me fondly, with smiles and good cheer.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 15th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Mourning is for the mourners

Cause the dead know nothing

I think I would prefer burial at sea if I had my druthers.

Most likely I will go for cremation. Cause it is probably the cheapest. I used to have a friend who wanted to be cremated and then have her ashes passed around in a pipe so everyone could take a toke.

I like John Prine's take on this

Please don't bury me
Down in that cold cold ground
No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up
And pass me all around
Throw my brain in a hurricane
And the blind can have my eyes
And the deaf can take both of my ears
If they don't mind the size
Give my stomach to Milwaukee
If they run out of beer
Put my socks in a cedar box
Just get "em" out of here
Venus de Milo can have my arms
Look out! I've got your nose
Sell my heart to the junkman
And give my love to Rose

LR it is funny, but I can't help thinking about what bitches women can be to each other.

knip

Post by knip » February 15th, 2006, 6:07 pm

actually, i hold lifelong rights to free burial at sea due to my position

i wonder if they expire when the 'lifelong' part expires?

:)

but i'll donate to science...all the paperwork's been done

in fact, i fully believe it should be mandatory

but it would be hard to reconciliate with certain religious beliefs, i think

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 15th, 2006, 6:38 pm

I don't think cremation is kosher. But then I am not kosher either..

I got nothing left to donate, every thing is worn out.

Interesting article in Harper's Magazine on The Resurrection Men, seems like grave robbing is still a thriving business.

The Resurrection Men
Scenes from the cadaver trade
Annie Cheney

I can’t find the article, not that anyone wants to see it. But she had an interview on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=1753465

I think I am an organ donor on my driver’s license. I wonder if that gets me a free cremation or something.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » February 16th, 2006, 12:09 am

don´t we talk about it already...? somewhere?
the family proyect is to be buried in a beautiful prado, but who knows? I have no intention to change that idea if it costs money.
Someone of my family told me (I don´t know if it was a joke) that during the Second World War as a way to broke the italians, the cementerios in Sicily and other regions were bombardeados, "they prefered to be destroyed their towns rather than their cementerios". Weird.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » February 16th, 2006, 12:12 am

if death is a certainty, what's all the fuss about?
you get born, you live, you die

can't we just get to the good parts?

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » February 16th, 2006, 1:58 am

I really don't care.

Cremate me. That's a good way to dispose of the flesh.

After that, I already told my parents that they can flush my ashes down the toilet if they want. After my spirit leaves my body, I am not picky about what happens to the body.

If someone wants to be ceremonious about it, we have a family plot in Golden Cemetery, not too far away. I would LOVE to be buried with my ancestors, if someone feels like giving me an elaborate burial. Just make sure it's my ashes and not my corpse, because I don't want to take up too much room. Being buried in the same cemetery with all those other Bonds and Songers would give my current ego a great big thrill.

But when I am dead, ego will not be a factor, so whatever.

My Dad wants some special Bach music played at his funeral, and everyone weeping their hearts out.

I already know that no one will cry too hard at my funeral. Most attendees will probably think, "Good riddance" even though it's an unjustified reflection. I never hurt anybody and I admit I never bent over backwards for anybody either. My parents did the same. But because they'll die with MONEY and dependents, there will be a lot of weeping. When I die, there will be a lot of nothing.

If I am LUCKY, there may be one or two SINCERE mourners. I wish.

It won't happen.

We live in an anonymous society. I see scads of obits every day in the papers. I see FUNERAL processions very rarely. Yesterday I got behind a limousine and a coffin car. That hasn't happened to me in YEARS.

The fact is, we don't honor the dead any more. We don't give a rat's ass, except for whatever money and assets they leave behind.

300 million people in this country. One less body is great thing. Most people feel a relief.

I look at my Great Aunt. Everyone seems to be waiting for her death. That seems sick to me. Her life was worth so much more. Why can't we honor her and give her a place in our homes and lives? But we can't. Everybody's got an excuse, a reason. They all seem legitimate. We're all fuckers. Maybe her older sister got the best of it. My grandmother died within two weeks, after a lifetime of happiness. Maybe that is better than seeing the protraction of indifference in your children over decades of neglect.

lovingpenfull

Post by lovingpenfull » February 16th, 2006, 6:34 am

I probably wont die, I don't mean that really nothing dies and we're all infinate and all that, I mean that it is likely that I won't end up dying ever. What makes me so sure? Just wait and see. But, if I do, I want to die in a way that nixes the question you're asking here. For example I want to die under some circumstance where they can't retrieve the body because it is too dangerous, or because there is nothing left of it because I ended up falling into a volcano or something, and in that case, forget about it, I'm gone. Or what about sharks, you're not going to track down the shark that got me, you couldn't be sure which one it was, they all look alike, I say let him go anyways. By the way, great hair Mr. Murrey. Isn't Bill Murrey the best, really he is one of my favorite comedians.
I am looking for a home for my thoughts.

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » February 16th, 2006, 10:35 am

abcrystcats wrote:
When I die, there will be a lot of nothing.

If I am LUCKY, there may be one or two SINCERE mourners. I wish.

It won't happen.
-- wow. nice way to perk up a Thursday morning.

lovingpenfull wrote:
By the way, great hair Mr. Murrey. Isn't Bill Murrey the best, really he is one of my favorite comedians.
-- the picture is from Kingpin. if you haven't seen it, it's fantastic. Murray plays the smarmiest guy. very funny.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 16th, 2006, 12:28 pm

<center>cremation.

may the fire
of the pyre
take me higher
than ever before

but before i die
i long to get high
and give it a try
just once more

connecting last breath
with inevitable death
with a mind of shibboleth
burning to score

[?]</center>

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 16th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Cecil that was beautiful.

"Even amidst fierce flames/The golden lotus can be planted."
The inscription on Sylvia’s tombstone reads, “Even amidst fierce flames the Golden Lotus can be planted”, which Hughes credited to the Hindu Bhagavad-Gita but in fact comes from the 16th-century book “Monkey” by Wu Ch’Eng-En, in which Monkey is taught the way of longevity.
I have the whole passage but I can't find it right now. Has nothing to do what you wrote but it just came to mind. Flames and cremation meaningless juxtoposition, but my monkey brain loves to connect the dots. :roll:

You know what gets me cat is how much paperwork is involved with dead a human. A cat or dog dies just throw it in the dumpster. But there is such a bureaucracy of death around us. I think we are all Tom Sawyers wanting to see our own funerals. Hey! I will come to your funeral and cry if you will come to mine.

Doreen speaking of epitaphs I like Dustin Hoffman's suggestion for his. "I could not have got here without my mother and father." Apparently it is a hobby of his writing them. He also liked this one, "I knew this was going to happen."

Penfull I think I know what you mean. My hero Captain Joshua Slocomb, the first man to sail around thhe world alone in in his sloop the Spray, this in the late 19th century, no radar, no radio, no loran, just a chronometer and sextant to navigate with. Later when he was a very old man he sailed out of Boston harbor about hundren years ago and was never heard from again. Sail on my captain, sail on salilor
Reminds me of Schroedinger's cat. Am I dead yet?

Return to “General Discussion”